• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative Routes - Betanzos to Bruma

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles fr. Ferrol 8/2024
Gronze shows and recommends two alternative routes on the Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma stage -- one at Cos, and one just a bit before the merge with the A Coruna route. Can anyone provide a bit more info on these beyond Gronze?

Clearly, as to the first, Gronze makes the alternative much more attractive, but it is a more difficult walk, for example? The later alternative route isn't really discussed at all.

Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmmn...seems like a few years ago there was a lot of re-routing of the Ingles. I have not been on it, but wonder if this accounts for the two routes?

Hmm, can’t help really it’s been a while since I passed that way. Memory says it offers two opportunities to get off minor roads and onto forest tracks (with nice deep ruts if the loggers have been active). Turismo Galicia have buggered about re-routing, paving and “improving” the Ingles over the last few years. Gronze’s map may not reflect the reality on the ground. You’ll still get to where you’re going

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Since 2014 I walked the Ingles three times and every time more roadwalking. Minor roads so you should not worry too much about traffic but it gets a bit tedious after a while.

The one detour you should try to avoid IMO is this one... So keep on the right for the camino official.

" Seguimos durante 150 metros a la izquierda por el arcén de la carretera (avenida de Laraxe), que cruzamos mediante un paso de peatones. Proseguimos por el lado contrario, con cuidado pues hay tramos de arcén muy estrechos y los coches van a gran velocidad. Al cabo de 300 metros tomamos a la derecha un camino de tierra (Camiño da Ínsua), que comienza en fuerte bajada; continuamos por éste hasta desembocar en una carretera local, que pasa bajo un viaducto de la autopista; al cabo de 400 metros llegamos a una bifurcación con un cartel informativo, donde deberemos escoger entre el camino oficial o un camino complementario (que supone un rodeo de 1,4 km adicionales). El camino oficial sigue a la derecha por la misma pista asfaltada (Camiño da Veiga), y al cabo de 1 km llegamos al cruce con la carretera N-651. "

Source Gronze

Do no take the camino complimentario. It takes you up and down very hilly forestpaths and you miss all the small playas at Cabanas because very abruptly you are in Pontedeume and you missed the Playa Magdalena.
We mistook this Complementario for the green route in the Brierley guide. They are not the same!

Last edited:
Gronze shows and recommends two alternative routes on the Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma stage -- one at Cos, and one just a bit before the merge with the A Coruna route. Can anyone provide a bit more info on these beyond Gronze?

I've written up both of those options here:

I strongly recommend the "old" route from Cos to Presedo. I prefer the newer route from Leiro to Bruma.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?
Hello all, I'll be walking the Camino Inlgés staring 21st May, along with my husband and my mother. My husband and I are relatively fit, in our mid-40's, and my 75-year-old mother is somewhat fit...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back