• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone just back? I hear Norte is terribly Crowded

Beth07

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2013
Hello, I did the Frances last Sept and had a great experience. It was busy but I could always find inexpensive accommodation and only had to call ahead at the beginning. My daughter is considering the Norte because it is less crowded. However I am hearing the Norte is very crowded and expensive. Pilgrims sleeping on the floor and in big tents outside with only one toilet and two showers. Anyone out there had any recent experience? Thanks for your help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked in April 2014. There were no issues with accommodations. There are actually more donativo Albergues like Granon where they provide you with dinner and Breakfast. Guemes, Pendueles, Santa Cruz de Bazana, Casa Belen and also better laundry facilities with at least a centrifugal to spin out most of the moisture. That said, there are areas where you will have to stay in a hotel but they are reasonable, never paid more than 30 euro's and they included breakfast.

I have posted most of the stops I stayed under the Norte thread. Neve also has posted a lot more detail of her walk, also in April.

I have been following a few people over the last month and the traffic does appear to be quite a bit higher.

This is a great route but challenging in the beginning. The ocean views make up for the additional road walking. I would definitely recommend this Camino.

Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Joe

I walked in April 2014. There were no issues with accommodations. There are actually more donativo Albergues like Granon where they provide you with dinner and Breakfast. Guemes, Pendueles, Santa Cruz de Bazana, Casa Belen and also better laundry facilities with at least a centrifugal to spin out most of the moisture. That said, there are areas where you will have to stay in a hotel but they are reasonable, never paid more than 30 euro's and they included breakfast.

I have posted most of the stops I stayed under the Norte thread. Neve also has posted a lot more detail of her walk, also in April.

I have been following a few people over the last month and the traffic does appear to be quite a bit higher.

This is a great route but challenging in the beginning. The ocean views make up for the additional road walking. I would definitely recommend this Camino.

Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks so much Joe.that helps. Beth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks so much Joe. That helps. It is clearly a little more expensive on the Norte. Did you book ahead?

Como ya has hecho el Francés, supongo que sabrás que no se puede reservar en los albergues públicos.
En cuanto a problemas de alojamiento, creo que sólo los podrías tener si lo haces entre mediados de julio y finales de agosto. El resto del año, no deberías de tener problemas. Incluso si lo haces en verano, si tienes la precaución de no pasar por los puntos de partida los fines de semana, tampoco deberías de tener muchos problemas. Me explico, mi pueblo está en la etapa de Avilés- Soto de Luiña, se nota que pasan muchísimos más peregrinos el sábado y el domingo que el resto de la semana, entre otras cosas porque mucha gente elige Avilés o Gijón para empezar a andar. Entonces, si evitas pasar por lugares típicos para comenzar a caminar durante los fines de semana, tendrás muchos menos problemas.
En cuanto a si es más caro, los albergues públicos deben costar parecido a los de otros caminos. Los privados que conozco, están sobre los 15 euros. Y para comer, el menú del día está sobre los ocho euros de media, al menos en la zona asturiana.

As the French have done, I suppose you know that you can not book in public shelters.
As for housing problems, I think that only you could have if you do between mid-July and late August. The rest of the year, you should not have problems. Even if you do it in summer, if you're careful to not go through the starting points weekends, you should not have many problems. I mean, my town is at the stage Avilés-Soto de Luiña, note that many more pilgrims spend Saturday and Sunday the rest of the week, not least because many people choose Avilés and Gijón to start walking. So if you avoid going through typical places to start walking during the weekends, you will have many fewer problems.

As to whether it is more expensive, public shelters should cost similar to other roads. Private I know, are about 15 euros. And for lunch, the menu of the day is about eight euros on average, at least in the Asturias region.

Thanks so much Joe. That helps. It is clearly a little more expensive on the Norte. Did you book ahead?

Beth07:

I did not book ahead. I was never in a full Albergue or Hotel. Bear in mind, I walked in April. Other seasons the situation could be different.

