• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Álvaro Lazaga on the Camino Torres

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
Noted camino video blogger Álvaro Lazaga has just left the Vía de la Plata and is now on the Camino Torres, having decided against doing the Caminho da Estrela from Cáceres. He's spending tonight at Robliza de Cojos, a day's walk from Salamanca. The albergue there has been improved since I stayed there, and now has hot water and a shower (I had to walk 2-3km to wash at a nearby motorway service station).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been surprised to see that Álvaro has been sleeping in the Bombeiros in Portugal on his Camino Torres. I know that most of the bombeiros along the Central route out of Lisbon have stopped taking pilgrims, but he has been in 2 or 3. I wonder if that’s special Álvaro treatment (he did say he has a Portuguese camino contact helping him out) or if anyone walking the Torres would have access to those places. (Pinhel, Trancoso, Sernancelhe).

For those who don’t have the means to walk a camino with all days spent in private places, this seems to be a possibility. If any mere mortal forum member, as opposed to a camino star like Álvaro, has spent the nights with the Bombeiros, please let us know.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a lovely surprise! I hope to overnight in the albergue in Robliza de Cojos on 25 April this month. I'm hoping there is special Margaretta treatment for me by the Bombeiros in these places! I shall check out Alvaro's info, am also guided by Magwood's blog and the summary you have provided on this forum Laurie. Thank you

We’re on the interior route now and have been offered to sleep at the bombeiros several times. I was surprised as well as when we volunteered in Alpriate in 2019 they weren’t accepting pilgrims. Anyway it’s a quiet route. Saw our first pilgrim today.
We have thought about walking the Torres but would need to make a move tomorrow as we are in Lamego tonight.
Looked like quite a bit of pavement? Any thoughts on that?

Looked like quite a bit of pavement? Any thoughts on that?
I remember reading Nick and Wendy’s posts about all the pavement/asphalt on the Torres. They started in Trancoso, though, and up to that point, from Salamanca to Trancoso there was virtually none. But you would miss those earlier stages. I have to confess that ever since I started wearing Lone Peaks, the asphalt doesn’t bother me at all, so my memories of the Torres don’t include much about asphalt. Except for the walk into Amarante, now that was brutal. And glancing through the stages, I would say yes, that Trancoso to Braga has a lot of asphalt. I have a FindPenguins for my Torres and Geira, which may have some more details. If you do go on the Torres, connecting with the Geira in Braga is fabuloso.

Lamego to Mesao Frio has a few nice off-road stretches, but from the river crossing up to Mesao Frio is all road. Very untraveled roads, but roads nonetheless.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks @pereginia2000. I have Lone Peaks too! I have been wearing Altras for years. Way back when they only made two running models, in two ugly colors! Haha!

I have been surprised to see that Álvaro has been sleeping in the Bombeiros in Portugal on his Camino Torres. I know that most of the bombeiros along the Central route out of Lisbon have stopped taking pilgrims, but he has been in 2 or 3.

The new BBC Pilgrimage series shows the group spending one night in a fire station. That might be special treatment too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.