• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling without official flight connection into/out of Paris

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2024)
Hi all, I've pulled the trigger on my first Camino (Frances route). Yippee and yikes. I'll be flying from US to Paris one way, then taking a flight from Paris to Biarritz a few hours later. I won't be checking any bags. Does anyone know whether I'll need to go through customs in Paris or is it possible to go right to gate of second flight? I have time to move the second flight if I need to build in extra buffer. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, you will go through customs in Paris as it is the first point of entry in the EU.

Your second flight is a domestic one, and will probably leave from a different terminal.

Just as a general announcement:

“Immigration” is about the people traveling from one country to another. It’s sometimes called “passport control” or “border control” depending on the airport. “Customs” is about the stuff those people are carrying with them.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I try to avoid connections at CDG. My most recent flight through there was on an Air France/Delta flight from Lisbon to Denver. I gave myself 4 hours for the connection and due to several last minute gate changes by the airline, I barely made my connection navigating from terminal to terminal.

We flew into CDG and with the scheduled hour and forty minute layover till our flight to Biarritz, I really thought we would miss our second flight. Surprisingly, after a quick passport check and a long and circuitous trek through several terminals, we arrived at our Biarritz flight with time to spare.

To summarize the foregoing: you will need to clear both passport control and customs when you first land in the EU. Generally, the line is longer at Passport (varies with time of day and other flights arriving ahead of you). International flights (especially non-Air France) arrive at a different terminal from domestic ones.
Note: CDG does not have a logical layout, and some of the signage is only in French. There is a connecting tram between terminals. "Terminal 2" is actually 6 terminals. Please consult an airport map (and maybe even print out a copy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
HI @Scooby2

Here is a map of Paris CDG airport. You can see, for example, that Terminal 2 has 2A through to 2G. Within Terminal 2, it can be a short or longer walk between, depending on where you are arriving to and departing from. If Terminals 1 or 3 are involved, it may take longer as these are in separate buildings. There is a shuttle 'train' that runs continuously between all 3 terminals.

You've indicated 'a few hours' in between. You may have a clear run and that will be plenty of time (the fact that you won't need to wait to retrieve your bags from the carousel will help). Or it may take longer than you imagine. That can depend on how many other international flights arrive around the same time, with all those people having to be processed. Bear in mind, CDG is one of the world's busiest airports.

You can use this page on the Easy CDG website to look up which airlines use which terminals. It may be useful in considering whether you are comfortable with the buffer you already have or want to add more time.

Safe travels.

1702652091398.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If your flight to Biarritz is on the same ticket - ideally with Air France or its codeshare- the transfer to a domestic terminal is less problematic. For example, If I arrive on Air France/Delta from the United States, I always arrive at Terminal 2E. To transit to a domestic Air France flight to Bordeaux, Toulouse, or Nice, I have usually gone to Terminal 2F. If your flight to Biarritz is not on Air France, you need to know which terminal and gate that airline uses. Someone on the forum who has transferred on Air France to their domestic Biarritz flight could probably tell you which terminal they used.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What time of the year will you be travelling? Hitting a holiday period might be slow, but otherwise CDG is quick. Customs shouldn't be a problem.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Please be aware that Passport Control can be a long process due to people arriving from outside the EU…especially if you are not a citizen holding an EU passport. Passengers arriving will be divided into at least two lines: those holding EU citizenship and those that are citizens of non EU nations. If your flight arrives at the same time as other flights coming from outside the EU with many non EU citizens, make sure you allow for the recommended transfer time. In addition, you may be randomly selected for custom inspections.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please be aware that Passport Control can be a long process due to people arriving from outside the EU…especially if you are not a citizen holding an EU passport. Passengers arriving will be divided into at least two lines: those holding EU citizenship and those that are citizens of non EU nations. If your flight arrives at the same time as other flights coming from outside the EU with many non EU citizens, make sure you allow for the recommended transfer time. In addition, you may be randomly selected for custom inspections.
When does the EU visa thing start? Is it still in 2024?

Hi all, I've pulled the trigger on my first Camino (Frances route). Yippee and yikes. I'll be flying from US to Paris one way, then taking a flight from Paris to Biarritz a few hours later. I won't be checking any bags. Does anyone know whether I'll need to go through customs in Paris or is it possible to go right to gate of second flight? I have time to move the second flight if I need to build in extra buffer. Thanks.

- easyJet and Air France fly from CDG Airport to Biarritz Airport.
- easyJet departs from Terminal 2D and Air France departs from Terminal 2G.
- Take the N2 bus from exit 2d on the 2nd floor of Terminal 2F and go to Terminal 2G.
-The second exit on the second floor of Terminal 2F is 2d.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
- easyJet and Air France fly from CDG Airport to Biarritz Airport.
- easyJet departs from Terminal 2D and Air France departs from Terminal 2G.
- Take the N2 bus from exit 2d on the 2nd floor of Terminal 2F and go to Terminal 2G.
-The second exit on the second floor of Terminal 2F is 2d.
Thanks for the details,
HI @Scooby2

Here is a map of Paris CDG airport. You can see, for example, that Terminal 2 has 2A through to 2G. Within Terminal 2, it can be a short or longer walk between, depending on where you are arriving to and departing from. If Terminals 1 or 3 are involved, it may take longer as these are in separate buildings. There is a shuttle 'train' that runs continuously between all 3 terminals.

You've indicated 'a few hours' in between. You may have a clear run and that will be plenty of time (the fact that you won't need to wait to retrieve your bags from the carousel will help). Or it may take longer than you imagine. That can depend on how many other international flights arrive around the same time, with all those people having to be processed. Bear in mind, CDG is one of the world's busiest airports.

You can use this page on the Easy CDG website to look up which airlines use which terminals. It may be useful in considering whether you are comfortable with the buffer you already have or want to add more time.

Safe travels.

View attachment 161047
Thank you, @Pelerina ! I will definitely use this for reference. I may also push my flight a bit further out.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back