• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack

EvC

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal
Would an Osprey Hikelite 26 Unisex Hiking Backpack be big enough for Camino Francés in August for 3-4 weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Although I’m not familiar with this particular backpack, my wife and I have now walked several Caminos with Osprey’s 36L Sirrus and Stratos models. Even though this doesn’t seem like a particularly large pack, we both always have room to spare. We’re very careful about what we carry and the overall weight of our packs (usually around 6 kgs). Although I’ve thought about getting a 26L pack, I’ve only resisted doing so because my current pack is great so I just under-pack from what the maximum capacity could be. You don’t need much on the Camino. Carefully choose what you’re taking with you and I think a 26L pack will be fine. My very unscientific observation from my last Camino is that pilgrims are moving toward smaller packs. If you don’t need it, don’t carry it. Buen Camino!
PS, one of the things that I do like about my pack is that it has a separate compartment for my sleeping bag which I’m not sure that the smaller packs offer.

It would be too tight for me - I'm not a fan of having to construct a puzzle every morning to pack my backpack. 😉

You should gather together everything that you plan to take on the Camino, then see if it fits.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My wife uses a 26L pack. (I use 34L)

But......

She is only 5' 1" and hence her clothes take up a smaller space than me.
She does not carry a sleeping bag as we stay in private rooms.
We don't walk in cold weather, so we carry less bulky clothes.

She might 'just' fit a sleeping bag, but it would be tight.
And a really small sleeping bag (just 400g)

3-4 weeks, or 3-4 days is all the same.
Our packing list doesn't change.

Would an Osprey Hikelite 26 Unisex Hiking Backpack be big enough for Camino Francés in August for 3-4 weeks?
Possibly, but it depends mainly on whether/what sleeping bag, spare footwear, and rain gear you are bringing. You really need to test it.

I'm on my second Lowe Alpine 25L. The first one fell to bits after about 10 caminos/6,500km. It's compact but has enough room for all I need and with a litre of water it weighs about 8kg whether I'm walking for 5 days or 5 weeks. I strap my sleeping bag and wet gear in a dry bag underneath and the low centre of gravity works very well for me, I hardly know it's there..

20230109_202042.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It depends on how fine tuned your packing list is. Most people hike with a 30-45L pack. I hiked 2 Caminos with a 30L and for my 1st Camino it had just a little extra room for snacks. Second Camino it was about half full and plenty of room for snacks and after my Camino a whole new wardrobe fit in instead of my snacks. Next Camino I will use my new 24L pack because I have scaled back my packing list so much. That said - for the Via Francigena, I am going back to a 30L because while my packing list will be mostly similar - I will be bringing adding a sleeping pad and bivy for nights when I need to wild camp. They do fit in my 24L, but I wouldn't have room for food in my pack and on the VF I need to carry more food than on the Camino.

Also depends on the season. I hike in late May through July. I do have warn and rain layers including a puffy jacket and rain jacket. I do get cold in the summer months. But for a winter Camino my clothing would be warmer and I would bring more warmth layers - so I would definitely fill up at least my 30L again for a wintr Camino.

Also depends on your size. Bigger/taller people wear bigger/taller clothes which take up more space than a small/medium frame person.

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back