• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A solo American lady on the VF: Guardian article

timr

Time of past OR future Camino
Several and counting...
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great article! I also love to walk solo and I also sometimes feel afraid. I once saw graffiti that said: ‘Men are afraid of women laughing at them; Women are afraid of men killing them.’
I feel women may be more at risk at home than out hiking, but wouldn’t it be great if more men were comfortable laughing at themselves and more women were laughing with them rather than at them and vice versa?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for posting such a notable & appreciated article @timr.
As a solo female walker & one who has tackled the VF, it strikes me in a few ways;

i/ it sums up the heightened level of awareness solo women (travellers especially) exercise almost every moment we are 'out there'...whether we believe we are operating at that level or not, it's instinctive & constant...to such a point it is a normal way of being for us
&
ii/ as men don't have the same 'concerns' as women, they may not be mindful of the potential threat they pose to a woman's feeling of safety merely by their presence. There are simple, small things men can do to help alleviate the alarm we naturally feel in circumstances of vulnerability (alone, remote or isolated).
An example I experienced on a long distance trail (I think it was Spain); a man was standing behind me as I withdrew cash from an ATM...it made me uneasy. I glanced over my shoulder at him to assess any threat potential. He saw this, recognised my anxiety & went & stood on the other side of the road until I had finished & was walking away. Words cannot express my gratitude for his awareness & the small action taken to change the way I felt in that moment.

Be safe everyone...aware, cautious, sensible...but never let fear stop us. 🤗
👣🌏

I too like to walk alone. No woman asks for trouble. However I have had my share of 'unhappy' moments and from time to time felt the cold frisson of true fear.
Luckily long ago I was taught by my father self-defence. Twice over the years I have been physically attacked; once when 25 while walking to work through Central Park when I knocked the guy down by swinging my briefcase into his groin and unfortunately more recently on the camino when at 71 I knocked a drunk off me while I was trying to take a siesta on a bottom bunk. Both incidents were duly reported to the relevant police; both those incidents left me shaken and wary but never stopped me continuing.

October 2007 I hiked 24 k against the wind to Sahagún. From the highway which parallels the camino a taxi horn honked several times. One Spanish pilgrim rushed across the road. She explained that a young hoodlum wearing camouflage was walking the camino. For my safety she offered a ride. I said thanks but I would continue to walk alone.

Within 10 minutes footsteps crunched the gravel path. Bingo! It was a young guy wearing pink and grey camouflage! We looked at each other. I said "Hola!"; he grunts and passes. Arriving at the municipal albergue I try to explain the situation to the hospitalera. She gave me a key to lock myself in since the place is huge and I was the sole pilgrim. Time passed.
While in the shower I hear heavy footsteps mounting the stairs. Covered in soap suds I dash for my poncho. Two big cops and two slim male cyclists appear! "Senora, we've brought you some protection" said the cops. We all laughed, shook hands and I clad only in the poncho brew tea for the five of us. After tea GREATLY relieved I finished my shower and climbed into my bunk to blissfully sleep protected.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting such a notable & appreciated article @timr.
As a solo female walker & one who has tackled the VF, it strikes me in a few ways;

i/ it sums up the heightened level of awareness solo women (travellers especially) exercise almost every moment we are 'out there'...whether we believe we are operating at that level or not, it's instinctive & constant...to such a point it is a normal way of being for us
&
ii/ as men don't have the same 'concerns' as women, they may not be mindful of the potential threat they pose to a woman's feeling of safety merely by their presence. There are simple, small things men can do to help alleviate the alarm we naturally feel in circumstances of vulnerability (alone, remote or isolated).
An example I experienced on a long distance trail (I think it was Spain); a man was standing behind me as I withdrew cash from an ATM...it made me uneasy. I glanced over my shoulder at him to assess any threat potential. He saw this, recognised my anxiety & went & stood on the other side of the road until I had finished & was walking away. Words cannot express my gratitude for his awareness & the small action taken to change the way I felt in that moment.

Be safe everyone...aware, cautious, sensible...but never let fear stop us. 🤗
👣🌏
It’s a great article… I am male btw.

I remember a thread on social media a few years back that went viral asking woman what they would do if they didn’t feel the threat of men or the need to always plan around safety concerns. One of the most popular things they wanted to to but didn’t do was go walking alone late in their local area on a warm summer evening, through a park or even an urban environment… it’s struck me the freedom men have versus women in life, as a late walk is something I love to do.

Tips for men are always good and appreciated, and easy to google. Some are obvious and some are not.

