• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

travel light

runboyrun

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
I stood on the scale today with an almost empty backpack with only a sleeping bag in it. Already 3.7 kg weight. What better to leave home for 6 days Camino del North in early September?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3.7 kg for a rucksack and a sleeping bag seems a bit much too me. So I would suggest considering looking for lighter alternatives. A rucksack may be expensive, but (as I see you are from the Netherlands) you may want to look at the sleeping bags at Xenos - they are cheap (app 20 euro's) and light (mine is 0.8 kg, and they do have lighter ones) - and are perfecty fine for a camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, the good part is that you don't need to add much more to that pack. So weight should still be fine. If it is comfortable, no need for a new pack or sleeping bag. For a shorter walk of six days it might be fine. Maybe fill it up with everything you'll need and go for a few day hikes to see how it feels. That's more important than weight.

If it is 3,7kg with sleeping bag, add maybe 1,5kg for clothes, 300g rain gear (light poncho or jacket), 500g hygiene+first aid kit, 1kg water+snacks, 500g electronics (phone charger or whatever).

That's 7,5kg including food and water. Totally okay. And it would still be easy to get that weight down more.

Don't worry too much. It shouldn't be a 18kg monster pack, but it doesn't have to be a 5kg ultralight setup either.

I still feel comfortable enough even with a ~15kg pack and I'm a smallish person with less than 60kgs weight.

+1 for the Xenos sleeping bags, though. I've got a ~500g(?) microfiber one since my Camino #1 in 2015 and think it's perfect for albergues. Was 35€ back then, I think. Good quality for the price!

I stood on the scale today with an almost empty backpack with only a sleeping bag in it. Already 3.7 kg weight. What better to leave home for 6 days Camino del North in early September?
What do they weigh separately? 2kg would be a bit on the heavy side for a backpack. That leaves 1.7 kg for the sleeping bag, which is enormous.

Decathlon MT500 sleeping bag, specifically the 15-25 degree version is a light 700g sleeping bag, perfect for this time of year.

I can't comment on the rucksack. I treat going on a camino like an expedition or trekking holiday and use decent trekking level kit including rucksack for it. Nothing worse than walking 700 km with a badly designed or ill fitting rucksack that bites into your shoulders and causes you back ache. ;) But for 6 days, it's probably not going to matter.

Your best bet is to go to a Decathlon, grab a sleeping bag and throw it in a rucksack and walk around the store. Do that for a few different ones and work out what you like. At the bare minimum get a hiking rucksack. If you have the funds, the lightweight mountaineering rucksacks in the 20-30L size would be better. Think like this rucksack will become your camino rucksack for the next 10 years. Maybe next time you walk for 2-3 weeks. You would need to modify your load out for that amount of walking (more stuff).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
More medication if you take it, maybe different clothing if you will be ending in a colder month than starting.

If you are fit and well, no health issues, no physical problems and or perfect, then yes your logic would be sound.

But not everyone is perfect. Some people have health problems, maybe have to take care of themselves properly. To do those things requires more supplies, which requires more carrying capacity and more planning.

I envy all these perfect people that can walk a camino with next to no weight. But I guess that's a perk of being young. I am neither young, nor perfect.

He who would travel happily must travel light.

Page 131, Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, author of The Little Prince. Free French Air Force pilot, killed in action.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I envy all these perfect people that can walk a camino with next to no weight. But I guess that's a perk of being young. I am neither young, nor perfect.

