• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone used a Z Pack Arc Blast backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016
Del Norte, Finesterre 2018
Hi lots of good advice here and was wondering if anyone has used a Z Pack Arc Blast backpack? I'm thinking of buying one from the USA and as it's quite expensive would appreciate any comments. I'm amazed by the light weight of 595g but have a perfectly good Mammut which I used last time but with a weight of 1.6KG, a lighter one sounds like a good option. Cheers and thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used the Arc Zip Blast
Loved it
It fit my body better and suited my packing style better the the Gorilla
The weight / fit far out weighed any talk of “too big”

I did the roll top in addition to the front zipper and would not do that again
The roll tended to create hollows at the top that rain pooled in. Annoying.,
I preferred the full access of the front zipper. It was quieter with less digging around to access stuff within the pack
Held up very well. Hip belts good
breathed well as long as no pack cover. The rain covers block air flow from sides. I prefer a rain jacket over a poncho anyway
It may be a bit long for some over head airline compartments. I used z pack airline bag so I could pack a knife and my poles and used the bag as a liner ( actually unnecessary due to Cuban fiber material was so water resistant as to be “proof”
Since I plan more distance hiking ( and I’m getting older) it was worth the price to me

I really love most of Zpacks gear. I own a rain jacket and a ultra lightweight tent from them. I've used the Arc Blast and the Arc Hauler when I was asked to do an equipment evaluation. They were given to me on an extended loan. I didn't care for the feel of the pack, it just never felt 'right'. Those who have used them or tried them either love them or hate them. You want to be sure of the international return policy in case you are among the latter.

While these packs are ultra light, the Cuben fiber (dyneema composite) is far more susceptible to wear and holes in the bag then a fabric like a Robic nylon, which is slightly heavier, but lasts a lot longer. There are some dynamite cottage industry backpack manufacturers that also produce backpacks much lighter than your current pack. If you would like some recommendations send me a PM through the forum.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used the Arc Zip Blast
Loved it
It fit my body better and suited my packing style better the the Gorilla
The weight / fit far out weighed any talk of “too big”

I did the roll top in addition to the front zipper and would not do that again
The roll tended to create hollows at the top that rain pooled in. Annoying.,
I preferred the full access of the front zipper. It was quieter with less digging around to access stuff within the pack
Held up very well. Hip belts good
breathed well as long as no pack cover. The rain covers block air flow from sides. I prefer a rain jacket over a poncho anyway
It may be a bit long for some over head airline compartments. I used z pack airline bag so I could pack a knife and my poles and used the bag as a liner ( actually unnecessary due to Cuban fiber material was so water resistant as to be “proof”
Since I plan more distance hiking ( and I’m getting older) it was worth the price to me
Thanks Nanc....I'm leaning that way!! Just have to make a quick decision as I'm leaving on the 1st May...Cheers

I really love most of Zpacks gear. I own a rain jacket and a ultra lightweight tent from them. I've used the Arc Blast and the Arc Hauler when I was asked to do an equipment evaluation. They were given to me on an extended loan. I didn't care for the feel of the pack, it just never felt 'right'. Those who have used them or tried them either love them or hate them. You want to be sure of the international return policy in case you are among the latter.

While these packs are ultra light, the Cuben fiber (dyneema composite) is far more susceptible to wear and holes in the bag then a fabric like a Robic nylon, which is slightly heavier, but lasts a lot longer. There are some dynamite cottage industry backpack manufacturers that also produce backpacks much lighter than your current pack. If you would like some recommendations send me a PM through the forum.
Thanks davebugg! I know I'll have to treat the Z Pack carefully as I have a multipack and have thought how crackley it feels and wondered about its sturdiness. Have watched a number of Utube videos and hope if I go ahead with it that I'll love it and that it feels right for me. Much appreciate your constructive thoughts

I too walked with the Arc Blast. I can't tell you how much I love that pack! I have been a regular hiker, and it is always my go-to pack. I've put at least 1000 miles on it, no wear and tear yet.

