• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Salinas on the Camino Norte - when was route changed?

Nancy Lake

Time of past OR future Camino
I’m currently on the Camino Norte and can’t figure out why Wise Pilgrim app and the village to village Camino Norte book gave descriptions to Salinas but the route has moved? I made a reservation in Salinas and followed the arrows out of Aviles and ended up in the next town over and had to backtrack. When was the route changed and why aren’t the apps/books updated? Am I doing something wrong. I only downloaded the maps on Wise Pilgrim a couple of days ago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gronze shows the Camino going through Salinas.

Maybe the markings in this area are not good?

Screenshot_20240319_091733_Firefox.jpg

Changed a few years ago:

I can't speak to why those aren't updated, but speaking more broadly, the Norte seems to be re-routed in so many small ways (sometimes back and forth) that it can be tough to catch some of these swiftly. I don't know how many guidebook/app authors are able to make it back out on the route annually, so we're reliant on reader updates, and you might be surprised by how few readers send in updates.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I make a reservation, in the last few kilometres before I will arrive there I will use either apple or google maps and use this guides to the reserved accommodation. I do not always follow the yellow arrows. I trust the apps more than the markers, but this is only my opinion. If a way splits I check the app immediately and decide what will be the better option for myself.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Changed a few years ago:

I can't speak to why those aren't updated, but speaking more broadly, the Norte seems to be re-routed in so many small ways (sometimes back and forth) that it can be tough to catch some of these swiftly. I don't know how many guidebook/app authors are able to make it back out on the route annually, so we're reliant on reader updates, and you might be surprised by how few readers send in updates.
Ah, good to know. I'm walking in late April/May/early June and will send updates, if that's helpful. I'm slightly terrified of all the route changes (and have made note of many of them), but will try to stay upbeat~!

We discovered the changed route when we walked the Norte last spring. At one particular intersection, my map said turn right to go toward Salinas but the the arrows pointed ahead. We opted to go to Salinas anyway because it looked like the next best place for coffee. (We left from Aviles before coffee shops were open.) We're glad that we went through Salinas despite the challenging hill on the way out of town. The waterfront was beautiful; that said, there was no coffee along the waterfront early in the morning but we found several bars and cafes just a little off the beach in the north end of town. There was also a greengrocer where the owners were extremely helpful.

I walked it last fall using Wise Pilgrim. It was off the mark in numerous areas, so I started using Buen Camino in addition. It was generally more in accordance with the main trails, but not always. Sometimes both apps were off the mark due to apparent very recent changes in the routes. Anyway, I never really got lost; just had to wing it back to the Path a few times using both apps and Apple Maps. In most cases I took the coastal choices, and am glad I did.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.