• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An Aussie on the VF

John Holland

Time of past OR future Camino
G’day,

I am an Aussie walking from London via Canterbury and the VF to Rome. After completing the Lon-Cant section (Chaucers’ Pilgrims Way) I am now in Licques at the end of Day 4 on the VF.

I will be taking roughly five months to complete the trip. That means, because of Schengen visa rules limiting stays in Europe to 90 days, I will do the trip over two years. A combination of getting on in years and a crook left knee means I can no longer do consecutive long days. I will doing relatively short days (hopefully not too many over 16 or 18 kms) and be having regular rest days.

I will not be posting every day, just when something interesting happens and when I feel like it.

So far it has been a delightful walk, getting into Guines and my accommodation there just minutes before a storm hit the town. I was stayed dry.

The accommodation in Guines was excellent: a small cabin at Camping la Bien Assise. Only €25 with the pilgrim discount. I thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks to a number of people who have previously walked the VF. Some of that info, particularly that by timR, has been particularly helpful in my planning.

That’s all for now.
Cheers,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looking forward to your updates - I truly loved walking the VF through France (and eat way too many croissants )

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We will continue the VF from Calais in 10 days, so I am eager to read your postings.
Bonne marche à vous!

I wish you good luck with the weather, less cold and wet and that you will find open Restaurants, Bars, and accommodations, in this huge area with less population. Hopefully the path isn't as swampy as I had and the Marne river has less water, as it had an impact on the VF.
Just finished my Canterbury - St. Maurice (Switzerland) last Saturday.
I will return in Autumn for the rest to Rome. (check my Blog)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Keep trucking. There is no timeline. I started from Canterbury in 2022 and am tonight in Siena, 14 days from Roma. This is the third of 3 stages. The Confraternity has been and continues to be a storehouse of great information. TimR and others have provided much useful advice in previous posts.
As always, I suggest that VF planners join the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome and support their work. They don’t solicit much on their own behalf but they offer a lot for a completely volunteer organization. Cheers and buona fortuna on the rest of your journey.

G’day,

I am an Aussie walking from London via Canterbury and the VF to Rome. After completing the Lon-Cant section (Chaucers’ Pilgrims Way) I am now in Licques at the end of Day 4 on the VF.

I will be taking roughly five months to complete the trip. That means, because of Schengen visa rules limiting stays in Europe to 90 days, I will do the trip over two years. A combination of getting on in years and a crook left knee means I can no longer do consecutive long days. I will doing relatively short days (hopefully not too many over 16 or 18 kms) and be having regular rest days.

I will not be posting every day, just when something interesting happens and when I feel like it.

So far it has been a delightful walk, getting into Guines and my accommodation there just minutes before a storm hit the town. I was stayed dry.

The accommodation in Guines was excellent: a small cabin at Camping la Bien Assise. Only €25 with the pilgrim discount. I thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks to a number of people who have previously walked the VF. Some of that info, particularly that by timR, has been particularly helpful in my planning.

That’s all for now.
Cheers,
G day John keep us informed on how your going Buen Camino

Am now in Therouanne staying at Eden Gite. This gite is superb. Run by volunteer VF supporters it has superb hosts (Alain, Patricia and Christian). It is immaculate with a max of 3 beds per dorm ( I am in a room on my own) and superb facilities. Cannot recommend it enough.

Last night was in Wisques at the Abbey Notre Dame. Rooms are all twin beds or doubles. Again, very good and definitely recommended. Book ahead as it is often booked out, taking in not just pilgrims.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options...
I saw this link on FB today and it is useful to give us some idea of the serious nature of snow around the GSB pass. This is saying that the snow has been very heavy this year, but that the pass...
Next Spring my wife and I are planning to walk the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. We plan to arrange our own accommodation. Can anyone advise if there are companies who do luggage transfers...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back