Even with a full load, I feel like I'm wearing nothing. The fit, for me, is perfect.

As always, your mileage could vary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Zpacks packs are quite popular for through-hikers on the US Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail , which are 4-6 months journeys. So they are durable as well as lightweight. The problems I have seen reported are mostly rodents chewing holes, or the netting snagged on shrubbery. But they are expensive; one would need to think about future uses vs disposable income. Assuming, of course, the fit issues as mentioned previously. Another nice feature of this line is the ability to customize with additional shoulder and/or hip pouches. Osprey has a new line of Dyneema fabric packs coming this spring; they have also redesigned the Exos.

I have a Z-packs Arc blast. In the last three years I have walked 11 full camino's, plus the GR 10 and GR 11 coast to coast, across the Pyrennes. I have a little over 13,000 km's carried with this pack. Apart from a couple of very minor repairs the pack will be coming with me this year when I walk the Camino del sureste and the high route pyrennes.
The pack is durable and very light. I also purchased the chest pack and hip belt pockets both of which work very well for me.

The Zpacks packs are quite popular for through-hikers on the US Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail , which are 4-6 months journeys. So they are durable as well as lightweight. The problems I have seen reported are mostly rodents chewing holes, or the netting snagged on shrubbery. But they are expensive; one would need to think about future uses vs disposable income. Assuming, of course, the fit issues as mentioned previously. Another nice feature of this line is the ability to customize with additional shoulder and/or hip pouches. Osprey has a new line of Dyneema fabric packs coming this spring; they have also redesigned the Exos.

When I thru-hiked the PCT and the Colorado Trail I saw a good number of Arc Blasts. When talking to some of the owners, I think one of the big factors between liking the pack or despising it had to do with the weight of the load being carried. Even though the Arc Blast is rated for loads up to 35 pounds, it seemed if the load was above 25 pounds, more owners grumbled about the pack than if the load was 25 pounds or less. (the load weight wasn't measured, but was what the owner stated it was... and most serious backpackers know their load weights quite well). But, heck, my total pack weight on my thru-hikes, including 7-10 worth of food and fuel at resupply points, never went above 24 pounds. So, I would be more likely to grumble, too, if I were carrying 35 pounds in my pack. Fortunately, one of the many joys of Camino is that with the infrastructure support available, my Camino pack weight was only around 9 pounds.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I too walked with the Arc Blast. I can't tell you how much I love that pack! I have been a regular hiker, and it is always my go-to pack. I've put at least 1000 miles on it, no wear and tear yet.

Even with a full load, I feel like I'm wearing nothing. The fit, for me, is perfect.

As always, your mileage could vary.
thanks Priscilla.

I have a Z-packs Arc blast. In the last three years I have walked 11 full camino's, plus the GR 10 and GR 11 coast to coast, across the Pyrennes. I have a little over 13,000 km's carried with this pack. Apart from a couple of very minor repairs the pack will be coming with me this year when I walk the Camino del sureste and the high route pyrennes.
The pack is durable and very light. I also purchased the chest pack and hip belt pockets both of which work very well for me.
Thanks - the wear and tear factor is encouraging. I already have the chest pack and have used it with my Mammut pack - it's great.

