A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Alternative Route Proposed For The Norte

2020 Camino Guides

peregrina2000

Staff member
I suppose that the silver lining to the explosion in pilgrim traffic on the Norte and other places is that the municipalities start clamoring to open new ones. For instance, this article describes an effort to get official status for the "Via Rexia do Norte," supposedly the most ancient Norte route. I will have to look at a map because I don't know these places, but according to the article, it would leave the Camino Norte in Abres (Trabada), go to A Pontenova towards Meira and then head to Lugo where it coincides with the Primitivo. This is good news for those of us who love the crowd-free-caminos.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...-antigua-camino-norte/0003_201703X23C3991.htm

Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000

Staff member
So great, we should support alternative routes as they spread the economic benefits around more fairly.
I think that's a great observation. The last time I was on the Francés and couldn't get excited about staying at Palas de Rei, I walked to a little place about 2 km off the route. https://www.gronze.com/galicia/lugo/o-vilar-remonde/albergue-pension-bolboreta. That afternoon I walked from the albergue to the Castle of Pambre and passed through places that were light years from the Camino yet just two kms away. But ... there's always a but ... there are people who make big investments in on-camino places and then find that the Xunta has changed the route so they have suddently become an off-camino detour. That is harsh.

notion900

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
>
I think that's a great observation. The last time I was on the Francés and couldn't get excited about staying at Palas de Rei, I walked to a little place about 2 km off the route. https://www.gronze.com/galicia/lugo/o-vilar-remonde/albergue-pension-bolboreta. That afternoon I walked from the albergue to the Castle of Pambre and passed through places that were light years from the Camino yet just two kms away. But ... there's always a but ... there are people who make big investments in on-camino places and then find that the Xunta has changed the route so they have suddently become an off-camino detour. That is harsh.
Yes, I dream of routes all over Spain, there is so much potential. So many towns and villages suffering economically and half uninhabited while others cash in.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 353 28.4%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock