• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

anyone else?

saltytraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
none yet!
hey there im planning on cycling el camino del norte starting around sep 14-15, 2018.

i love the sound of the social aspect of the CF but first, i have been dying to visit the basque country, see the sights, eat pinxtos, etc. and secondly, im also nervous about being a cyclist on the CF in the larger crowds of walkers and getting last priority for a bed, etc. i would like to have decent company without maybe the extreme crowd on the CF. i would love to walk for a month but i feel like cycling will still allow me a chance to enjoy it a bit with more limited time off work.

i would love to be on trails as much as possible and hopefully complete the trip from irun in around 11 days. im mid 30s, fit, a decent road/mtb cyclist. is this doable?

has anyone else done this and would like to offer tips or advice? any thoughts on routes or if this is a good/bad idea? any other cyclists going at the same time as me?

i would love to hear any thoughts, tips, etc!

love this group!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,can't help you with your questions but I have one tip for you.
Don't forget a bell on your bike.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter .
thanks for the tip! i will be renting a bike when I'm there since checking one from the USA is not worth the hassle. i wonder if bells come with rental bikes? one of the reasons why I'm considering not doing the CF is for fear of disturbing so many walkers. hopefully it will be a good choice!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
thanks for the tip! i will be renting a bike when I'm there since checking one from the USA is not worth the hassle. i wonder if bells come with rental bikes? one of the reasons why I'm considering not doing the CF is for fear of disturbing so many walkers. hopefully it will be a good choice!

A big welcome to you!!!! :)

If cyclists follow some common sense guidlines, bicycles are not really a disturbance. Bicyclists are recognized as legitimate pilgrims, and so coexistence on camino is the rule rather than the exception.

1. Many pedestrian pilgrims are hard of hearing, or otherwise distracted creating a heaing deficiency, which do not allow them to hear the normal noise of an approaching bicycle.

2. Warn walkers that you approach by a loud signal, either vocal or mechanical, while far enough back to not startle yet close enough to be heard. The louder the better, to a certain extent, ass that allows more distance for an effective warning.

3. Bicycles should yield to horses and pedestrians when there is any potential for conflict.

4. Even with a warning signal, the approaching bicycle should slow as the rider approaches pedestrians and horses. Both are unpredictable, and can move unexpectantly into the path of a bicycle with no ability of a fast moving cyclist to have time to avoid potential injury. There are even many cyclists who, themselves, have crashed and are hurt trying to avoid a collision with a pedestrian unaware of the approaching bike.

There may be other guidelines or tips that others can add, but these are the ones that are at the top of my concerns.

Hi Salty,

Jenny267 and I just completed the Camino Frances in September 2017 and we left separate detailed accounts of our travels in the biking section of this forum. You might like to take a look for some tips. Sounds like you are a more experienced cyclist than me, so you would enjoy the bike far more than me. I did the CF 800km over 12 days and thought it was hell on wheels with not enough time to enjoy the experience. I left SJPDP on 16/9/17 and thought the number of pilgrims on the trails were reasonable and not too busy. Some days and certain times are busier than others. Certainly no more than 50 pilgrims spread over a km before Sarria, then double it. During the afternoon, you will be virtually alone on the trails because most walkers finish their day by about 2pm. I haven't done any research on the Norte, so cant really comment on that. Enjoy !

Hi Salty,

Jenny267 and I just completed the Camino Frances in September 2017 and we left separate detailed accounts of our travels in the biking section of this forum. You might like to take a look for some tips. Sounds like you are a more experienced cyclist than me, so you would enjoy the bike far more than me. I did the CF 800km over 12 days and thought it was hell on wheels with not enough time to enjoy the experience. I left SJPDP on 16/9/17 and thought the number of pilgrims on the trails were reasonable and not too busy. Some days and certain times are busier than others. Certainly no more than 50 pilgrims spread over a km before Sarria, then double it. During the afternoon, you will be virtually alone on the trails because most walkers finish their day by about 2pm. I haven't done any research on the Norte, so cant really comment on that. Enjoy !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
thanks so much for your input! i am a cyclist and basically fit in general, though attempting a range of 80km per day ish is no walk in the park at any rate. my mindset is that it will be a challenge. i would live to spend more time but im trying to find the life balance if doing something awesome while not being away from kids and work too long. better to go a little quickly than not at all, right?
im definitely still considering doing the CF still at this point. i keep reading about how it should be the one you do if you're doing your first camino. ive been wayching some youtube and netflicks and the journey and community look so lovely! so im definitely interested in any more thoughts or advice on thr CF as well!

