• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 1st or 2nd start...

Kerry Mark

Time of past OR future Camino
I did not realise it would be this exciting as it gets closer to our camino.....I am terrified of being cold though...I was born and bread in the Northern Territory of Australia!! Never been cold in my life!! Thinking of the cold takes my breath away and coupled with excitement I hope my heart does not stop before we get there!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Clothes in layers are most effective in dealing with the cold.. I'm from the warmer climate myself and have walked last April... Haven't experienced cold even during lower temps.. You get warmed up a lot during walking.
Buen Camino!

I did not realise it would be this exciting as it gets closer to our camino.....I am terrified of being cold though...I was born and bread in the Northern Territory of Australia!! Never been cold in my life!! Thinking of the cold takes my breath away and coupled with excitement I hope my heart does not stop before we get there!
I leave in 10 weeks for my 7th trip to Spain in 8 years, and I STILL get excited, every time! As for getting cold, that will happen in April. Some of the mornings may have a light frost on the ground. Perhaps a pair of gloves and a beanie will be good. Be wary of putting too many clothes on before you start walking, as within about 10 minutes of beginning your body will start to warm up and you will be stopping to take off clothes. Then you have to take your backpack off, put the excess clothes in, put your pack on again, and begin once more. Sometimes it is better to start off feeling a bit cold.

You WILL have a great time. Welcome to the camino.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We will be in SJPDP March 28th our paths may cross, we too are getting excited as the time gets closer. We have purchased merino thermals from Kathmandu hoping they will keep us comfortable, I think I would prefer to walk in the cool than the heat though. Buen Camino

We will be in SJPDP March 28th our paths may cross, we too are getting excited as the time gets closer. We have purchased merino thermals from Kathmandu hoping they will keep us comfortable, I think I would prefer to walk in the cool than the heat though. Buen Camino

I have one pair of Heattech thermals and have been trying to decide on another...perhaps the ultracore? Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One other thing to consider about a 1st or 2nd April start this year is that it is Semana Santa (Holy Week). Traditionally the number of pilgrims on the Camino experiences a little peak around Easter. If you can see one of the processions in a town or village along the way you will catch a little of Spain very different from the Northern Territory.

Weather can change anytime, but April is pretty late for cold conditions along most of the route. When you are actually walking, you will stay warm from the exertion. You will find a lot of pilgrims in shorts even in cold weather. One base layer is likely to be enough, so pick one. Save the weight. :)
Don't I need to have one on and one being washed...probably silly question...?

One other thing to consider about a 1st or 2nd April start this year is that it is Semana Santa (Holy Week). Traditionally the number of pilgrims on the Camino experiences a little peak around Easter. If you can see one of the processions in a town or village along the way you will catch a little of Spain very different from the Northern Territory.
Yes I have only just realised we arrive on EASTER week...wondering if we will get a bed!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
have one on and one being washed
Wash??? ;)

I did not find the need to wash my fleece (synthetic fiber for faster drying), but I would have waited for a day when I did not need to wear it, and washed it that day. You do need a tolerance for dirt on a camino. Hand washing, even with the occasional washing machine, means nothing is really clean. After nearly a week of walking in the rain, I put some wet socks on a radiator in Burgos. A nearby woman asked, "Those don't smell, do they?" I politely replied, "No."

The real response should have been, "everything I own smells."

Holy week coincides with April Fool's Day so beware of someone posting a fish in your back, i.e. Poisson d'Avril.

Wash??? ;)

I did not find the need to wash my fleece (synthetic fiber for faster drying), but I would have waited for a day when I did not need to wear it, and washed it that day. You do need a tolerance for dirt on a camino. Hand washing, even with the occasional washing machine, means nothing is really clean. After nearly a week of walking in the rain, I put some wet socks on a radiator in Burgos. A nearby woman asked, "Those don't smell, do they?" I politely replied, "No."

The real response should have been, "everything I own smells."

I have heard it referred to as " the Pilgrim pong".

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I did the Appalachian Trail in 96' (2,164 mi/3482 km) my daughter picked me up for a few days as she was at VaTech near the AT. The first thing she said when I got into her car was "Dad, you stink! I am not going to bring you to my apt smelling like that!"
So, we went directly to the laundromat and I SUPER washed all my gear...pack included. I looked silly sitting in public with her snuggy boots on and a fluffy Hokie Robe. She meant it...ALL my gear.
Gear now washed, we returned to her apt and some of her roommates were there. I was introduced and they were kinda nice, though a bit withdrawn.
Earlier, my daughter brought a pillow and a blanket out so I could sleep on the couch...where the TV was.
It wasn't long before my daughter said, "Sorry Dad, the others say you still stink. Would you mind sleeping outside on the balcony?"
I think if I could have gotten to the second rerun of "Three's Company" their Olfactory fatigue, also known as odor fatigue or olfactory adaptation, could have set in. This is the temporary, normal inability to distinguish a particular odor after a prolonged exposure to that airborne compound. For example, when entering a restaurant initially the odor of food is often perceived as being very strong, but after time the awareness of the odor normally fades to the point where the smell is not perceptible or is much weaker.
Moral to the story: Prolonged walking can leave you in the pits and out in the cold.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.