• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone tried toe socks?

jenipickles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July/August 2013
As I look forward to beginning my walk in July and ever mindful of the spectre of the dreaded blisters, I wondered if anyone has tried toe socks.

Any product reviews that I have read would suggest that because they cut down on the skin to skin friction points, they are very effective.

Your experiences please.

Cheers
Jen

Attachments

• Toe socks image.jpg
    Toe socks image.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 1,242
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
yes! injinji liner socks are brilliant for me with a pair of woolen socks on top.
I've tried using ladies' stockings but they slipped around too much. Would be interested in trying a liner sock that was the same fabric as injinji but without the toes - they are fiddly to put on and are wearing quite quickly between the toes.

If you are prone to toe blisters, they might be worth the fiddle.

I've been using Fox River silver liners under SmartWool socks for nearly a year. Last week I tried the Injinji Lightweight toe socks under the SmartWool and found that my feet got uncomfortably hot. I finally changed back into the Fox River midway through my hike. Will give the Injinjis one more try before I leave for Spain next week.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you buy the Injinji toe sock buy the lightweight version instead of the original.
I had good success with them. I also wore smart wool liner socks.
I only wore one or the other my feet were to hot with two pairs of socks on.

Have used Get toe protectors, with great success and have recommended them to friends who are
Fellow-sufferers.Easily obtainable on Amazon.

I bought a pair and thought I had better try them out before I started the Camino. As I came downhill after walking on the nearby mountain, I felt the pressure start to build on the nail of a big toe. By then it was too late; another toe nail turned black and on the way out. Although I tend to lose the odd nail on long walks, this was just a day walk. I think my toes must be different lengths to those allowed for in the toe socks resulting in the pressure which would normally be spread across all toes being concentrated on one.

Probably just a problem peculiar to me but I thought it worth a mention.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
injini+smartwool = no blisters for me but only for St Jean to Burgos.
I think staying dry is also important.
They are a little bit difficult to put on at times is the only drawback
8)

I wear toe socks religiously. I have arthritis in my foot and my toes squish together, so toe socks really help to keep them separated. Also, they can often be found in all kinds of fun colours! I find they keep my feet much warmer and also help prevent ingrown toenails which I was prone to getting.

On my Caminos I always wore Injinji toe socks under mid weight hiking socks. Never had a single blister. I swear by them!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Never used them personally although I know two people who absolutely swear by them and won't wear anything else now.

I have been using Injinji socks for about 6 months and have tried various other liners but always come back to the toe sock, As stated get the thin or light weight version, Great with Smartwool ultra thin socks

Dave

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've been using Injinji toe socks for my training hikes and love the short ones alone, not as liners. I don't like the longer socks because the bands around the tops are too snug for me and I have legs on the thin side.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They are definitely worth having because they allow your toes a bit more freedom. I found them a good option for wearing with sandals when the walking day is done. I have also heard that they wear out quickly.

I'm walking in the mid weight Injinji socks on the Camino Portuguese route right now and they are awesome! I used to get blisters between my toes and on the arch but haven't had anything in the past 2 week. These are socks not the liners and I was really worried that my feet would get too hot but they haven't. Considering we have had some 45 degree days that says a lot about the socks. The mid weight provide good cushioning too. Would highly recommend.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I bought a pair and thought I had better try them out before I started the Camino. As I came downhill after walking on the nearby mountain, I felt the pressure start to build on the nail of a big toe. By then it was too late; another toe nail turned black and on the way out. Although I tend to lose the odd nail on long walks, this was just a day walk. I think my toes must be different lengths to those allowed for in the toe socks resulting in the pressure which would normally be spread across all toes being concentrated on one.

Probably just a problem peculiar to me but I thought it worth a mention.

Ah, the Toenail Blister. (Yuck. Been There Done That.)
I walked without even knowing about toe socks in 2014--in boots that were probably 1/2 size too small--got the Black Toe on the very 2nd day. Also had huge, painful blisters on the heels, the toes, the soles. Survived, but it was painful. (Didn't know the things mentioned at https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/toenail-blisters.) These many months later, I recognize that the boots were too small, and also water got into them and when going downhill the feet slammed into the front of the boot. Didn't know about tying heel-lock patterns into shoelaces yet, either.
In 2015, had Injinji liner socks plus regular type sox (still same shoes, hadn't learned that lesson yet) and ended up using the liner socks only. It was very comfortable. Very few blisters, those that came were because it was such a hot year. Knew about heel-locks and they were a huge help. (Treated the few blisters with alcohol (hand sanitizer is just jellied alcohol), gauze, and adhesive tape. Except for the adhesive melting thru the tape and getting on the socks, this worked very well.)
In the few days we got this year, had the Injinji hiking socks (supposed to be lightweight I think, but memory fades on some things) and discovered that wearing these socks made my feet wider in the toes. Got toenail blisters--only one of them black--on three toes. (Had laced the boots too tight. Oops.) Figured out the hard way that I needed to relace my boots for more toe room--now at home, have gone to a lacing that skips about every other crossing opportunity, plus the heel lock. Time will tell if this is a great way or not.
I don't think it's likely that the toe pockets are the wrong size for one toe, but it is likely that you need to adjust your boot lacing for the width of the fabric increasing the width of your toes. (And spend the time to wiggle that little pocket all the way onto each toe, one by one. ;))
Buen camino.

Love mine, love the soft material (injijis) BUT .... I cannot wear them day after day, week after week as they keep moisture in and make the skin where the toe flexes and joins the ball of the foot tear, as kt does when I spend a couple of weeks scuba diving 4 dives a day. The medium thickness do it in a few days. The lighter ones take 2 weeks to do this.

I am a recent convert. They are awesome and NO blisters on my recent walk from Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I, too, love Injinji toe socks
After trying numerous suggestions on the forum, i ended up wearing low light weight toe socks as my primary foot wear with Blistershield and occasionally tape. I tried toe sock liners with a second sock but this had no benefit to me

The low socks prevent the tight areas seen with mid height versions as the band is wider and stretchy
The light weight gave more protection and support compared to liners, and anything heavier was too hot for my foot

they do dry slower with the heavy weave so 3 pairs did better than 2 (one drying, one on and one to wear the next day

I wear them even today on my 12 hours work shifts

I, too, love Injinji toe socks
After trying numerous suggestions on the forum, i ended up wearing low light weight toe socks as my primary foot wear with Blistershield and occasionally tape. I tried toe sock liners with a second sock but this had no benefit to me

The low socks prevent the tight areas seen with mid height versions as the band is wider and stretchy
The light weight gave more protection and support compared to liners, and anything heavier was too hot for my foot

they do dry slower with the heavy weave so 3 pairs did better than 2 (one drying, one on and one to wear the next day

I wear them even today on my 12 hours work shifts

Toe socks with blister cream work well for me. I just tried out socks with built-in liners along with the cream, and that worked well. But to be honest, in the bit of pre-Camino training I've done, the longest I've walked is 17k with just one 30 minute lunch break. I was pretty tired afterwards. LOL

Kia ora Jen,

I love them. I have used the injinji which were great but currently, i am using Karrimor sock liners with toes which i prefer. Although i originally purchased them for walking the Camino i now use them daily as my socks. Fantastic when walking in summer. I was really prone to blisters until i started using them and as a diabetic they could quite literally be saving my feet. Safe journeys, kia kaha and buen camino.
Bryce

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.