• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone know what Hærvejen (Denmark) will be like in July?

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
I'm looking for my next camino and this looks like it would be an interesting and beautiful option. I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum who could give me a few basic facts about it, because there seems to be very little English-language info about this camino?

My most basic question is which direction do most people walk it in? Obviously North to South would be the Santiago-pilgrimage direction, but what little info I've found online mostly lists it going from South to North, starting near Germany and ending in Viborg.

I would be walking it mid to late July and was wondering how busy it would be? This isn't concern that I won't get an herberge bed - it's concern that I'll be a bit lonely! I'll be walking it on my own and I don't speak any Danish. I'd like to still have people to walk, chat and cook with each evening, like you would on most Spanish caminos. Is that likely on this route at this time of year?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm hope to walk a few days on it in late August. I haven't done a whole lot of research yet, but @Sunopo who had an informative thread on it last year, was kind enough to send me some basic information and maps. From what I can gather, most walk it from north to south but it's pretty well signposted so it shouldn't be an issue whichever direction you choose. Not speaking Danish shouldnt be any real hindrance either as the Danes have excellent english (though I hope to use and improve on my rusty basic Danish, having lived there many years ago). I would expect July to be a busy time and it might be a good idea to bring a tent. I might be proved wrong, but I wouldn't be expecting a camino vibe.

I walked North-South from Fredrikshavn to Viborg end of May in 2014. I was too early for the opening of most herberges, so I had some difficulties in finding places to sleep. My plan was to walk further but much pollen put an end to my walk.
Do not forget to visit domkirken in Viborg. It is very nice.
I did not meet a single soul along my way, but perhaps more busy in July. I think my guidebook had some English too, I try to trace it somewhere to find out.
There was a lot of hardroad along the Hærvejen, and believe it or not, Denmark is not a flat country, an endless lot of hills, told by a Norwegian who walks hills every day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can walk it in both directions; I walked it in 2016 from Viborg to Dannevirke (in Germany). It is reasonably well marked, but there are places where the signage is placed a little strange and some places, mostly in forest areas, where markers may be more or less covered by vegetation, so you need to be observant.

In July you will probably meet other walkers, but it will not be crowded and there will probably be plenty of space in the albergues.

As for the language, most people in Denmark speak English (more or less) so I don’t think that will be a major problem.

As for the weather in July, be prepared for a a little of this and a little of that.

Regrettably, there are only a few resources available in English, but here are some:

http://haervejsherberger.dk/the-danish-pilrims-route/

https://www.haervej.com

There are also an official app on Hærvejen: https://www.haervej.com/ancient-road/plan-your-trip/find-your-way-ancient-road

I am sure you will enjoy this walk :)

I'm looking for my next camino and this looks like it would be an interesting and beautiful option. I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum who could give me a few basic facts about it, because there seems to be very little English-language info about this camino?

My most basic question is which direction do most people walk it in? Obviously North to South would be the Santiago-pilgrimage direction, but what little info I've found online mostly lists it going from South to North, starting near Germany and ending in Viborg.

I would be walking it mid to late July and was wondering how busy it would be? This isn't concern that I won't get an herberge bed - it's concern that I'll be a bit lonely! I'll be walking it on my own and I don't speak any Danish. I'd like to still have people to walk, chat and cook with each evening, like you would on most Spanish caminos. Is that likely on this route at this time of year?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Don’t worry, most Danes speak fluent English.

Thanks very much to everyone for their comments and links here.
Don’t worry, most Danes speak fluent English.
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the comments and links. This is helpful.

If I can choose to walk it in either direction, I wonder which way I should choose. The pilgrim in me wants to walk in the direction of Santiago. The social person in me wants to walk whichever way I'm going to have the most company.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and links. This is helpful.

If I can choose to walk it in either direction, I wonder which way I should choose. The pilgrim in me wants to walk in the direction of Santiago. The social person in me wants to walk whichever way I'm going to have the most company.

I don’t think it will make a lot of difference which way you walk with respect to how many you will meet. From what I hear, the southern part (Viborg to Padborg) is the most ‘populated’. When I walked in 2016, I was alone in the albergues (in Danish ‘herberger’) roughly 1/3 of the nights, but I think the trail has picked up in popularity in recent years. Anyway, the hospitaleros (’værter’) in the albergues are extremely friendly and helpful and the albergues are generally of a quite high standard.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don’t think it will make a lot of difference which way you walk with respect to how many you will meet. From what I hear, the southern part (Viborg to Padborg) is the most ‘populated’. When I walked in 2016, I was alone in the albergues (in Danish ‘herberger’) roughly 1/3 of the nights, but I think the trail has picked up in popularity in recent years. Anyway, the hospitaleros (’værter’) in the albergues are extremely friendly and helpful and the albergues are generally of a quite high standard.
That's great to hear, Turga. Thank you.

Can you tell me, what does everyone do for food? Are there restaurants often near the albergues that cater to the hikers / pilgrims, or does everyone need to bring things from the supermarket to cook?

In many of the albergues you can buy food or there will be a village near by with shops/supermarkets. Often there will also be restaurants or ‘kroer’ (pubs), but they are not really ‘pilgrim-oriented’ in the sense that they serve cheap meals. Eating in restaurants in Denmark could be a bit of a pricy affair, I guess much like in the UK – especially if you want wine 🤪

Here is an overview of the albergues with some additional information (I’m not quite sure how up-to-date it is):

Thanks - that leaflet is really helpful!

So- did you go and how was it ?

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.