• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative Route from Deba

Isolde

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte 2024
Portugues 2023
Next year in June we want to walk from Irun for two weeks on the Camino del Norte.
My question is: is there a possibility to Walk from Deba along the coast. I don’t want to go to Guernika.
Thank you for Information and buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Next year in June we want to walk from Irun for two weeks on the Camino del Norte.
My question is: is there a possibility to Walk from Deba along the coast. I don’t want to go to Guernika.
Thank you for Information and buen Camino
The PR-GI-22 splits from the Norte after Deba and will get you to Ondarroa, where you'll transition to the GR123. That's still going to take you into Gernika eventually, though, and no way around that, unless you can find a friendly boater. Keep in mind that while this parallels the coast, it often still climbs the hills overlooking the coast.

I haven't done that walk, but I have followed the GR123 from Gernika to Portugalete. Really enjoyed it. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-coast-between-gernika-and-portugalete.83571/

The PR-GI-22 splits from the Norte after Deba and will get you to Ondarroa, where you'll transition to the GR123. That's still going to take you into Gernika eventually, though, and no way around that, unless you can find a friendly boater. Keep in mind that while this parallels the coast, it often still climbs the hills overlooking the coast.

I haven't done that walk, but I have followed the GR123 from Gernika to Portugalete. Really enjoyed it. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-coast-between-gernika-and-portugalete.83571/
Thank you very much for the Link. I think this is the way I Look for. For me it Sounds very good. So I can Go around Bilbao and visit the town at the Ende of my hike.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can I piggyback on your question @Isolde and ask is anyone has walked from Zarautz past Deba to Ibiri? I ask because I am planning to walk a few weeks on the Norte in September and I love the sound of the Albergue at Ibiri, and am thinking "well it's only another 5k from Deba?"
Also where do folk who have walked the Norte recommend in San Sebastion? A lot of choice in this tourist town and quite pricey?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can I piggyback on your question @Isolde and ask is anyone has walked from Zarautz past Deba to Ibiri? I ask because I am planning to walk a few weeks on the Norte in September and I love the sound of the Albergue at Ibiri, and am thinking "well it's only another 5k from Deba?"
Also where do folk who have walked the Norte recommend in San Sebastion? A lot of choice in this tourist town and quite pricey?
It'll depend on your dates. Early September is still holiday season. By mid-Sept prices are dropping. There are usually plenty of places between €30-40 if you don't mind shared bathrooms. Add another €10 for private facilities. Berking is showing 8 places under €50 for mid-Feb. Prices will be similar mid-September

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Love Izarbide. There's some uphill in those 5km, so don't expect an easy stroll! But I love the view from the picnic benches across from the albergue, and have often found the evening to be quite convivial there. They've done a great job of making the albergue in Deba work for a lot of pilgrims, but my preference is to stay in Getaria instead of Zarautz and then Izarbide instead of Deba.

As for San Sebastián... yeah, it's tough. Albergue La Sirena is the best value, and they dedicate some space to pilgrims, but it's at the very end of town. It's hard to summon the will to go back into the center from there, so even though you're technically staying in SanSeb, it barely counts. I suppose one could uber or bus easily enough. I'd see if you can snag a cheap room in a pensión on booking.

Can I piggyback on your question @Isolde and ask is anyone has walked from Zarautz past Deba to Ibiri?
I did this year. I walked from Getaria, which made it a 22.6 km day. I made a reservation at Albergue Izarbide Aterpetxea via WhatsApp. This is a fairly difficult stage, especially if you take the coastal route which I recommend because it is stunning. An advantage of staying at Izarbide is that you will have a shorter walk to Markina the next day, and have already done some of the climbing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did this year. I walked from Getaria, which made it a 22.6 km day. I made a reservation at Albergue Izarbide Aterpetxea via WhatsApp. This is a fairly difficult stage, especially if you take the coastal route which I recommend because it is stunning. An advantage of staying at Izarbide is that you will have a shorter walk to Markina the next day, and have already done some of the climbing.
thanks @trecile . I was thinking of walking on to Getaria, instead of stopping in Zarautz.. Did you stay at the Albergue in Getaria?

Perhaps it is something new or just that I am starting a bit earlier before the end of August, but a couple of Hostels including the one at Getaria, only offer a minimum stay of 2 nights if it's a weekend.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love Izarbide
Dave, or anyone else, were you there recently? Is Nerea still in charge? I also loved it back in 2017, but there was a bad period soon after that seems to have involved family medical emergencies, turning the operation over to someone who was not as committed as Nerea, and a slew of bad reviews.

There was a thread on the situation years ago, and re-reading it now reminded me that Izarbide had taken itself off Gronze. It looks like it is still not listetd there, which must have a huge impact on its business.

They do have a website with instructions for reserving.