Non - obvious. A female hiker articulated that she loved to walk early and alone but was always nervous when it was dark esp. if a man was close. She said she always felt more relaxed if she heard hiking poles as that suggested the chap was part of the walking community and less risk. So I remember buying poles and giving them a right old clattering when behind a female.

Obvious. I often used to be a late night train home from London. It was a 2km walk when got off along a long wide road. There were always solo females walking as folks had been out in the city from work and then dispersed. . Rather that walk up behind them it was easy to cross the wide road and ‘overtake’ from the other side.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too like to walk alone. No woman asks for trouble. However I have had my share of 'unhappy' moments and from time to time felt the cold frisson of true fear.
Luckily long ago I was taught by my father self-defence. Twice over the years I have been physically attacked; once when 35 while walking to work through Central Park when I knocked the guy down by swinging my briefcase into his groin and unfortunately more recently on the camino when at 71 I knocked a drunk off me while I was trying to take a siesta on a bottom bunk. Both incidents were duly reported to the relevant police; both those incidents left me shaken and wary but never stopped me continuing.

October 2007 I hiked 24 k against the wind to Sahagún. From the highway which parallels the camino a taxi horn honked several times. One Spanish pilgrim rushed across the road. She explained that a young hoodlum wearing camouflage was walking the camino. For my safety she offered a ride. I said thanks but I would continue to walk alone.

Within 10 minutes footsteps crunched the gravel path. Bingo! It was a young guy wearing pink and grey camouflage! We looked at each other. I said "Hola!"; he grunts and passes. Arriving at the municipal albergue I try to explain the situation to the hospitalera. She gave me a key to lock myself in since the place is huge and I was the sole pilgrim. Time passed.
While in the shower I hear heavy footsteps mounting the stairs. Covered in soap suds I dash for my poncho. Two big cops and two slim male cyclists appear! "Senora, we've brought you some protection" said the cops. We all laughed, shook hands and I clad only in the poncho brew tea for the five of us. After tea GREATLY relieved I finished my shower and climbed into my bunk to blissfully sleep protected.
I bow down to you!!! What a story! I'll never forget this image with the poncho. This is what I love about walking.

Timr,

Thank you for article.

I love walking solo.

Once in town just beyond Fromista I stayed in albergue which filled up with about six men.

As solo female, I decided to sleep closest to the front door. The guys slept in back of refugio.

In middle of night I awakened to snoring.

For my protection, one of the men had moved from the back to bunk bed between the door and me.

I went back to sleep feeling more protected than I have ever felt on camino.

The primary reason I have yet to walk VdLP is because I walk alone.

CF and Sanabres have plenty of pilgrims even in winter.

Maybe, I will muster the courage and walk VdLP next summer if time, pocket book, and circumstances allow.

Last edited:
Be safe everyone...aware, cautious, sensible...but never let fear stop us.

Fear is a natural response..it is instinctual.
When your brain senses fear it quickly sets in motion the events that makes you better prepared to handle the situation you're in. Our heart rates and BP increase, our attention becomes laser focused, we breathe faster, etc. preparing us for what may come. These and other physiological changes result in our bodies being ready for action.

Fear is natural and we need to pay attention to …and there may be occasions when it should stop us! It could save your life!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Timr,

Thank you for article.

I love walking solo.

Once in town just beyond Fromista I stayed in albergue which filled up with about six men.

As solo female, I decided to sleep closest to the front door. The guys slept in back of refugio.

In middle of night I awakened to snoring.

For my protection, one of the men had moved from the back to bunk bed between the door and me.

I went back to sleep feeling more protected than I have ever felt on camino.

Maybe, I will muster the courage and walk VdLP next summer if time, pocket book, and circumstances allow.
I love this story!

