• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Packa vs Altus Poncho

rainswift

Time of past OR future Camino
Jun 2024 - Portuguese Litoral + VE + Finisterre
The last thread about the Packa vs a poncho was from 2016, and I think things have changed since then.

I was going to bring a rain jacket and rain pants (no pack cover because I use a pack liner), but I've found on my training walks in the rain that I don't like having my backpack straps get really wet. I do have an umbrella, but that won't work in high winds, and the bottom-back of my pack will still poke out from under the umbrella, getting wet.

I have an Altus poncho weighing 322g, which would solve the wet-straps problem, but it's got no pit zippers and isn't very breathable, making me sweaty. The tiny front vents are not enough.

My route is the Camino Portuguese Senda Litoral and Variante Espiritual, in June. Caminoweather.com says the chance of "significant" rain is 23%, plus 19% chance of "light" rain, for that month. Average low 14C, average high 21C. I tend to run warm, not cold.

Considering ordering a Packa in size XS. Wondering if anyone wants to weigh in on the advantages/disadvantages, if you have a Packa?

From what I can gather:

Packa Pros:
- comes in red (higher vis than Altus olive green)
- has pit zippers
- works as a pack cover alone to deter thieves when moving in the city
- double-direction zipper for ventilating
- can be worn as a windbreaker alone (though the big pouch in the back will look silly)

Packa Cons:
- heavier than Altus (but only by a little- a small Packa is 368g, the XS weight is not listed on the Packa website)
- shorter than Altus, so I will need rain pants or rain kilt also, which then increases total weight of rain gear

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My very personal opinion, last year on the Camino Frances I used a Fjellreven Poncho (pro) Did not work for me. Too much stress to get it off and on, specially when you are covering the backpack. This year I will for sure use my superlight rain jacket and rain pants, and a raincover to my backpack.

My very personal opinion, last year on the Camino Frances I used a Fjellreven Poncho (pro) Did not work for me. Too much stress to get it off and on, specially when you are covering the backpack. This year I will for sure use my superlight rain jacket and rain pants, and a raincover to my backpack.

Thanks! I agree a poncho is harder to put on. The advantage to a front-zippered poncho like the Packa or the Altus is that there's an easy way to do so! If you have short T-rex arms like me, and struggle to get the poncho around the back, instead:

Hold the poncho in front of you by the shoulders, with the opening facing away from you. Then, flip the poncho over your head (and thus over your backpack). Now the poncho is already hanging centrally over your backpack. From there, it's easy to get into the sleeves.

If it's windy, face into the wind, then perform the maneuver. The wind will carry the poncho over your back and you can just settle it in. Just don't let go of the poncho!

TL;DR: go "over the top" instead of "round the circumference." Only works on ponchos with a front opening.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've got a Packa and swear by it. It is short, but I wear shorts and so it's only my legs that get wet and they dry fast enough. I love that it can be securely attached to the pack and then slipped on and off as needed throughout the day as it rains or stops raining. It is VERY different to a billowy poncho - hardly any comparison. Mine is ten years old and some of the seam sealing tape is just starting to peel off. I am going to reseal the seams with Gear Aid Grip Seam Sealer and see if I can get another ten years out of it. If not, I'll be happy to buy another.

OK, I have a good Gortex raincoat and rainpants and I also have an Altus poncho. When I am not wearing a pack the raincoat is best for me. More pockets and easier to manage. I didn't need rain pants. After only one or two tries with the Altus poncho I was able to don and duff after a little practice easily. For long days of rain on and off all day (mostly on), I just tied the sleeves in front of me and wore it like a cape and it covered my pack so I didn't need a pack cover. Did I look silly with a big green cape? Yes, probably, but its a Camino and we all look pretty silly.

On summer Caminos I have only every had one or two very short rain shower days. The poncho was a pain on those days. Just as I put it on, it stopped raining and just when I took it off and put it away.

