• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I crazy starting to prepare now for 2018?

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
Yes I am not planning to go for 5 years when my daughter finishes school and I turn 50....but I already wait for my daily forum update and spend too much time researching sleeping bags etc, and yes, I just bought a pack! The thing is, I need to seriously improve my fitness, as I can't afford to travel from Australia to Spain and then 'crash and burn' with injuries after a week. So I bought an Osprey Hornett pack to start doing local walks with eg 1-2 hours, to try and build my fitness. I figure if I lose 7kg before I go then I could carry a 6-7kg pack and be back 'carrying' the same weight I have to walk with now.

Am I silly? I have always been lazy about exercise but I feel motivated thinking about needing to be fit enough to walk across the whole of Spain!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi! No, you're not silly. You want to be fitter than you are and if your Camino is the inspiration that's great! It will already have improved your life a bit before you even start. Removing any concerns about fitness early on will leave more space for keen anticipation! :D

If you're interested in the history of the Camino it would be great to do some reading beforehand as well. It will really enhance your enjoyment if you know some of the stories surrounding what on the surface are insignificant little places along the way. You may find some aspect that you find particularly interesting and help you plan where you want to stay or have rest days.

Enjoy it! Buen Camino!

Hi, I'm planning on walking in Apr/May 2016 when my daughter has finished school & I also will have just turned 50. Glad I'm not alone with my daily obsession of checking the forum looking for recommendations & reading people's blogs. I have met with some of the WA forum members also to hear of their adventures & can't wait to begin my own journey. Good luck with your planning :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Never silly to make changes in your life that are beneficial! Long before you get to the path in Spain you will be appreciating your decision to get fitter. Your camino has begun!

Nothing silly about that holhum. Just think of all the benefits you'll get through starting now. Good luck!

holhum said:
Yes I am not planning to go for 5 years when my daughter finishes school and I turn 50....but I already wait for my daily forum update and spend too much time researching sleeping bags etc, and yes, I just bought a pack! The thing is, I need to seriously improve my fitness, as I can't afford to travel from Australia to Spain and then 'crash and burn' with injuries after a week. So I bought an Osprey Hornett pack to start doing local walks with eg 1-2 hours, to try and build my fitness. I figure if I lose 7kg before I go then I could carry a 6-7kg pack and be back 'carrying' the same weight I have to walk with now.

Making some lifestyle changes now to prepare yourself seems quite sensible. I don't know where you are living in Australia, but in most places there are local groups who offer activities that would go to improving your general level of fitness and stamina. I find being part of a group also helps maintain your motivation - five years is a long way out, and having some intermediate steps along the way will help you keep on track with your preparation. Its also boring getting up bigger distances on your own if you are not used to that, and walking with a group occasionally will relieve that boredom.

As someone who is always a big heavier than I would really like to be when I start long walks, my experience is that it is quite a different thing carrying the weight in a pack to having it on your body. The simply physics is that the pack alters your centre of gravity, moving it rearwards. As a result, you will tilt your upper body forwards a little to compensate, putting your muscles into a different position to what they might otherwise be used to. Get your body used to that by walking regularly with a loaded pack, irrespective of whether you lose the weight or not.

Finally, there are several Australian 'friends of the Camino' or similar groups around the country. Look at the country specific forum pages for information on these.

Regards,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh my, dear holhum, you will see how fast five years(4 1/2 now)will go past. You will have time to get fit physically & mentally. Time to read up on the most fantastic journey you will take in your life. Perhaps your daughter will join you? My husband and I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago in May of 2013. I still dream of walking. Its a feeling inside me I cannot turn loose of nor do I want to. I've marked my calendar for a return in 2016. From my mouth to God's ear! Good luck to you and God bless. You are in for a beautiful experience.

Buen Camino.

You are not silly at all. Enjoy your planning. You might want to consider doing yoga has well as walking. it's very good for stretching out your muscles which you will need after walking all day!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do believe your camino has already begun!

Once I decided to walk the camino and started reading the forums here I realized I was starting to adjust my thinking. Even though we are no longer walking the camino there is still a part of it we carry with us. When I decided to walk the camino I thought it would be a one time thing but I am already trying to figure out how to get back. Maybe you will get there sooner than five years so best to be ready!

2018??? Whoaa, still haven't worked out next year!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Am I silly? I have always been lazy about exercise but I feel motivated thinking about needing to be fit enough to walk across the whole of Spain!

At 60yrs in 2010 I walked my first Camino on the Frances, Roncesvalles to Santiago 30 days, no hard training doing what you are walking probably now. In 2012 I walked the Nortes, Irun to Santiago 32 days, lots of hill walking etc, I found it a lot easier because I had learnt to wear the correct boots that suited me, one size bigger from 8-9 allowing for my inevitable swollen feet, I also used zing oxide tape on the hot spots of my feet where blisters would form ( start monitoring for hot spots now and not later) I would say that your feet are more important than your fitness and that your strength of spirit is the major factor on the Camino. I have seen Pilgrims with the best gear full of good intentions as to how they will reach Santiago, young and old, only to find out further down the road that they have needed to stop due to lack of preparation.
May 2013 I walked the Sureste by far the hardest Camino I've encountered, the heat, the lack of Alburgues, flat dry semi desert with few places to rest, it took me 36 days from Alicante to Astorga.
You are preparing well in advance and seeking advice from others, that is a great start. I feel in my humble opinion that you will do well on the Camino, it is an adventure that you will share with others of the same spirit along the Way.

Buen Camino

Not at all. I planned my first Camino for four years so that it would coincide with the year I turned 60.
In the end, my journey was completely different to that which I had imagined, but the experience of holding my plans in an open hand, and living in each moment as they unfolded, just made every day in the lead up and the actual journey more precious. Enjoy all your plans and enjoy the challenges even more. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Apart from increasing your fitness to a level where you feel confident to deal with long days of walking, I suggest you learn some Spanish. You could be pretty fluent in 5 years and it will greatly enhance your experience if you can understand and communicate with the local people aong the way.

I agree with others that mental fitness is almost more important; flexibile attitude, motivation to keep going when it gets tough. I set off last year at 59 years with basic fitness, had done 12 miles once or twice in the last week before I left but no hills as it's very flat where I live. I just did short days to begin with and built up to 20-25 km gradually. With good kit, not much weight all was wonderful!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.