• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Atmospheric Light

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Has anyone used this in the rain?
And how can it be that the non-light version is apparently less waterproof than the light? The light gets the magic 2000 rating, the original only 1000.

But the main question is how it fares in a prolonged downpour.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is the same fabric as the Packa, which does fine in extended rain (some 55 days of the last 65).

Falcon (or anyone else) do you know if this is the same Altus Light that everyone was dissing about a year ago on the forum? The write-up for this one looks really good, but then they always do, don't they? I don't want to spend 45 euros on a piece of fabric that lets water through.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is kind of water-proof.
The one everyone was dissing, yes.
Made of 100% polyester.

I am using it now on CF, since June 3 in SJPdP. Works great, and given the frequency and volume of rain, it has been well tested!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kawneeo said:
Can you purchase one in SJPdP

If this is a general question, I believe the answer is yes. If it is a suggestion to me, I'll be walking elsewhere for a week before getting to St Jean so I'd like to have it before I go.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In SJPdP the only Altus in stock were colors a blind man would not buy, at least if his leader dog was not color blind. Hence, he was pushing the Ferrino line.

Pre-ordering seems to be effective at the store. The Ferrino seemed heavy to me compared to my old Altus, but it was quite suitable. Anything becomes a steam bath on me in warm weather, so vents make a poncho more comfortable, and the PackA has underarm zippers that go from wrist to waist! It is too short, though, to keep cargo pants pockets dry, so the Altus still gets my recommendation. And the PackA is mail order only, so is not an optioning St. Jean.

falcon269 said:
the PackA has underarm zippers that go from wrist to waist! It is too short, though, to keep cargo pants pockets dry, so the Altus still gets my recommendation. And the PackA is mail order only, so is not an optioning St. Jean.

Aha - pants pockets are not an issue for me, so maybe the Packa is not a bad choice after all (for me). The medium would fall to mid thigh. Except for the price of course!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Kiwi, I did check my Altus poncho and while I am 99% sure it is the one you are considering, it does not have any labeling to indicate such. It is light green and I purchased it at Caminoteca in Pamplona last month. The owners are wonderful (and veterans of the Camino) from Hungary and speak quite good English so you could just call them or email them and get more expert confirmation.

Good luck!

ZenPeregrino said:
Kiwi, I did check my Altus poncho and while I am 99% sure it is the one you are considering, it does not have any labeling to indicate such. It is light green and I purchased it at Caminoteca in Pamplona last month. The owners are wonderful (and veterans of the Camino) from Hungary and speak quite good English so you could just call them or email them and get more expert confirmation.

Good luck!

Light green - doesn't that make it one of the new ones? Is it shortish?

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.