I do not think that people who can walk with super light packs believe they are perfect or a fair assessment of the person who writes their opinion. But I do agree 100% with the sentiment that you can walk with a 3, or 4 or 5k without any problem. It is true that you should take only what you need and not what you want or think you need. Need is something that you will use every or almost every day. Also when you walk will have a huge effect on how much your pack weighs. I am 69 and if I started in the summer months I could easily have a pack under 5k. (I carry a bulky but very light throw pillow. I need it because if I slept on most of the pillows in albergues either I would need to walk with a chiropractor or my camino would be over in a couple of days) Many of us do have necessities that no one else would think of or consider. It is just like when people say oh you can walk the CF or the Norte or whichever camino someone is asking about in x amount of days, no problem. I think if anyone gives this advice they should do it with a huge red flag because we are all different, in different shape, with different walking experiences, different, ailments, different problems with joints, bones or medical histories. As we all know there is also a wide range of unforseen blisters, illnesses, emergencies, exhaustion, weather and probably 10 others I haven't thought of, if not more.
My suggestion is to look at the packing lists that are mentioned here and in many other places. Also know that some of the items that people have in their pack may be super light but are often super expensive (I have no idea of your budget). There are alot of helpful suggestions. One small example is if you are leaving in a couple of weeks you may want to reconsider bringing a sleeping bag. But you also know your own tolerance for how warm/cold you are sleeping. I walked the Norte into November with a silk sleep sack. But the last few weeks of the camno I was sleeping with pretty much all my clothes on. But I was fine. Like I said take only what you honestly know you will need and use. Remember you are not walking in SIberia. Whatever you need will probably be available the day you need it or within a few days.

My pack is 1.48 kg and sleeping bag 430 grams.
There are lighter packs on the market.
They were my two most expensive items but will last for many Caminos and important for me where every gram counts.
I’m not so young and prefer to carry my pack so try to keep total weight around 6.5 kg before food and water.
But many people can carry much more.
Good luck and buen Camino
😀❤️

stood on the scale today with an almost empty backpack with only a sleeping bag in it. Already 3.7 kg weight
Others have commented above that it sounds rather heavy....
My Dueter 32l is just over 1,4kg. The warmest and by far the heaviest (and coincidentally the oldest - 39 years ) sleeping bag I own is 2kg, so I can easily see how you can get to 3,7 kg.
But - and it's a big but - there's no way I would be carrying that particular sleeping bag. 1/ it's massive, and 2/ it's designed for -20c, and you haven't talked about free camping on the Camino...
Either that, or it's a heck of a large pack!
Other's have given you excellent advice about cheap and light sleeping bags.
As for the rest of your gear, that's as individual as we are.
Personally, for the Inglès in the first week of April I carried 7,1kg. (If you want the full packing list I can send you a link).
I experienced both Frost's and 25 degrees on that short walk. From what I see (if you're lucky) the Norte conditions are likely to be similar in September . Perhaps without the Frost!
And the only thing I didn't use? My rain gear. I was extremely fortunate - no rain!
So think about replacing the sleeping bag, (or, if the pack is the culprit, perhaps you can borrow a suitable replacement?) ditch whatever you're happy to ditch, carry what you are comfortable with.

Comfortable

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My backpack was 1 kilo and my sleeping bag 500 grams. I walked the Camino Francés in April. I’m curious to know what backpack you have and what sleeping bag. Remember you will be sleeping indoors, a lightweight bag will be fine. (Mine was rated to 12°C and was more than enough, I had to unzip it some nights.

I've done several Caminos of up to 6 weeks duration with a small, light backpack that's around 32 litres and 3.8kg when fully packed. I never take a sleeping bag but instead a very light silk sleeping bag liner. If there's a cold night, use the blanket provided at almost all albergues and/or put on an extra layer of clothing. I take a small microfibre towel and one change of clothes as one can always buy anything extra along the way though I've rarely needed to. I buy 2 x 500ml plastic bottles of water from a supermercado that fit in the elastic pockets either side of my backpack when I begin my Camino and top these up along the way. I also carry a bumbag with my phone, small camera, money, passport, credencial and guidebook that in total is an extra 0.9kg and means I have all my valuables with me after I've showered and go for a meal etc. I've found the Village to Village guide books very good and also the Wise Pilgrim ones. While many pilgrims use an online app, I find it convenient to have a guidebook for times when a phone may be out of charge or out of reception. Walk light and enjoy rather than endure!

