• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any Pilgrims in New York?

Olivares

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
Just came back from El Camino! It is every bit of amazing I had read about! :D Any chance there are other Pilgrims from New York lurking this forum? :lol:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I am a wanna be Pilgrim. Saw the movie The Way; inspired to walk The Camino; yes lurking the site every day.

Looking for lightweight women's boots and gear as we speak. I live in NY - 1.5 hours North of Manhattan.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm also in NYC and planning to walk in September 2012. I can't wait.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Chiming in from NJ! LOL it is the NJ GIANTS afterall right?! From Rutherford originally- Montclair most recently (13 miles west NYC-bridge/tunnel).

Excited to be traveling towards France on Aug 28 for a few days retreat in Lourdes and then St Jean on Sept 2 2012...leaving officially Sept 4 to celebrate Bday up on the Mountain at Orrison!!

Look for my Yogi Berra #8 pin stripe patch on back pack..."When you come to the fork in the road, take it!"- yogi-ism

http://rinkworks.com/said/yogiberra.shtml

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."

"I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early."

"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else."

We will find each other by our accents Im sure! BUEN CAMINO!

Organise yourselves into an NY confraternity (if it doesn't already exist!). Spread the word in your wonderful and amazing city and state! :D Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Checking in from NYC here, I will be doing a partial Camino in June 2013 (Leon to Santiago).

I am not from New York, but I am staying there for 5 nights on my way to SJPDP. I arrive next Wednesday. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nina-- it will be tough to meet up on Thursday, 4/4 but please keep posting the upcoming events on this forum. I hope to make the next one!!

pmcelroy, If you are still looking for light weight womens boots, check out Inov-8 site. Their rocklike 335 boot is super light, and waterproof.

- Nina

Well it ain't NY or NYC...but it's close!! Hi from Central New Jersey!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not from New York but from neighboring CT. I walked 120 miles to Santiago in Sept. of 2009 and dream of doing it again but next time I'll start my walk in SJPP. Any pilgrims from CT on this thread?

I am a Pilgrim next door in Rhode Island. Walked the Norte last fall (Sept.-Oct 2012). Hope to do the Portugese soon. Any other Ocean Staters out there?

I just used the last of my FF miles to get a ticket to Pamploma on September first. I have been dreaming of doing this for more than twenty years. I am sixty-seven and getting myself ready. Actually I started getting in shape more than a year ago. I will be on the Camino Starting from St Jean on the third of September. Currently I am living on the Upper Westside after spending most of my life in Brooklyn Heights.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi from the Danbury area of Connecticut. My husband, son, girlfriend and I are leaving May 13th. We plan to start in Villa Franca del Bierzo and walk to Santiago. This is our first time on the Camino. We have been learning Spanish as best we could, walking and making a real effort to keep our packs as light as possible. I can relate to the gal who said OMG OMG OMG. In truth we are very excited about the trip and are looking forward to making friends on the way.

I have walked The Camino the last 2 years-- going back on May! Starting in Logroño this time.

Olivares said:
I have walked The Camino the last 2 years-- going back on May! Starting in Logroño this time.

Olivares, be sure to join the MeetUp group that Nina started... NYC Pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago.

We've had a very successful first meeting and a nice first training walk in lower manhattan - mostly about 14 miles. Next Saturday we are walking over the Brooklyn bridge and having a little show and tell...we could use your expertise!

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well it ain't NY or NYC...but it's close!! Hi from Central New Jersey!!
I am from Central NJ and planning to Camino on April-May 2014. Is any one else from NJ plans to walk from St Jane about this time? Not sure if I need a
companion for entire trip but maybe some starting point?