I have walked and travelled many places in the world for almost 50 years. There has been some scary moments but I have never experienced a serious harm.
I feel safer in remote mountains. People only go there to appreciate the nature. I worry more in the area where cars can easily reach. Once I was walking in South West Coast Path in England. In a place near the car park and the shops, I met a man. We exchanged some 'friendly' conversation. I told him I was walking SWCP. We waved good by. When I reached the text point, I found him waiting for me after driving to get there. He offered me a lift, but I declined and carried on the footpath to reach the youth hostel. I walked as fast as I could, believing I was fitter than him, though I was much smaller. I safely reached the hostel. A lesson learned: 'Never tell a stranger where I am going next'
Generally speaking, most of the men are safe. Fear can be illogical. On another occasion, I was walking up the mount Whistler in Jasper, Canadian Rocky. I have studied the leaflet 'You are in bear country' and had seen some droppings on the day. I shouldn't be following bears, but there was only one way to get to the summit from where I was. When I reached above the tree line, I saw a bear, watching me from behind a rock. I turned round, pretending I haven't seen it and walked down as fast as I could. There was no guarantee that there weren't any more bears on the way down. I prayed everybody in the heaven. After about 30 mins, I saw a group of men having a drinking party by the river. I told them that I met a bear and asked if they were going to the summit. They said yes. On that occasion, I felt those drunken men were safer than the bear. I went up to the summit safely with them and got a cable car back to the bottom.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fear is natural and we need to pay attention to …and there may be occasions when it should stop us! It could save your life!
@Marbe2 , I agree a  sudden sense of fear is protective & prepares us for a possible fight or flight reaction. However the context for my use of the term is more general; I meant it in an overall way.
As a solo female walker, the No#1 response I get from other (non walking/travelling) women is they would love to do something similar but they are too scared to go it alone...they are letting fear of what may happen stop them entirely...& it always makes me sad.
I'm told I'm brave & strong for doing what I do...I don't see it that way; I plan, prepare, have My Rules (such as not being out at night alone @TravellingMan22 ) & try to make good decisions...the rest is knowing risk is involved, having faith I'll be ok & if not, faith I'll be able to handle what comes my way, & always hoping for the best.

Many thanks to the wonderful men out there who understand our situation & make 'adjustments' accordingly; you know you're not a threat, but initially, we don't. 🤗
Happy trails everyone.
👣🌏

Edited to add; great to know you are a Forum member @Lea Page 😊 Thanks for writing the article. Please let us know of any other pieces you have published...especially for us non-UK (or US) residents who may not see them otherwise!

Last edited:
👣🌏

Edited to add; great to know you are a Forum member @Lea Page 😊 Thanks for writing the article. Please let us know of any other pieces you have published...especially for us non-UK (or US) residents who may not see them otherwise!
You answered some of my questions about the VF early on. So thank you for that. <3
I wrote this article after my walk on the CF: https://www.dorothyparkersashes.com/wanderlust/walk.
That's when I got the "bug!" :D
I have this project-- unannounced so far but getting to it. The whole time I walked the VF I felt so welcome-- and I thought about all the people who aren't, how complicated it is. So I decided to make this a fundraiser for the UN Refugee Agency. It is a bit different from your standard camino narrative. https://www.amazon.com/Between-Path-Way-1000-Journal/dp/B0CCCHQ5J2?tag=casaivar02-20

As a bloke who has walked several caminos, is intending to walk the VF next year and spends most of his time travelling (usually backpacking) alone throughout the world, I found this article quite interesting although, of course, I can never fully equate with the experience of being a female. I am in my late 60s and have quite often been asked by women/girls if they can walk, go out for a meal or travel with me for up to a few days Perhaps, because of my age, they feel safe with me. But, often, it has made me also feel safer. After once having a knife at my throat I am thankful for that. This article also made me think about a danger I had never previously considered: animal traps. Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You answered some of my questions about the VF early on. So thank you for that. <3
I wrote this article after my walk on the CF: https://www.dorothyparkersashes.com/wanderlust/walk.
That's when I got the "bug!" :D
I have this project-- unannounced so far but getting to it. The whole time I walked the VF I felt so welcome-- and I thought about all the people who aren't, how complicated it is. So I decided to make this a fundraiser for the UN Refugee Agency. It is a bit different from your standard camino narrative. https://www.amazon.com/Between-Path-Way-1000-Journal/dp/B0CCCHQ5J2?tag=casaivar02-20
Lea, Sorry I didn't recall your name from our previous interactions...very glad to have provided info/assistance to help you on your way though!
Thanks for the links to your other work...& of course, very best wishes for your fundraising project.
As walkers, we see everything, not just the pretty bits, so we can provide a perspective others may not know of.
Please keep us posted!
👣🌏

Having walked the VF this last summer, I encountered 6 solo female walkers. Of the 6 I spoke with 4 and learned that each were well seasoned walkers who had walked/climbed "numerous" places throughout the world. None expressed any apprehensions about being solo.

Having walked the VF this last summer, I encountered 6 solo female walkers. Of the 6 I spoke with 4 and learned that each were well seasoned walkers who had walked/climbed "numerous" places throughout the world. None expressed any apprehensions about being solo.
Hi Bob-- That is great! But how many women are NOT walking solo?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I walked the VdlP this year in April.
I met about 20 Pilgrims all up.
6 or 7 were women walking alone.
Aged maybe 25-65.

