• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Poncho/Rain Coat

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I know this has been done to death and there are two camps poncho/jacket and pants, I am of the latter, but with age we tend to change a little. can someone please tell me the weight of the Altus, for the love of me I can't find it.

TIA
Waka

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It weights 300 grams

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know this has been done to death and there are two camps poncho/jacket and pants, I am of the latter, but with age we tend to change a little. can someone please tell me the weight of the Altus, for the love of me I can't find it.

TIA
Waka

Holy moly! I literally was just hunting for the Altus poncho weight for exactly the same reasons. Done to death? Maybe. But it just goes to show that the old adage, 'if you have a question, someone else probably does too,' holds true.

Just as an aside, my thought was that the poncho sure looks like a lot of material compared to my rain jacket and pants. Surely the poncho must be heavier, right? Turns out that together the jacket and pants weigh 402 grams, or 36% heavier than the Altus Atmospheric!

Holy moly! I literally was just hunting for the Altus poncho weight for exactly the same reasons. Done to death? Maybe. But it just goes to show that the old adage, 'if you have a question, someone else probably does too,' holds true.

Just as an aside, my thought was that the poncho sure looks like a lot of material compared to my rain jacket and pants. Surely the poncho must be heavier, right? Turns out that together the jacket and pants weigh 402 grams, or 36% heavier than the Altus Atmospheric!
Just weighed my rain gear and it is 3 times that of the Altus, you know what I'm going for.

Just got an Altus poncho in today from Ivar in size M/L. It weighs 322g on my kitchen scale. This is reasonably close to the weights listed on Camino Comfort here, which are:

S (small), weight 316g
M-L (medium), weight 335g
XL-XXL (large), weight 382g

I was curious as to whether I'd save weight with this, but my rain jacket and rain pants are actually 165g and 92g, plus a pack liner at 28g, for a total of 285g. So the combo of my other items is lighter than the Altus, and more versatile. I will therefore be taking the rain jacket, pants, and pack liner.

However! I recognize that most people would use a pack cover, not a pack liner. My pack cover (for another pack of the same volume) weighs 80g. This would have put my total rain gear weight at 165 + 92 + 80 = 337g. This is heavier than the actual scale weight of my Altus, but within range of the estimated weight of an Altus per the link above. I suspect that depending on the cut of the actual Altus you get, the weight would range in and around those numbers.

Another disadvantage of my system is, of course, that the outside of my pack (and items held in the outer back pocket) will get wet in rain. But those items, for me, are either rain gear itself, or waterproof/irrelevant if wet like shower shoes, so it hardly matters.

For those interested, my rain jacket and rain pants are Montbell Versalite, in size Women's XL. I believe what makes them so ultralight is Goretex Windstopper 2-layer fabric (many rain jackets are 3-layer). I really like the Versalite jacket and pants. They hold up well to rain in the Pacific Northwest. The jacket has pit zips for venting heat, and zipped front hand pockets. The pants have a neat little elastic system that closes off the cuffs.

I just really wanted to see if the Altus poncho would be a better choice, so I ordered one. Might resell the poncho.

This has been my detailed gram weenie talk on the minutiae of my rain gear, thanks for listening!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I never thought I would want a poncho - used the rain jacket/pack cover approach successfully on a very dry fall Camino in 2021 and started out that that same way walking the Via Serrana and VdlP this past fall. But in major rain for days, we bought good ponchos mid-Camino and now swear by them. The difference was really night and day in heavy rain. My experience is that pack covers can't keep water from seeping in from your back in heavy rain. If you really want protection from serious rain, ponchos are the way to go, IMHO. If you're walking at a dry time of year or it's particularly warm and you don't mind getting wet occasionally (and it doesn't rain everyday for a month like it did last fall!), maybe not necessary.