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Norte in May/June of 2013 and never had problems getting accommodation and never felt it was too crowded. This summer I walked a short section in August and it was totally different. There were far more pilgrims and pressure on bed space, with many alberges full by opening time. It all depends on when you intend to walk. In spring or autumn it should be fine, summer is harder because of the heat, and because of all the tourists who holiday in this ares. What were fantastic deserted beaches in spring, became very busy in summer. Having said this, the Norte is a fantastic walk, I loved walking it, and if I was free from commitments I would be on it walking along right now....

Hello, I did the Frances last Sept and had a great experience. It was busy but I could always find inexpensive accommodation and only had to call ahead at the beginning. My daughter is considering the Norte because it is less crowded. However I am hearing the Norte is very crowded and expensive. Pilgrims sleeping on the floor and in big tents outside with only one toilet and two showers. Anyone out there had any recent experience? Thanks for your help.
I walked in April and had the slightest bit of stress over beds.
Deba has a special "off season" place to stay, it resembled a dirty broom closet and I was the last person to check in. However someone who did not "check in" had taken the bed. In La Isla I was also the last one to check in. It was an auberge with plenty of beds BUT there was a group walking together that occupied about 30% of them. I got the last bed that night which was a huge bonus...it was the sofa in the kitchen :) ...
The stress was little...but it was there.
I walk long days typically and am ALWAYS the last to leave in the AM...so the downside for me was that arrive later than most.
I loved the Norte, fear of finding a bed would never keep me away!

Thanks for the great information everyone. I am considering walking the Norte next summer and am constrained by my job as to when I can go. I will begin walking roughly June 20. Based on what I'm reading in this thread, it sounds like getting a bed might be quite a challenge on the Norte at that time...would you agree?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't let the idea of limited bed spaces get in your way. The Norte is a brilliant walk and you shouldn't be discouraged from it. Even in the height of summer we always managed to find somewhere to stay. Most alberges have overflow spaces, or know where to direct you to find a bed. There are many alberges which only open in high season and more private ones are opening all the time. Just be open to what comes along and be prepared to be flexible in your planning and the camino will unfold in front of you.

I walked Norte this August, from Bilbao to Santiago. No problems with finding bed, however August is high season. Spent 20-25 eur per day. Bon camino!

I am just arriving in Santiago from the Norte.
It is indeed busy... Even this late in September.
Many albergues were completo or nearly so.
Most were the smaller ones.
Granon was full when we were there.

Most of the pilgrims seemed to be first time folk who were avoiding the CF because they had heard of the crowds.
Only ran into one other American couple.

Pensions and albergues seem to be as crowded here in SdC now as they are in July and August.
Very long lines at Pilgrim Office.

Much more crowded on the Norte than I expected.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walk the Notre late May / June and did not find accommodation a problem, we varied our over night stay between Alberques & pensions and love the experience
the most we paid was 18 euro and that included dinner & breakfast also good company

Flying out tomorrow - arriving three days later (budget flights!) and hope to start walking after a good sleep or two - I'll update when I can on the number of people about - but I'm a first timer so don't have experience to compare to.

I'm in the hostel in Santander today, 1st Oct (capacity 38). Too early to say how many we'll be as it's only 4.10pm. However, I've been here since 2 and there are only three others. For information purposes there's no use of the kitchen though you can sit there (and we'll have breakfast there in the morning Eur 10 b&b) you can't use anything, not even the plates and cutlery - 'forbidden by the hostel' is as much as I could make out. Also, it's the first place I can't handwash. They will wash but it costs Eur 5 for using the machines so I threw in everything even the stuff I'd handwashed yesterday.
Last night in Guemes there were about 20 (capacity 60).
The hostel in Noja was not full either on the night previous to that. However, Noja itself is rather bleak now as it's pretty much closed down for the winter.
I spent Sun 28th Sep in Liendo, a small hostel which I think was nearly full. The cost there has gone up to Eur 8 and they had at least 15 beds.
Now that it's October I'm not sure what to expect from here on. However, I've not had any worries so far or concerns about finding a bed.
Having a great, if tiring, time. Weather is perfect for walking, bright and sunny but not too hot and with a cool breeze.
Mary Kate on the Norte