I think the Packa is a bit heavier than the Altus. And maybe more expensive. I bought my Altus in Spain so it was less than having one shipped to me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On summer Caminos I have only every had one or two very short rain shower days. The poncho was a pain on those days. Just as I put it on, it stopped raining and just when I took it off and put it away.
This is when an umbrella comes in very handy; even a basic cheapie will do. I always bring one for that very purpose

This is when an umbrella comes in very handy; even a basic cheapie will do. I always bring one for that very purpose
No to umbrellas for me. Not allowed to have one when I was in the Army so I have never felt I needed one. Something else to carry or lose.

I did use one in San Diego as a tourist last month though and I did make Phil take one when he was in Santiago for a month one winter and he was grateful. (He was in the Army, too. No umbrellas there.)

Yes, I enjoy striding along in a summer rain with my umbrella in one hand and one pole in the other. Sure a windstorm would be different, but nothing works well then, especially if you wear glasses.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@GuyA here is your opportunity to pin your colours to the mast!! You might even become famous by sharing your putting-on-the-Packa videos....

Thanks! I agree a poncho is harder to put on. The advantage to a front-zippered poncho like the Packa or the Altus is that there's an easy way to do so! If you have short T-rex arms like me, and struggle to get the poncho around the back, instead:

Hold the poncho in front of you by the shoulders, with the opening facing away from you. Then, flip the poncho over your head (and thus over your backpack). Now the poncho is already hanging centrally over your backpack. From there, it's easy to get into the sleeves.

If it's windy, face into the wind, then perform the maneuver. The wind will carry the poncho over your back and you can just settle it in. Just don't let go of the poncho!

TL;DR: go "over the top" instead of "round the circumference." Only works on ponchos with a front opening.
Your instructions are exactly what I do with my Poncho. In fact
I find it really easy to put on when it is windy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been very interested in the Packa- it is easy to put on because you leave it on your pack like a pack cover. Then you can pull the arms and hood out from it easily if it starts to rain.

However, my pack is 30 liters and the maker of the Packa advised me that 32 liters is the smallest size that will work with it and even then it will be too loose. He advised me to look for something else.

If anyone has used a Packa with a small pack I'd love to hear about it!

Loved my Packa when I walked in the fall '22, but only had about 3 days of rain. It was easy to put on as a pack cover and then pull on over the rest of you while walking when needed, loved the sleeves, two way zipper, pit zips and visor on the hood. I think mine weighed 11 oz/312 gms for a size small, if I remember correctly. Used it with my 38 L Gregory Jade pack, and my daypack when I walked with only that (due to a few days of shin splints)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We've used our Packas since 2013, walking well over 5,000k of caminos in Spain and Italy. Love them. The ability to carry one deployed on your pack, and easily get into the jacket if the rain starts up again is fantastic. The pit zips let in a great deal of air and reduce sweating a lot. Mine weighs 329g (11.6) oz which I find quite reasonable. Not sure what the current models weigh. After 11 years the seams have finally gotten to the point of needing resealing; we happily got new ones which should arrive today. The owner of the company, Eddie Hinnant, couldn't have been more helpful when I contacted him.

We think the Packa is a genius product well worth the reasonable price. Can't imagine going back to a poncho, or a rain jacket.

We've used our Packas since 2013, walking well over 5,000k of caminos in Spain and Italy. Love them. The ability to carry one deployed on your pack, and easily get into the jacket if the rain starts up again is fantastic. The pit zips let in a great deal of air and reduce sweating a lot. Mine weighs 329g (11.6) oz which I find quite reasonable. Not sure what the current models weigh. After 11 years the seams have finally gotten to the point of needing resealing; we happily got new ones which should arrive today. The owner of the company, Eddie Hinnant, couldn't have been more helpful when I contacted him.

We think the Packa is a genius product well worth the reasonable price. Can't imagine going back to a poncho, or a rain jacket.
What size packs are you using?