It's really not a poncho, it's a slicker. During 3 weeks of heavy rain and wind on the camino last Oct/Nov I wore mine constantly. As J Willhaus said, during the breaks in rain you can pull your arms out of the sleeves and it stays in place like a cape. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is the Altus poncho easy to come by while on the Camino Frances or is it best to try to get it before leaving from home?
I believe you can reserve one to pick up in St. Jean Pied-de-Port at Boutique du Pelerin.

Otherwise, along the Frances, if people pick up ponchos, my impression is that they typically drop into and buy a Decathlon one. I do not know the weight of the Decathlon poncho.

Please do await and prefer the responses of people who have walked the Frances, as I have not.

(I wanted to get one and weigh it, haha).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do not know the weight of the Decathlon poncho.
It is quite a bit heavier than the Altus - 510 g (S/M) a 580 g (L/XL)

The Altus can be bought at Boutique du Pelerin in SJPdP or at Caminoteca in Pamplona.
I have also seen them on display at other shops along the way.

I believe you can reserve one to pick up in St. Jean Pied-de-Port at Boutique du Pelerin.

Otherwise, along the Frances, if people pick up ponchos, my impression is that they typically drop into and buy a Decathlon one. I do not know the weight of the Decathlon poncho.

Please do await and prefer the responses of people who have walked the Frances, as I have not.

(I wanted to get one and weigh it, haha).
Does the Decathalon have a way to secure/pull in the backpack bumpout, or is it just longer in the back than the front?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
--The problem with light rain pants is, (if you wear them for any extended length of time), the seams fall apart. Especially, at the ankles, where the pant seam will rub together with each step. Or the crotch will fall apart.
--Mostly I've worn "rain kilts", after having given up on rain pants.
--A light rain jacket might weigh 10oz. Light rain pants might weigh about 7oz. A pack cover might weigh about 3 oz==>20oz to protect you and your gear. The Altus Atmospheric weighs about 13 oz.
(If it rains long enough, your feet are gonna get wet while wearing rain pants OR ponchos either way)

It is quite a bit heavier than the Altus - 510 g (S/M) a 580 g (L/XL)
Mine is sitting in front of me, 290 gm. S/M , Forclaz (Decathlon) Brand, bought at Decathlon here in Germany.
I am not for a moment comparing the quality- I haven’t experienced enough rain with it to even begin to know.

Does the Decathalon have a way to secure/pull in the backpack bumpout, or is it just longer in the back than the front?
A little longer at the back than the front.
Without a pack it’s a bit of a tent! But, I’m nearly always carrying at least a daypack. It’s where the poncho lives

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mine is sitting in front of me, 290 gm. S/M , Forclaz (Decathlon) Brand, bought at Decathlon here in Germany.
I am not for a moment comparing the quality- I haven’t experienced enough rain with it to even begin to know.
Interesting that the actual weight is so much lower than the listed weight. 290g makes it much more attractive. And it's a nice bright colour unlike the current generation of Altus ponchos. (Even the yellow-green Altus is much too dull for my liking).

Edit: Are you sure you are looking at the same model of poncho on Decathlon?

This one much more closely matches your actual scale weight.

Last edited:
Are you sure you are looking at the same model of poncho on Decathlon?
Apologies, no I was not. When I bought mine they had just the one model so I didn't bother to check the link that @trecile provided. Mine would appear to be a 40l version of the one you link . Lightweight, extremely easy to put on, but no full length or armpit zips.
Sorry for the confusion!

Edited to add: mine does however have proper sleeves which I don't see in this picture

Last edited:

It's hard to tell from the picture if it does or not. It does have armpit zippers that can help with heat build up.

As @Peterexpatkiwi clarified above, his poncho is not the same as the one that I linked to. I linked to that particular "poncho" because it's most similar to the Altus. Decathlon has other actual ponchos that don't have full sleeves or zip fronts that weigh less. For example this more traditional poncho weighs 300 gm.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And this one has a partial zip front, but at still weighs the same or more than the Altus

I wore this one on the Portugues. Kept me dry, I did not overheat, and I liked that it had full arms and a bump out for the pack that could be taken up. The brim also did a surprisingly good job of keeping rain off my face without obstructing my vision, but I did wear a baseball cap underneath for extra stability. I wished that it had elastic at the sleeves and maybe one accessible exterior pocket, but for the price, I had no complaints. (No zipper either but I see that as just another potential water entry point).