When I thru-hiked the PCT and the Colorado Trail I saw a good number of Arc Blasts. When talking to some of the owners, I think one of the big factors between liking the pack or despising it had to do with the weight of the load being carried. Even though the Arc Blast is rated for loads up to 35 pounds, it seemed if the load was above 25 pounds, more owners grumbled about the pack than if the load was 25 pounds or less. (the load weight wasn't measured, but was what the owner stated it was... and most serious backpackers know their load weights quite well). But, heck, my total pack weight on my thru-hikes, including 7-10 worth of food and fuel at resupply points, never went above 24 pounds. So, I would be more likely to grumble, too, if I were carrying 35 pounds in my pack. Fortunately, one of the many joys of Camino is that with the infrastructure support available, my Camino pack weight was only around 9 pounds.
My carry weight will be around 13 pounds with water and that is including everything down to extra pole tips! I've scaled everything.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi lots of good advice here and was wondering if anyone has used a Z Pack Arc Blast backpack? I'm thinking of buying one from the USA and as it's quite expensive would appreciate any comments. I'm amazed by the light weight of 595g but have a perfectly good Mammut which I used last time but with a weight of 1.6KG, a lighter one sounds like a good option. Cheers and thanks!
Yes, I used one all the way from Canterbury to Rome. For me the pluses were the light weight and the waterproof material. However, although I am a veteran of many rucksacks and know how to fit one, I never felt entirely comfortable, and it hurt my shoulders. I guess that was just me! The other problem was that one of the spokes forming the frame pierced through its fabric cup holding it in place, sending all the weight onto one shoulder. I managed to fashion a repair of the fabric cup with kinesio tape, but it's not good enough when you've still got 900km to go, and paid a lot of money for a bespoke pack. They did mend it very quickly when I got home and reimbursed the postage (I live in the UK), but obviously it shouldn't have happened.

Yes, I used one all the way from Canterbury to Rome. For me the pluses were the light weight and the waterproof material. However, although I am a veteran of many rucksacks and know how to fit one, I never felt entirely comfortable, and it hurt my shoulders. I guess that was just me! The other problem was that one of the spokes forming the frame pierced through its fabric cup holding it in place, sending all the weight onto one shoulder. I managed to fashion a repair of the fabric cup with kinesio tape, but it's not good enough when you've still got 900km to go, and paid a lot of money for a bespoke pack. They did mend it very quickly when I got home and reimbursed the postage (I live in the UK), but obviously it shouldn't have happened.

No, it isn't just you. What you experienced are complaints by a lot of users. It is one of the reasons that users of the packs are seemingly polarized about loving or not liking them. As an equipment tester for their packs, I had a similar experience. As experienced as I am at pack fitting and adjustments, I could never get it to "ride" correctly. One thing or another would feel "off" and despite my best efforts could never quite dial it in.

Now, I could definitely backpack and bushwhack with it (although bushwhacking is not kind to cuben fiber or thinner nylon bags), but it would be a "forward" presence; it would alway let me know it's there. A pack that fits and adjusts properly will not make the weight in a pack disappear, but you generally forget about the pack itself.

The great thing about Zpacks is their customer service and the general quality of their equipment. I own their poncho, their tent, and their rain jacket. I love them. But the Arc Pack Series and I don't get along :)

BTW. the CleverHiker site gives the ArcFlex a big thumbs up, while acknowledging some weaknesses :) And I agree, for those that are able to get a good fit, it is a good pack, and will certainly help reduce the 'back sweats'. :)

I would surely like to see your packing list for the PCT that included 7-10 days of food. That would be really useful information. I walked 3 caminos with an 11 pound pack (using a 2.3 pound Osprey Exos 48 liter pack) but never imagined that you could hike the PCT with a total weight under 25-pounds. I have ultralight tend, bag and mat. It's the food, stove and fuel that adds the weight.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How ultralight? My sleeping quilt, tent and pad weigh 2.5 pounds; clothing: 4 pounds; cooking gear: 8 ounces; and other sundry gear - like assorted hygiene and first aid and etc: 4 pounds. Total base weight: around 11 pounds. Add freeze dried food and snacks and fuel (4 oz): 11.75 pounds. Total weight: 22.75 pounds

And each day gets lighter as food is consumed. Which makes resupply points a love-hate relationship.

I give up a bit of convenience and use my knowledge and skills, rather than excess equipment, to keep comfortable. A lot of folks on the forum share the same skill set. I very much enjoy being able to move longer and faster because of the low weight on my back. Heck, some of the super-ultralight thru-hikers will have a total backpack weight of between 15 and 20 pounds. For 7 days between re-supply. :) I'm a piker compared to those guys.