I agree with @Dave about the setting - up on a hill, out in the middle of nowehere, with a very comfortable “sitting pasture” with recliners and I think a few tables for writing or eating.

We avoided it because there is no cheap accomodation.

I think the Peace Museum in Gernika is itself worth the stop. Much of the museum is not devoted specifically to the bombing, but to the horrors of war more generally, but there is a little room in which there is a “re-creation” of the day when the bombs fell. Of course there is no way to recreate the horror with a few noises, shaking walls, and sirens, but I think that the opportunity to reflect on what it all meant and what came next is worth it. I remember that there is a narration in Spanish that starts out along these lines — it was a normal day till the church bells started ringing, though it wasn’t mass time; then the factory sirens starting sounding, though it wasn’t lunch time. The glass floor covers debris and objects recovered from the town after the bombing, I think.

Dave, were you there recently? Is Nerea still in charge? I also loved it back in 2017, but there was a bad period soon after that seems to have involved family medical emergencies, turning the operation over to someone who was not as committed as Nerea, and a slew of bad reviews.

There was a thread on the situation years ago, and re-reading it now reminded me that Izarbide had taken itself off Gronze. It looks like it is still not listetd there, which must have a huge impact on its business.
I was there last May. I have no experience of what it was like previously, but I do remember reading negative reviews at one time.

I found it to be a good place to stay, though I wasn't able to enjoy the outdoor area because it was a rainy afternoon when I was there.

They were very well organized. Everyone got a bin to take the things that they needed into the dorm rooms and there were lockers for everything else.

I opted for the communal dinner, but the to-go breakfast that they offered for €5 was not appealing to me, do I survived on potato chips I bought the day before until I got to Markina.

It didn't appear that their business is suffering - they were full the night I was there.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was there last May. I have no experience of what it was like previously, but I do remember reading negative reviews at one time.

I found it to be a good place to stay, though I wasn't able to enjoy the outdoor area because it was a rainy afternoon when I was there.

They were very well organized. Everyone got a bin to take the things that they needed into the dorm rooms and there were lockers for everything else.

I opted for the communal dinner, but the go-to breakfast that they offered for €5 was not appealing to me, do I survived on potato chips I bought the day before until I got to Markina.

It didn't appear that their business is suffering - they were full the night I was there.
The other good news is they are mentioned with full details and favourable comments, in the new Camino del Norte guide, which is where I got the details.

Lots of people don’t want to go to Guernika. There must be a reason for that but it escapes me
I wondered the same thing, too. I thought it a lovely, well maintained town, but of course it is "newer" than most. I have read the book of the same title, so possibly the reason has to do with the sad bombing it experienced in 1937.

I am thinking that staying at Ibiri, gives me the choice next day to walk to Bolívar or Zenarruza and stay at the Monasterio, which sounds wonderful. Any folk stay there?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am going to start a new thread as I would love to hear other people's stages on the Norte. Especially taking in Laurie's alternative routes which could add mileage or not and also give other accommodation choices.

the Monasterio, which sounds wonderful. Any folk stay there?
I stayed at the Monastery on one of my very earliest caminos, my first Norte in probably 2005 or 6. It was one of those stops that I’m very glad I made, and it was a very nice experience to stay in the monastery. The church and cloister are gothic and baroque, I believe, so none of my favorite Romanesque, but it is always so special to have a big block of time to just sit inside a quiet church and contemplate the big questions. Though the albergue itself wasn’t as damp as the albergue in the Samos monastery, it was very damp. And the food offerings were not enough to sate most people’s hunger. Not a complaint, except that there were no other alternatives at that time in the town and we had been told all about our monk-prepared-dinner (kind of like the garlic soup lore of San Juan de Ortega). On a subsequent camino, I stopped outside the monastery for a break and had a nice chat with a monk who indicated that pilgrims were not like they used to be and that he was getting tired of the entitlement. And the low level of donations. I’m assuming they are still providing the evening meal, but I’m not sure. I would bring along more food as a backup, and make sure you have something to deal with chilly dampness, and with those caveats, I would say it is wonderful, just as you thought.

I am thinking that staying at Ibiri, gives me the choice next day to walk to Bolívar or Zenarruza and stay at the Monasterio, which sounds wonderful. Any folk stay there?
Is A Izarbbide in Ibiri open? I've tried two links and they are broken or listed as dangerous.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't know. Have you tried phoning them or sending an email? I sent a message through WhatsApp last week but it hasn't gone through for some reason ( only 1 tick against the message, which I think means it hasn't been sent?)

Dang - Some unfortunate news: Albergue Kanpaia (Kanpaia Aterpea) in Getaria has closed. Another pilgrim-focused albergue on the Norte in Basque Country bites the dust. That makes the "stay in Getaria, push onto Izarbide" move a little harder, though there still is the other (more expensive) hostel in Getaria.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.