My wife is pretty handy with a sewing machine. She took three frogtog ponchos and converted them into two raincoats similar to the Altus. The ponchos were about US$13 apiece at the time. She added a zipper and pocket to the front and removed excess fabric when she sewed the sides together. The extra poncho was used to make the arms and add extra length. She made the armpits low enough to bring your arms inside for pocket access or outside to use a poles. The Frogtog material is very light and will breathe well but it’s not very durable. The rain cape design is lasting much better than the Frogtog pants and coat did. The first one is still good after two Caminos. I’m 6’3”so the size is extra large. It weighs 284 g.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I never thought I would want a poncho - used the rain jacket/pack cover approach successfully on a very dry fall Camino in 2021 and started out that that same way walking the Via Serrana and VdlP this past fall. But in major rain for days, we bought good ponchos mid-Camino and now swear by them. The difference was really night and day in heavy rain. My experience is that pack covers can't keep water from seeping in from your back in heavy rain. If you really want protection from serious rain, ponchos are the way to go, IMHO. If you're walking at a dry time of year or it's particularly warm and you don't mind getting wet occasionally (and it doesn't rain everyday for a month like it did last fall!), maybe not necessary.
Which ponchos did you buy?

It weights 300 grams
Thanks Ivar. Do you know the waterproof rating for the Altus Poncho?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anybody know what the difference is from the Altus Poncho S3 as compared to the H30, aside from price?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anybody know what the difference is from the Altus Poncho S3 as compared to the H30, aside from price?

I believe Trecile is right, the S3 is the old Altus Poncho (pre-2022 or so), and the H30 is the new Altus Poncho.

Differences that I can tell.

1. Colours: the S3 came in navy, red, and mustard yellow. Red and mustard yellow are more desirable in my opinion as they are more high-visibility. The H30 comes in navy and a kind of yellow-green colour, neither of which are particularly high-vis.

2. Weight: The S3 weighed closer to 430-500g depending on size, according to this very old post from 2011. The H30 weighs, as I listed above:

S (small), weight 316g
M-L (medium), weight 335g
XL-XXL (large), weight 382g

(Those are the listed weights on the Camino Comfort website, and I bought a M-L H30 Altus which weighs 322 g on my kitchen scale, so they're close to accurate).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, the S3 may weigh a few more grams and lack the new colors, but at half the H30 price, it sure is an attractive buy. Thanks!

Colours: the S3 came in navy, red, and mustard yellow. Red and mustard yellow are more desirable in my opinion as they are more high-visibility. The H30 comes in navy and a kind of yellow-green colour, neither of which are particularly high-vis
I disagree about the yellow-green color. I have friends with both the mustard yellow and the yellow-green color Altuses, and the yellow-green is at least as visible as the mustard color.

I disagree about the yellow-green color. I have friends with both the mustard yellow and the yellow-green color Altuses, and the yellow-green is at least as visible as the mustard color.
The yellow-green is just a little lighter than a green olive. (I’m holding one in my hand right now.) I find it quite drab. I’ve never held the mustard yellow so you’re probably right on that count.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This morning in Santiago., I popped into Ivars store and bought an Altus. At the moment his supply is only the Navy but it will do the job. My last Altus was retired some time ago .. it will be good to have the sleeves again and less flapping in the wind.
I’m in Santiago first /but heading south on Sunday.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, it kept me dry. I wore it almost every day this winter over my synthetic puffer jacket. In the summer, I did sweat under it when it wasn't raining, so I wore it like a green cape to keep from taking it off, putting it on all day.

Yes, it kept me dry. I wore it almost every day this winter over my synthetic puffer jacket. In the summer, I did sweat under it when it wasn't raining, so I wore it like a green cape to keep from taking it off, putting it on all day.
Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.