My cooking gear consists of a plastic spork, a titanium mug, and a 2.5 ounce stove with a small fuel canister. Not much weight to it :)

For more specifics feel free to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it isn't just you. What you experienced are complaints by a lot of users. It is one of the reasons that users of the packs are seemingly polarized about loving or not liking them. As an equipment tester for their packs, I had a similar experience. As experienced as I am at pack fitting and adjustments, I could never get it to "ride" correctly. One thing or another would feel "off" and despite my best efforts could never quite dial it in.

Now, I could definitely backpack and bushwhack with it (although bushwhacking is not kind to cuben fiber or thinner nylon bags), but it would be a "forward" presence; it would alway let me know it's there. A pack that fits and adjusts properly will not make the weight in a pack disappear, but you generally forget about the pack itself.

The great thing about Zpacks is their customer service and the general quality of their equipment. I own their poncho, their tent, and their rain jacket. I love them. But the Arc Pack Series and I don't get along :)

BTW. the CleverHiker site gives the ArcFlex a big thumbs up, while acknowledging some weaknesses :) And I agree, for those that are able to get a good fit, it is a good pack, and will certainly help reduce the 'back sweats'. :)
Now what a comfort to read that! I could never forget it was there, whereas with heavier packs (my first was 2.4kg!) that fitted well I didn't know I had them on. I think I might sell mine, but I'll never get back even half the price.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Now what a comfort to read that! I could never forget it was there, whereas with heavier packs (my first was 2.4kg!) that fitted well I didn't know I had them on. I think I might sell mine, but I'll never get back even half the price.
Hi Harington..Ahh backpacks and weight! I was leaning towards upgrading to an Arc Blast but having to get one sent from USA, then perhaps having to remove the frame to go in the cargo hold to Spain and reading about the complicated frame to reassemble (ZPack Arc Blast 55 review) quote under Adaptability "frame so intricate, we are sorry we ever disassembled the pack: recommend that you follow our lead", I thought if I can't take it as hand luggage and have to disassemble at the check in, I'd probably have a melt down with stress. I also emailed ZPacks and they commented that people do remove the arc for putting into the cargo hold (not sure if that is the full disassembly). So after all that I'm looking at the new Exos Lumina 45 to be released in early March. Weight wise its only 215g more that the Arc Blast and a good 600g lighter than my Mammut and I can get it in Oz, not to mention the cost saving.
I've appreciated everyones comments both good and bad!

Hi Harington..Ahh backpacks and weight! I was leaning towards upgrading to an Arc Blast but having to get one sent from USA, then perhaps having to remove the frame to go in the cargo hold to Spain and reading about the complicated frame to reassemble (ZPack Arc Blast 55 review) quote under Adaptability "frame so intricate, we are sorry we ever disassembled the pack: recommend that you follow our lead", I thought if I can't take it as hand luggage and have to disassemble at the check in, I'd probably have a melt down with stress. I also emailed ZPacks and they commented that people do remove the arc for putting into the cargo hold (not sure if that is the full disassembly). So after all that I'm looking at the new Exos Lumina 45 to be released in early March. Weight wise its only 215g more that the Arc Blast and a good 600g lighter than my Mammut and I can get it in Oz, not to mention the cost saving.

https://andrewskurka.com/2018/osprey-exos-eja-vs-levity-lumina-differences-sacrifices/

For consideration -- Gossamer Gear's Gorilla; the same weight as the Lumina, but better built.

Why does one have to disassemble them? When I flew back home there was no question of doing so. All I had to do was loosen the tension cord that holds the rucksack off one's back - but only so it packed compactly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why does one have to disassemble them? When I flew back home there was no question of doing so. All I had to do was loosen the tension cord that holds the rucksack off one's back - but only so it packed compactly.
Maybe that was for the review committee. I'm waiting on an email from ZPack to clarify. Did yours travel in the cargo hold and was it sturdy enough? or did you have to pack it into a harder protective box? That may be a silly question!

At the airport (Rome) I put it into a black dustbin sack, and bound it tight with cord. They still wanted it in the "outsize/odd size" luggage, but it was fine. I don't think any airline would accept a full rucksack of that size in cabin baggage.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.