@Sharpy , that's incredibly light. Clearly your backpack must weigh very little. Agree with you on the sleeping bag liner, but personally I don't like cutting the rest that fine. Too many occasions in my early days where my one change of socks, underwear didn't dry overnight, and it rained the next day. Staying in wet, dirty clothes is NOT nice ( Nor is it good for your feet and groin) even on the hiking trail - and the Camino is not a backcountry hike! Compared to my hiking gear, 7.1kg is walking light, so for me super comfortable! Which I guess is where we both agree, it's all about what's comfortable for the pilgrims concerned.

Personally I love @davebugg's weight pain scale - see the hilarious but also thought provoking post:
'What Does 'Light' or Ultra-Light Mean'

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
LP
Actually, just came across another reference from @davebugg :
I know what total backpack weight I prefer on a Camino. It is a weight that does not detract from the enjoyment of my walk or hike,
Says it all really, doesn't it

Too many occasions in my early days where my one change of socks, underwear didn't dry overnight, and it rained the next day. Staying in wet, dirty clothes is NOT nice ( Nor is it good for your feet and groin) even on the hiking trail
Feel free to have a look at the list in my signature. I ended up starting with 3.6kg and that included plenty of changes of clothing. Packing light does not need to mean to pack little options.
(but to be fair, the downside of my list is the price of some items)

@Anhalter, I see your point. I’ve always bought items as I needed them, and they only get replaced if worn out. Some items are well over 30 years old.
Whilst my backpack is new - my hiking pack is way too big- it alone weighs 1.44kg which until I saw your pack weight I thought was very good. You save over 1.1kg there alone . 200 gms more on the rain gear, and so on.
I’m still definitely carrying more items than you - comfort, for me, is King - but I think I’ve learned from this conversation that perhaps I also need to concentrate a little more on the weight of individual items. Something I’ve never looked at!
Thank you

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Feel free to have a look at the list in my signature. I ended up starting with 3.6kg and that included plenty of changes of clothing. Packing light does not need to mean to pack little options.
I’m sorry for this silly question. What does it mean to look for the list “in your signature”? I tried clicking on various things but can’t find a way to see your list. Thanks for your help!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Two Caminos ago I changed from my faithful Deuter bag to an Osprey 38 and a lighter sleeping bag 600gs.
What a difference but I still carry around 7 or 8 kgs. suits me and I still carry my pack.

What a great list. I am going to order the socks that are on your list. I am a vegan and so can't wear the merino wool socks that are so popular. Do you wear the Injinji socks underneath the Wright socks?

What a great list. I am going to order the socks that are on your list. I am a vegan and so can't wear the merino wool socks that are so popular. Do you wear the Injinji socks underneath the Wright socks?
Nope, i took the Injiji socks for the sole purpose to be worn with my flipflops in case i got cold feet in the evening. I pondered taking sandals like Crocs that could be worn with regular socks, but could not find any that provided my desired need for comfort combined with weight so i took the toe socks as an experiment since they added little weight. Was quite happy with them, but toe socks worn with flipflops might be a thing only a german can pull off without being ashamed in regards of aesthetics...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
... but toe socks worn with flipflops might be a thing only a German can pull off without being ashamed in regards of aesthetics...
Ha ha. I live in Manhattan, NYC and wear toe socks with my Oofos flip flops, usually in October when the weather starts to get cold but isn't yet freezing. I love flip flops. Btw, I bought both the Injinji and the Wright socks. I like both.

Was quite happy with them, but toe socks worn with flipflops might be a thing only a german can pull off without being ashamed in regards of aesthetics...
Love this. I'm in South Florida since the early 80's. Flipflops has been my thing since I moved here, but in the winter (our winter ;)) you need socks for thermal protection.
I found Japanese socks are perfect for flipflops instead of 5 toe-pockets they only have 2, a smaller for the big toe and all the rest together.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.