I'm 5'8", carry a 48L pack, and use a medium Packa. My wife's pack is a little smaller, probably something like 45L. She's 5'4" and uses a small Packa.

Karl

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The last thread about the Packa vs a poncho was from 2016, and I think things have changed since then.

I was going to bring a rain jacket and rain pants (no pack cover because I use a pack liner), but I've found on my training walks in the rain that I don't like having my backpack straps get really wet. I do have an umbrella, but that won't work in high winds, and the bottom-back of my pack will still poke out from under the umbrella, getting wet.

I have an Altus poncho weighing 322g, which would solve the wet-straps problem, but it's got no pit zippers and isn't very breathable, making me sweaty. The tiny front vents are not enough.

My route is the Camino Portuguese Senda Litoral and Variante Espiritual, in June. Caminoweather.com says the chance of "significant" rain is 23%, plus 19% chance of "light" rain, for that month. Average low 14C, average high 21C. I tend to run warm, not cold.

Considering ordering a Packa in size XS. Wondering if anyone wants to weigh in on the advantages/disadvantages, if you have a Packa?

From what I can gather:

Packa Pros:
- comes in red (higher vis than Altus olive green)
- has pit zippers
- works as a pack cover alone to deter thieves when moving in the city
- double-direction zipper for ventilating
- can be worn as a windbreaker alone (though the big pouch in the back will look silly)

Packa Cons:
- heavier than Altus (but only by a little- a small Packa is 368g, the XS weight is not listed on the Packa website)
- shorter than Altus, so I will need rain pants or rain kilt also, which then increases total weight of rain gear
Hello - I have a blue Packa in size Small that has only be used once and is in 'as new' condition - extremely waterproof and quite breathable due to the pit zips and 2 way front zipper. I'm looking to sell it as I prefer using a rain jacket. I'm 160 cm (5ft 3in) and it is long enough on me so no need for rain pants.
I'd love to sell it to another pilgrim - let me know if you're interested.

Hello - I have a blue Packa in size Small that has only be used once and is in 'as new' condition - extremely waterproof and quite breathable due to the pit zips and 2 way front zipper. I'm looking to sell it as I prefer using a rain jacket. I'm 160 cm (5ft 3in) and it is long enough on me so no need for rain pants.
I'd love to sell it to another pilgrim - let me know if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer. I am only 5'1" and would want one in XS red. But maybe someone else will be interested if they happen across this thread!

I see that you are not from Europe. Decathlon have an excellent poncho MT 900 with all the advantages of your Packa with many of the same disadvantages
It is long (I am 6’1”) (or short of you wish with the right size)
Has pit zips
Double way zipper
Velcro flap cover if you don’t want the zip
Is orange with reflective strip on the back.

Importantly is has a very high water tolerance 5000mm which other brands do not have (which is why they are so light)
It also has Velcro front pocket entry points which allow a belt to thread through and keep the garment from flapping up in a head wind.
Easy to put on and easy to vent. Basically it is a large long coat.
Velcro cuffs as opposed to elastic ones that allow no venting.

On the down side it is relatively heavy
Like most ponchos it is not breathable

I have asked several people that have used it in real downpours and they say it is good. My testing has been in rain but so far thankfully not all day drenchings.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello and welcome Helge,

Which jacket do you have, and how effective (waterproof) is it?

Thanks

Maurice
Hi. It is called Outdoor Research Helium
Working very well to me. Cost in Norway is around 250 Euro. But I normally wear Norrøna Falketind designed for climbing. Too heavy for hiking. Of course more resistant to tear. Cost is around 600- 700 Euro.

@Bothydave Thank you for the recommendation! Unfortunately the MT900 from Decathlon is 150-200g heavier (over 500g even for the smaller size), and also it is not available from the Canadian Decathlon site (simply not listed). But I hope that it will serve some other pilgrim well! I certainly appreciate that it's in lurid orange with a reflective stripe on the back.