I was just in New York visiting fambly for the holiday. I currently live in Vermont and hope to go back lots n lots over the coming months. I completed a pilgrimage in 2012 and am planning a return for spring or summer this year. I trained as a hospitalero and will spend some time in that role. Stay in touch and we can meet up.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am from Central NJ and planning to Camino on April-May 2014. Is any one else from NJ plans to walk from St Jane about this time? Not sure if I need a
companion for entire trip but maybe some starting point?
Hola!! This will teach me to go incommunicado for a while!! We're planning on trying the Primitivo in 2014! But actual routes aside, would love to try and meet up for some training walks!! PM me with where your actually located if you'd like to do that!! :)

Just came back from El Camino! It is every bit of amazing I had read about! :D Any chance there are other Pilgrims from New York lurking this forum? :lol:
Yes I am from up state NY starting my Camino with my wife this September 17, 2014 from SJPP. Any advise?

Jabaldo-- very excited to hear another Upstater-NY heading out to the Camino. The best advice I heard from the get-go was to take care of your feet. Read all you can about preventing blisters and be wise about it. I carried vaseline and use band-aids on friction spots BEFORE they became a problem. I used hiking boots (Merrel) half-size larger and that was a lifesaver. Rest often, IT IS NOT A RACE. Also, the day you feel like having a baggage transport service, use them, It is YOUR pilgrimage, do not allow anybody to dictate to you how and why you must do it. I recommend baggege transfer on the first day; the cross SJPDP-Roncesvalles is hard and since it is the first day, you want to line the odds on your favor for the road ahead. Use the help; this service has been available for a thousand years for a reason :). Pack very light, you will be amazed how little you really need. Start early and begin with a good idea of the route ahead. This will allow you to enjoy and not miss some really amazing sights. Stretch before and after; this will prevent heel pain which can be incredibly debilitating. Sept is a great time of the year to go. I traveled with a big poncho from wal-mart; a $6 one that did the job just fine. Bring a pair of thermals; they are light but offered the best close to the skin warm layer. That said, Spain is not a third world country and you will be able to find just anything you think you need. The medicine in Spain is FANTASTIC, that goes for Doctors and medications. If you get hurt with blisters, etc, take a rest, sometimes what seems like a very serious injury can heal in 3 days and you can actually bounce back quite nicely. As far as training, I had never walk more than 5 miles and did the Camino just fine. I did trained 4 times/week on an ellyptical machines, yoga, and light weights. Never took a hike other that 4 miles/ around my house to "break-in" the hiking boots. They were so good to me! ;)

Have fun planning! Buen Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Two of us from Peekskill started in Saint Jean Pied de Port on Sept 6. I returned at the end of October and I am (also) amazed. Had a little trouble re-entering the 21st century. Hope you fared well.

Two of us from Peekskill started in Saint Jean Pied de Port on Sept 6. I returned at the end of October and I am (also) amazed. Had a little trouble re-entering the 21st century. Hope you fared well.
Hey 3HH! Where on the Camino were you around the second week of October? I actually been back to the Camino 3 times since this original post (2011). I walked the Meseta (Burgos to Leon) between 4-12 Oct. I did not fared well ;) upon returning from my first walk on the Camino in 2011-- all I could think about was to plan a return trip! :) I am planning a return trip late June 2014 this time starting in Sahagun. Wishing you Buen Camino!

Hey 3HH! Where on the Camino were you around the second week of October? I actually been back to the Camino 3 times since this original post (2011). I walked the Meseta (Burgos to Leon) between 4-12 Oct. I did not fared well ;) upon returning from my first walk on the Camino in 2011-- all I could think about was to plan a return trip! :) I am planning a return trip late June 2014 this time starting in Sahagun. Wishing you Buen Camino!

Hey Olivares! I arrived in Santiago on Oct 19. Stayed at La Bastille, ooops, I mean Seminario Menor (quite memorable.. especially the 'Supermercado' in the basement cafeteria!), and then moved to Seminario Mayor right next to the Cathedral for the remainder of my stay. I had gotten to Santiago a week early (tried to slow down, but couldn't!). It was cold and rainy almost every day, which made the respiratory infection that I picked up in the 'Menor' even more memorable. The Seminario Mayor's amazing & fantastic desayuno incluido made my infection much more bearable.

I think the Meseta was one of the highlights of the whole Camino for me. I still have dreams of it. I recall that almost every day I resolved to return to do the whole Camino again. You are very lucky to have returned to it so often. Someday I will too. Buen Camino!

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.