• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

altus poncho please

pilgrim13

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk (2013)
Hi everyone....

i just want to ask where i can buy an altus poncho please? i am planning to walk the last 100 km ( Sarria to Santiago) of the camino frances this february ( 13- 17). I did try to look through the last threads of conversations here in the forum but i could not find a recent one. Someone recommended the Peregrinoteca site but there seems to be a very limited sizes and colours ( just checked the site right now )....I am based in London by the way.

Any alternative sites will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you falcon269 for your response.....I will be arriving late in the afternoon or early evening of February 12( Wednesday ) in Sarria though.... Will the shop still be open? Do you know the opening and closing time of the shop?

Thanks again.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Peregrinoteca shop will have all the Altuses that are available - the shop seems small but they have loads of stock. There aren't really many different sizes and colours to choose from - S/M and L/XL, red, blue or green for the classic model - but they should definitely have them. You could call them beforehand and ask them to put the one you want to one side for you? They are very helpful and as far as I remember someone spoke English. Good luck on your Camino, you will be safe from the rain and wind inside your Altus!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Peregrinoteca shop in Sarria is located on a corner of C/ Benigno Quiroga (the main cross street after the bridge) and Rua Marques de Ugena (leading to the stairs), directly on the Camino route. If you make it to the BIG stairs leading up and out of Sarria, you missed it. It was on the corner, just before the stairs, if I recall correctly. As you walk the Camino route into and through Sarria, it will be on the right side, far corner.

The shop looks small from the outside, but they have a lot of gear on offer. You will be surprised.

I hope this helps.

Hello,
I ordered altus atmospheric ponchos from barrabes in Spain (http://int.barrabes.com/altus-atmospheric-poncho-new/p-38356). The international page is in English but this link should take you straight there. I live on the west coast of Canada, just outside of Vancouver BC. The poncho arrived in 4 days!!

On another note: The original ponchos were apparently waterproof and wonderful according to some pilgrims who used them to their complete satisfaction, but recently there have been problems with the ponchos not being rainproof . However I do think the ones now labeled as NEW have solved that problem. I personally own two different ones that are in the middle batches -okay in a light, misty rain but completely useless on my caminos. Last year, when asked directly Barrabes said the Altus ponchos were not waterproof at that time. They are now labeling them as NEW and saying they're waterproof so it seems they may have corrected the problem. Be aware though that any of last years models MAY still be an issue. Just a heads up.
I just checked the peregrinoteca website. One of the ponchos I and my walking partner have are the dark green ones. They are definitely NOT waterproof. The others MAY be.
Buen camino and I hope you have a dry one:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is strange because I have never heard any problem related with the waterproof system of any Altus poncho. I bought mine recomended by friends who have this model since years ago. I have been speaking with another pilgrims and I never heard problems about this poncho. I always heard that Altus Atmospheric poncho always works well.The difference between both models is the price: the new model is more expensive. It is reasonable that if the shop doesn´t have the old and cheap model, they want to sell new ones.
I chose kaki model in oder to save near 20 dolars and I´m completly sure that I will keep dry. Well, I know that I will be less fashionable but I don´t mind it :D

Hi everyone....

i just want to ask where i can buy an altus poncho please? i am planning to walk the last 100 km ( Sarria to Santiago) of the camino frances this february ( 13- 17). I did try to look through the last threads of conversations here in the forum but i could not find a recent one. Someone recommended the Peregrinoteca site but there seems to be a very limited sizes and colours ( just checked the site right now )....I am based in London by the way.

Any alternative sites will be highly appreciated. Thank you so much.
An alternative, although expensive, would be a Rohan poncho. Ours have been brilliant. They have changed slightly over the years but we haven't heard anyone complain that they are not waterproof and they last forever. You need to have a delivery address where the packet can be signed for, unless there is a nearby Rohan store where you can pick it up (and then there is no delivery charge). The page when I checked was still showing the sale price short version but I think this is now sold out/may be discontinued. The long one is best anyway because it goes well over a pack and down over the knees.

I have both the new and the old models.
I gave my old model to a friend when I bought the new one.
I regret it.
The new model condenses MUCH more - I get soaked.
I never had that problem with the old model.

Just sayin'...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you again everyone.....thanks for the links. It will be great indeed to have the poncho with me already before I arrive in Spain. Just feels reassuring and I won't have the hassle and worry that the shop might not have my size....:).

God bless everyone!

Annie: Re the condensation issue, I have just checked on the Peregrinoteca website and the 'new' red and blue Altuses are made from ripstop polyester, while the khaki ones and the lime and orange models are all made from polyamide. Could this be what makes the difference? I have a red one from 2008/9 which is brilliant, and that is also made from polyester, while my slightly more condensation prone Altus is a khaki polyamide one. I know this discussion on how to tell a 'good' Altus from a 'bad' one - velcro, Rain Series brand etc - has been going on for years but I just wandered (oops, Freudian slip) wondered whether the ones people are not happy with are the polyamide/poliamida ones? If so it would be really easy to find the superior ones.
Anyone have their Altus at hand to check?

Polyamide is a chemical class of polymers used to make nylons. Nylons (polyamide) and polyesters have different chemical and physical properties.

For example, see the following comparison of polyester and nylon raingear:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary/Learn/Clothing/DressingForTheOutdoors/JacketFacts.jsp

Bear in mind that there are many different kinds of polyester and nylon, which give rise to different properties. In addition, the way the polyester and nylon are spun into fibers, woven into fabric, and treated to make more waterproof (you will see the term "hydrophobic", which means water- hating) also affect properties like transmission of heat and moisture -- which affects condensation.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well done, and congratulations! Enjoy your rest.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.