@kmrice and @raincitygal, I really appreciate you listing your Packa's weights of 312g for small and 329g for medium (unclear what "generation" of Packa those were). Makes them more attractive, excepting the need for rain pants/kilt which adds weight back into the rain gear kit.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi. It is called Outdoor Research Helium
Working very well to me. Cost in Norway is around 250 Euro. But I normally wear Norrøna Falketind designed for climbing. Too heavy for hiking. Of course more resistant to tear. Cost is around 600- 700 Euro.
thanks for letting me know about the OR Helium

@kmrice and @raincitygal, I really appreciate you listing your Packa's weights of 312g for small and 329g for medium (unclear what "generation" of Packa those were). Makes them more attractive, excepting the need for rain pants/kilt which adds weight back into the rain gear kit.
I bought mine in summer '22. I did end up buying rain pants in Palas de Rei and pretty much just wore them from them on. Now I have some nifty lightweight ones from REI I'll bring if I ever walk it again!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It would add a little bit of weight but someone with decent sewing skills could install pit zips in the Altus.
My dream poncho is the Altus, at a weight <350g, with pit zips, in a high-vis colour. 😆

I might contact Beta By Data, who makes custom ultralight gear, one day with this idea.

Just got my replacement Packa. It's a medium and weighs 328 gr. My old one weighs 329 gr; that's great, every gram counts!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just got my replacement Packa. It's a medium and weighs 328 gr. My old one weighs 329 gr; that's great, every gram counts!
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I’m trying to decide which size is right for me. And, also, how long are your arms? I hope these questions aren’t too personal!

5’7” 160lbs. My shirts are 16x32. Medium seems to be right for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can confirm that the MT900 from Decathlon is truly awesome. The only poncho to have in a real steady downpour. I remember the walk up to Finesterre lighthouse, a storm coming in off the ocean...I was the only one of our little group that didn't look like a drowned rat at the end, thanks to this poncho.
That said, yes, it is a little on the heavy side. I am in agony about taking it tbh. I REALLY needed it in Galicia but to carry it all that way, just for the end.
That said, if you aren't going the the dollar store type poncho, the "emergency" reflective poncho (also a very good choice)...I would go for the MT900 over the Packa. It is more waterproof, highly visible and a LOT cheaper than the Packa. For about a hundred grams difference, I have a hard time justifying spending more than a hundred bucks difference.
You could just bring a cheap concert poncho for the early part of the trip, then stop in at a Decathlon in Leon to buy an MT900 for Galicia....

Have you actually tried a Packa? We’ve used ours for several thousand miles over thirteen years and can attest that they are completely waterproof. The pit zips also helps a great in reducing condensation. Don’t know what the MT900 costs, but we have found the Packas to be well worth the cost.

Don’t even think about relying on the dollar store type poncho in Galicia. We did, once, and they lasted about thirty seconds when the wind came up. We looked like drowned rats! That was the experience which motivated us to get the Packas.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I can confirm that the MT900 from Decathlon is truly awesome. The only poncho to have in a real steady downpour. I remember the walk up to Finesterre lighthouse, a storm coming in off the ocean...I was the only one of our little group that didn't look like a drowned rat at the end, thanks to this poncho.
That said, yes, it is a little on the heavy side. I am in agony about taking it tbh. I REALLY needed it in Galicia but to carry it all that way, just for the end.
That said, if you aren't going the the dollar store type poncho, the "emergency" reflective poncho (also a very good choice)...I would go for the MT900 over the Packa. It is more waterproof, highly visible and a LOT cheaper than the Packa. For about a hundred grams difference, I have a hard time justifying spending more than a hundred bucks difference.
You could just bring a cheap concert poncho for the early part of the trip, then stop in at a Decathlon in Leon to buy an MT900 for Galicia....
For me the colour, reflecting strip and 100g is worth your life on wet roads in dim light.
Yes it has put zips in answer to the next question after this and importantly Velcro as opposed to elasticated cuffs.
As Gobsmacked says the waterproofness is of a high rating.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.