The only people not walking alone were a married couple from Aus and two guys from the US.

Women walking alone is always a good topic to discuss.
Particularly for men to realise how their actions can be perceived positively or negatively.

The women walkers you met may not have expressed any trepidation but that doesn't mean they aren't actively taking specific measures to ensure their safety. As I said upthread, it is a normal way of being for us & that being the case means it may not come up in standard conversation unless the subject is raised. It's not a focal point of any discussions I have (unless raised) & I don't walk with fear but my safety auto-pilot is always engaged whether I'm consciously aware of it or not.
Fortunately I've been relatively incident free in my walks/travel but I have given thought to what it would take to impede, or worse, crush my confidence & sense of security out there...hmmm 🤔
Stay safe everyone & look out for each other. 🤗
👣🌏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The women walkers you met may not have expressed any trepidation but that doesn't mean they aren't actively taking specific measures to ensure their safety. As I said upthread, it is a normal way of being for us & that being the case means it may not come up in standard conversation unless the subject is raised. It's not a focal point of any discussions I have (unless raised) & I don't walk with fear but my safety auto-pilot is always engaged whether I'm consciously aware of it or not.
Fortunately I've been relatively incident free in my walks/travel but I have given thought to what it would take to impede, or worse, crush my confidence & sense of security out there...hmmm 🤔
👣🌏
Exactly. All of this.

Thanks for posting, Tim. Brings back all the memories. I was inspired to walk by so many here, you included.
Hi @Lea Page, I realise only now that it is you who is the author of the article in the Guardian that is linked in the first post of this thread.

I enjoyed reading it and I can only repeat what @SioCamino said earlier: “It really resonated with me.”

Thank you!

👣🌏
Incredibly powerfully put if I may say so. When you boil it down, it is 4 billion people people (female population of the world), building in a ‘plan for safely’ on a daily basis without probably giving it a second thought, or consciously realising they are doing it. Imagine how different the world could be. Oh, and the other half of the population not realising it either.

Out with partner last night.. we at away in Spain. She is looking for somewhere for her to play tennis. Found somewhere but she declined as she said ‘ I can’t be coming here on my own late at night’. Just one example.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @Lea Page, I realise only now that it is you who is the author of the article in the Guardian that is linked in the first post of this thread.

I enjoyed reading it and I can only repeat what @SioCamino said earlier: “It really resonated with me.”

Thank you!
And thank you, @Kathar1na , for alerting me to Lea's authorship of the original article referenced by @timr.
Fallacies! I will walk for a while this morning, and see how many more fallacies I operate out of!!! 👣

Thank you!
I'm so glad! Thank you for reading and letting me know. That means the world.

I'm so glad! Thank you for reading and letting me know. That means the world.
Lea, humour me. There is a story of someone in Dublin Zoo reading labels on resident animals. One said native of Australia. The visitor was a little confused, saying his daughter was married to one of them, a native of Australia... context, small world and all that.
Recently my family adopted a second cousin who lives in - drum roll - Montana! She appeared as a result of dna testing and connecting with my eldest brother. I wonder if you know her? 😇😁🤣
I mean, Montana! Big place. I actually learned just recently that it offered employment to folk from my home town and roundabouts, in mining... long ago.
Forgive derailment, and wishing you many more safe caminos, all part of the same one, the camino that is your life's journey.

I too saw this yesterday. A beautiful piece & was very excited to find it as I'm leaving to walk alone from Lucca at the end of the month.

I walked the CF by myself a few years ago and last Fall did the Magna Via Francigena, also alone. I never felt any threat from people, but was always aware of my surroundings. If anything, I suppose the dogs were more frightening.

It's important to let someone know where you're going & get in touch when you return. I believe it's important to do so whether you're in a city or wilderness. And also, most packs now come with a whistle on the chest strap for emergencies.

I live in Wyoming so often hike in remote areas by myself- I'm far more nervous about falling and hurting myself than who I might encounter :)

Lea, humour me. There is a story of someone in Dublin Zoo reading labels on resident animals. One said native of Australia. The visitor was a little confused, saying his daughter was married to one of them, a native of Australia... context, small world and all that.
Recently my family adopted a second cousin who lives in - drum roll - Montana! She appeared as a result of dna testing and connecting with my eldest brother. I wonder if you know her? 😇😁🤣
I mean, Montana! Big place. I actually learned just recently that it offered employment to folk from my home town and roundabouts, in mining... long ago.
Forgive derailment, and wishing you many more safe caminos, all part of the same one, the camino that is your life's journey.
It is a small world, isn't it? :D

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back