• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

am I cutting this too fine??

JackRabbitSlims

Hi - just booked my flight to CDG from Kathmandu arriving June 4th.
Flight is scheduled to arrive into Paris at 7.35am on the 4th. I'd like to get on a Train (TGV) that morning and make it down to Bayonne and stay the night there. I'll continue on to SJPDP the next morning on the train with the intention of having another day there and then starting the Camino on the 7th (Saturday).

I'm wondering if I'm cutting it a bit thin with my timing if I book the 10.16am TGV that goes via Bordeaux??
1st class seat is 84 Euro (is that good value?). Wondering what happens if my flight is delayed and I miss the train out of CDG?......do they allow you to take the next available train or do I have to start again with a new booking etc?

or....
Can I just show up at the ticket office at CDG and buy a ticket on the next Train to Bayonne on the morning I arrive?? - do the Trains book out well in advance being summer / holiday season?

Thanks if you can help me out.
Cheers.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi - just booked my flight to CDG from Kathmandu arriving June 4th.
Flight is scheduled to arrive into Paris at 7.35am on the 4th. I'd like to get on a Train (TGV) that morning and make it down to Bayonne and stay the night there. I'll continue on to SJPDP the next morning on the train with the intention of having another day there and then starting the Camino on the 7th (Saturday).

I'm wondering if I'm cutting it a bit thin with my timing if I book the 10.16am TGV that goes via Bordeaux??
1st class seat is 84 Euro (is that good value?). Wondering what happens if my flight is delayed and I miss the train out of CDG?......do they allow you to take the next available train or do I have to start again with a new booking etc?

or....
Can I just show up at the ticket office at CDG and buy a ticket on the next Train to Bayonne on the morning I arrive?? - do the Trains book out well in advance being summer / holiday season?

Thanks if you can help me out.
Cheers.

JackRabbitSlims,

84 euros for first class is a good price. Check to see the fine print about whether it is refundable or not. If you miss your train usually you need to start again to book a seat on a later train. Since so much might happen between Katmandu and Paris it might be better to wait until you are in CDG airport to book your ticket. Summer is a busy time but you should be able to get a TGV by walking up to the counter once you arrive. Here is a useful site to help you navigate CDG and find the TGV station at Roissy(CDG).

I just checked the type of ticket for this price on June 4. It reads --
"TGV Prem's : Billet non échangeable, non remboursable.

Conditions tarifaires : Loisir réduit : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'à la veille du départ, avec retenue de 10 euros le jour du départ, non échangeable et non remboursable après départ."
Thus if you buy it as a TGV Prem it is NEITHER exchangable or refundable. If you buy it as a Loisir réduit it is NEITHER echangable nor refundable after departure.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hi Margaret.

Thanks for the prompt, informative reply - :)
Yes, I might just chance my arm when I arrive at CDG and try for a Train Ticket then.
Great Link also - very helpful.

Cheers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jack, I would advise you to heed Margaret's good advice. - And CDG is not easily navigable (sadly learnt from hard experience! and being slightly fogged after long night hauls).

- I also agree that a flight from Kathmandu may leave some uncertainty about your time of arrival, too - but may be wrong though. - But you will get there eventually. I wish you a buen camino.

annelise

Most read last week in this forum

I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...
The why is in the article below. https://www.elcorreogallego.es/santiago/2024/05/07/concello-santiago-estudia-reforzar-conexiones-102021423.html
Here's the dealeo. 😁 Instead of my usual departure city back to the US of A from Paris. I am now coming home from Barcelona. I've done my due diligence in searching how to get from Logrono to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back