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm in the hostel in Santander today, 1st Oct (capacity 38). Too early to say how many we'll be as it's only 4.10pm. However, I've been here since 2 and there are only three others. For information purposes there's no use of the kitchen though you can sit there (and we'll have breakfast there in the morning Eur 10 b&b) you can't use anything, not even the plates and cutlery - 'forbidden by the hostel' is as much as I could make out. Also, it's the first place I can't handwash. They will wash but it costs Eur 5 for using the machines so I threw in everything even the stuff I'd handwashed yesterday.
Last night in Guemes there were about 20 (capacity 60).
The hostel in Noja was not full either on the night previous to that. However, Noja itself is rather bleak now as it's pretty much closed down for the winter.
I spent Sun 28th Sep in Liendo, a small hostel which I think was nearly full. The cost there has gone up to Eur 8 and they had at least 15 beds.
Now that it's October I'm not sure what to expect from here on. However, I've not had any worries so far or concerns about finding a bed.
Having a great, if tiring, time. Weather is perfect for walking, bright and sunny but not too hot and with a cool breeze.
Mary Kate on the Norte

Guemes was at capacity when we walked , very, very popular [ busses included]
If not full , then the Camino is not full.

We found from the "young ones " [ under 40yrs] that they were "directed to the Norte" because Frances was too full [ according to friends on Frances ]
We found the accommodation wonderful , and in comparison with Frances ..................1000% better............many choices.
We never seem to question airfares , trains , buses etc but we worry about a few euros / dollars a night for a better asleep.

Mary Kate , enjoy this camino,
Ear plugs last 40km ...................you will understand when you hit Fankie
Safe travels.

Last edited:
Havha
I walked in April and had the slightest bit of stress over beds.
Deba has a special "off season" place to stay, it resembled a dirty broom closet and I was the last person to check in. However someone who did not "check in" had taken the bed. In La Isla I was also the last one to check in. It was an auberge with plenty of beds BUT there was a group walking together that occupied about 30% of them. I got the last bed that night which was a huge bonus...it was the sofa in the kitchen :) ...
The stress was little...but it was there.
I walk long days typically and am ALWAYS the last to leave in the AM...so the downside for me was that arrive later than most.
I loved the Norte, fear of finding a bed would never keep me away!
ha ha Neve. Good one
I was the lucky one to get the last bed in La Isla also. The sofa in the kitchen. I has better sleep than those in the dorm who complained of the chat , the body smells and snoring. Those are incidentals though. Dependent on group that night.
When it looked like I might not get a place I was sort of wishing I had walks to the next place around 5 k further. Or taken a hotel on the highway as it was a wiggly lot if streets to find the albergue .

The overcrowding has been waves. I am sure.

Price wise. I really don't think it is more expensive on Norte.
I have been collecting my data for a survey being done by a forum member and my spending has been very low.

Annie

Havha

ha ha Neve. Good one
I was the lucky one to get the last bed in La Isla also. The sofa in the kitchen. I has better sleep than those in the dorm who complained of the chat , the body smells and snoring. Those are incidentals though. Dependent on group that night.
When it looked like I might not get a place I was sort of wishing I had walks to the next place around 5 k further. Or taken a hotel on the highway as it was a wiggly lot if streets to find the albergue .

I have been collecting my data for a survey being done by a forum member and my spending has been very low.

Annie
Tks Akan
I think they quoted 'matrimonial '. A real double. So will be me.
Also, although the Norte was busy I did not really 'meet' a like walk pal like last year. Most are already couples etc. One lady was part of a group but had to leave at Santander.
Great thought tho as would be positive in two aspects.
Annie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was in Santillana del Mar last night and there were one or two spare bunks by the end of the evening. I'd intended a short walk today but ended up doing the whole stage to Comillas because there was no one to book in with in La Iglesia's Youth Hostel. It looked closed up.
The Albergue de Peregrinos is closed in Comillas, for disinfection purposes I think, so no idea when it will be open again, if at all this year. Had a few anxious moments but the tourist office was open (Sat pm) and able to supply a list of pensions and hotels and I'm having a nice evening in a room to myself for Eur 25. The lady said most of the occupants are peregrinos and in one hotel I asked in (room Eur 50) they had just booked in about 30 peregrinos.
I don't know if that's 'busy' but it's more than I had expected.
I think the Norte has drawn a solitary lot at the moment - those of us who like to keep to ourselves. A good mix of people doing short stages of a week or so and those who have walked all the way from Holland (started in July) and a few who began in LePuy and going all the way ...
Weather great at the moment for walking but I understand rain is on the way early next week.
Buen Camino!
Mary Kate

