• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone else starting from SJPDP on September 1st?

Ginabina

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2016)
Hi! I'm new to this forum (so thankful I've found it, as so many posts have already been so encouraging and helpful for me!) and I'll be walking my first Camino Frances, starting Septmeber 1st. I'm 49 and quite fit, and hope to finish in 40 days or less. (I quite honestly don't really know what to expect.) I'm nervous since I'll be doing it alone, but I'm also very excited and hopeful that I'll be meeting like-minded pilgrims along the Way ... even if we're not talking all the time ... just to have a little companionship and to not feel too lonely. Is anyone else on this forum starting from SJPDP on September 1st? Are September and October busy months on the Camino? Will I be alone for hours on days at a time? Thank you in advance for your responses!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is my first Camino as well. I am flying from the US to Morocco on August 24th/25th and plan to arrive in SJPP on about September 1st, likely start walking September 2nd so we are likely to meet. I am in my 60s and I will be fitter when I get to Santiago. I am trying to decide on a reservation at Orrisson or not - what is your plan on that first night out?

I've been reading this forum for years waiting for the day I retire - and it seems to me that you can be alone on the way, but you don't have to be. I look forward to some of each. I hope to share some time with you in a few months!

My name is Ron, BTW

Two of us will be arriving in SJPdP on September 1st. We will not start walking until the third as two more will arrive on the second. We have reserved at Orisson for the night of the third. Three of the four of us are in our 60s. Hopefully we will meet up with both of you as we journey.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll be about a week ahead and nine years older than you.
I think I'm pretty fit, but after a 14 mile walk yesterday without a backpack left me exhausted, I'm not so sure!

... I'm nervous since I'll be doing it alone .... Will I be alone for hours on days at a time? ...

No need to be nervous, Gina - doing it alone is the best way (in my view) and it is a very popular way of doing it by both men and women.

You will never be alone. There will be people in front of you and behind you practically all the time.

You will meet and become friends with a wide range of amusing, crazy (in a good way!), and interesting people.

Two of us will be arriving in SJPdP on September 1st. We will not start walking until the third as two more will arrive on the second. We have reserved at Orisson for the night of the third. Three of the four of us are in our 60s. Hopefully we will meet up with both of you as we journey.

Hi! I'll be starting fr SJPdP on Sept 4 with a reservation at Orisson. Hopefully we'll meet on the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ginabina, your thoughts about walking alone are vey understandable, but do allow yourself the opportunity, at least once in a while. You certainly won't be alone starting out. Not all pilgrims are on this forum. I treasured my time alone, but also treasured friendships made along the way. Enjoy the best of both. Wish you Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
This is my first Camino as well. I am flying from the US to Morocco on August 24th/25th and plan to arrive in SJPP on about September 1st, likely start walking September 2nd so we are likely to meet. I am in my 60s and I will be fitter when I get to Santiago. I am trying to decide on a reservation at Orrisson or not - what is your plan on that first night out?

I've been reading this forum for years waiting for the day I retire - and it seems to me that you can be alone on the way, but you don't have to be. I look forward to some of each. I hope to share some time with you in a few months!

My name is Ron, BTW
Hi what's all the sjpp mean ?

Hi what's all the sjpp mean ?
St Jean Pied de Port, the little town on the French side of the Pyrenees which is regarded at the start of the Camino Francés.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm new too! Flying in from US and arriving SJPP on sept 2 with two others. We start our Camino sept 3 and are hiking to roncesvalles then biking to Ponferrada and hiking the rest of the way. Seems our paths might overlap. I'm 53 and fit but I have no idea how to train for the endurance factor! Looking forward to meeting you and other peregrinos along the way! Liz

Hi! I'm new to this forum (so thankful I've found it, as so many posts have already been so encouraging and helpful for me!) and I'll be walking my first Camino Frances, starting Septmeber 1st. I'm 49 and quite fit, and hope to finish in 40 days or less. (I quite honestly don't really know what to expect.) I'm nervous since I'll be doing it alone, but I'm also very excited and hopeful that I'll be meeting like-minded pilgrims along the Way ... even if we're not talking all the time ... just to have a little companionship and to not feel too lonely. Is anyone else on this forum starting from SJPDP on September 1st? Are September and October busy months on the Camino? Will I be alone for hours on days at a time? Thank you in advance for your responses!
Hi Ginabina. I'll be one day ahead of you potentially. I arrive in SJPDP on the 29th August, I will have the 30th to look around town before heading to Orisson on the 31st. The 1st at this stage will be Orisson to Ronscenvalles. I am also on my own so I'll keep an eye out for you.
Buen Camino
Terri

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

My name is Ron, BTW

Hi, I'm Dottie. I don't read the forum that often, mostly just follow the American Pilgrims on the Camino and the Camigas on facebook, but I am leaving SJPP on Sept 2nd as well and have booked a reservation at Orisson for that night. I am in my late sixties, and reasonably fit. Was walking at least 6 miles a day til it got up to high 90's here in Florida. Time to get to the gym and the stairclimber to keep it up but I detest the gym and keep putting it off, probably a mistake. I will be starting out with a former co-worker friend of mine, Pam, and hope to see you and everyone else who starts then!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back