A big welcome to you!!!! :)

If cyclists follow some common sense guidlines, bicycles are not really a disturbance. Bicyclists are recognized as legitimate pilgrims, and so coexistence on camino is the rule rather than the exception.

1. Many pedestrian pilgrims are hard of hearing, or otherwise distracted creating a heaing deficiency, which do not allow them to hear the normal noise of an approaching bicycle.

2. Warn walkers that you approach by a loud signal, either vocal or mechanical, while far enough back to not startle yet close enough to be heard. The louder the better, to a certain extent, ass that allows more distance for an effective warning.

3. Bicycles should yield to horses and pedestrians when there is any potential for conflict.

4. Even with a warning signal, the approaching bicycle should slow as the rider approaches pedestrians and horses. Both are unpredictable, and can move unexpectantly into the path of a bicycle with no ability of a fast moving cyclist to have time to avoid potential injury. There are even many cyclists who, themselves, have crashed and are hurt trying to avoid a collision with a pedestrian unaware of the approaching bike.

There may be other guidelines or tips that others can add, but these are the ones that are at the top of my concerns.
thanks for your tips! im generally a courteous and non agressive cyclist. it will be a pilgrmage fir me also, but i dont want my cycling the camino to negatively impact anyone else's walking one. so i will do my best. still debating CF or el norte... any thoughts about that decision?

thanks for your tips! im generally a courteous and non agressive cyclist. it will be a pilgrmage fir me also, but i dont want my cycling the camino to negatively impact anyone else's walking one. so i will do my best. still debating CF or el norte... any thoughts about that decision?

Do the Camino route that you really want to do. Really! There will be a few pedestrians who will always react negatively to bicyclists regardless of the care they take to ensure everyone's safety. You have no control over the reactions of those few naysayers; you can only control how you ride and how you react if a naysayer vocalizes negativity. Do not let the few naysayers dictate where you want to ride your Camino. You have every right to ride the route you choose.

The issues of pedestrian and cyclist are present regardless of your choice of camino route. I generally believe that, due to speed and the discrepancy of mass, pedestrians and bikes on the same path can be problematic. However, I didn't find most bicyclists to be a problem, and I was fine with bicycles on the same path. Sure, there are always morons among walkers and cyclists which can be temporarily problematic, but I found that to be a big exception to the norm, and not anywhere near standard behavior.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do the Camino route that you really want to do. Really! There will be a few pedestrians who will always react negatively to bicyclists regardless of the care they take to ensure everyone's safety. You have no control over the reactions of those few naysayers; you can only control how you ride and how you react if a naysayer vocalizes negativity. Do not let the few naysayers dictate where you want to ride your Camino. You have every right to ride the route you choose.

The issues of pedestrian and cyclist are present regardless of your choice of camino route. I generally believe that, due to speed and the discrepancy of mass, pedestrians and bikes on the same path can be problematic. However, I didn't find most bicyclists to be a problem, and I was fine with bicycles on the same path. Sure, there are always morons among walkers and cyclists which can be temporarily problematic, but I found that to be a big exception to the norm, and not anywhere near standard behavior.
i appreciate your thoughts and encouragement! i have lots to think about and nearly a year to plan... or plan on not planning, other than i'll need to catch a plane from point B on a certain day. i love all the thoughts and tips from everyone!

Some good advice here, thank you !
Starting the CF in late June on Mountain Bike I am bringing from South Africa
Did the Via Podiensis on Tour Bike, traveling on the road / cycle route.
What are your options on the del Norte, are you riding on the “walkers route”?
And what kind of bike / panniers are you using ?

Some good advice here, thank you !
Starting the CF in late June on Mountain Bike I am bringing from South Africa
Did the Via Podiensis on Tour Bike, traveling on the road / cycle route.
What are your options on the del Norte, are you riding on the “walkers route”?
And what kind of bike / panniers are you using ?
hey there. not sure yet! i think im going to rent a bike there in spain, off road set up with panniers. bringing my own bike on a plane from the USA is a big hassle and expense so i dont think i'll do that. if i do the CF i will just follow the walkers route and stay off busy roads as much as possible. if i do el norte that is something i would have to research more. it seems like tere are various options. either way, ridable trails/paths seem the most preferable to me. please stay in touch as you prep for the CF. i would love to hear how it goes as i will still be a couple months out from my start in september!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.