I was in Santillana del Mar last night and there were one or two spare bunks by the end of the evening. I'd intended a short walk today but ended up doing the whole stage to Comillas because there was no one to book in with in La Iglesia's Youth Hostel. It looked closed up.
The Albergue de Peregrinos is closed in Comillas, for disinfection purposes I think, so no idea when it will be open again, if at all this year. Had a few anxious moments but the tourist office was open (Sat pm) and able to supply a list of pensions and hotels and I'm having a nice evening in a room to myself for Eur 25. The lady said most of the occupants are peregrinos and in one hotel I asked in (room Eur 50) they had just booked in about 30 peregrinos.
I don't know if that's 'busy' but it's more than I had expected.
I think the Norte has drawn a solitary lot at the moment - those of us who like to keep to ourselves. A good mix of people doing short stages of a week or so and those who have walked all the way from Holland (started in July) and a few who began in LePuy and going all the way ...
Weather great at the moment for walking but I understand rain is on the way early next week.
Buen Camino!
Mary Kate
Good reading Mary Kate. I agree with so many loners A bit sad though I thought compared to the Frances.

I think there is plenty of albergue priced accomm on Norte. Just that as we move further along we feel like sheets towels now and again. This is nice but some read it as expensive on the Norte. It is all a matter of choice

Isn't it nice tho to have a room to oneself now and then. I just had a leisurely bath !!!!
I've hit the close ks to Santiago and I've noticed the abundance of food choice on the menu Yum.
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the Norte now, and doesn't feel crowded. Municipal albergue closed, so perhaps pilgrims are spreading out around the cities? San Sebastian youth hostel full 2 days ago; finding an inexpensive pension a bit hard. Albergue in Deba was great last night. 2 rooms open - 20 beds instead of the normal off season 8 beds. Could have opened more if necessary.

Just starting on the 3rd day to recognize other pilgrims. Lots of people out on what look like day trips or normal walks. More tourists than pilgrims as one has remarked. A couple tour groups, but they are in hotels or such.

Not yet spent over 26 Euro hostel/food per day.

Very pleasant thus far!

Havha

ha ha Neve. Good one

Annie
I think my Norte was less expensive than my CF....
I always try to keep track but then stop...... I wish I did!

Last edited:
Just completed del Norte last week and found it rather lonely, so I guess it does come in waves. Never had any problem with accommodations even after hitting Arzua. Did find the mood unpleasantly too festive after reaching Arzua; it's like the camino party just began. I'm even finding Santiago a little to0 festive and commercial for me these days. I feel that there are a lot more accommodations than those reflected in the guidebooks. Not trying to be negative, just a little worried that the spiritual, reflective side of the Caminos, especially the CF are being impacted or maybe I just have the post camino blues.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just completed del Norte last week and found it rather lonely, so I guess it does come in waves. Never had any problem with accommodations even after hitting Arzua. Did find the mood unpleasantly too festive after reaching Arzua; it's like the camino party just began. I'm even finding Santiago a little to0 festive and commercial for me these days. I feel that there are a lot more accommodations than those reflected in the guidebooks. Not trying to be negative, just a little worried that the spiritual, reflective side of the Caminos, especially the CF are being impacted or maybe I just have the post camino blues.
Know what you mean by feeling a bit lonely. It hit me a little yesterday but that was partly due to rain and cold and maybe mid-camino blues and an unfriendly overpriced albergue. I can't complain about no one to talk to because I don't want to talk to people! Also, my pace (slow) means people will always pass me out and new ones I meet are only around for a couple of days. At this point even the towns and bars with music playing all begin to feel too noisy. I'll probably want to be a hermit by the time I hit Santiago or Fisterra or wherever. But it's (mostly) a wonderful experience, especially when you can sit for a couple of hours on a warm terrace in a bar with a glass of tinto and having enjoyed an omelette bocadillo! Just off now to check if the albergue is open yet, have a shower, wash the clothes ... I'm sure you remember the routine!
Mary Kate from Pendueles

Most read last week in this forum

Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back