• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April Camino del Norte

david marquez

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte-Primitivo April-May 2018
This will be the 5th anniversary of the Camino del Norte/Primitivo/Fistera that I walked starting on April 4th 2018. The real joy of that walk was the long stretches along the bay of Biscay on the del Norte and the solitude and peace of the Camino Primitivo. This time I am hoping to do more of the same, walk along the sea as much as possible, have lots of time for solitary contemplation and communing with nature. Rewalk areas that I really enjoyed, and explore areas I missed: Vilaviciosa to Ovideo, Llanes (where I sprained my ankle) to Ribadeo, and I am especially excited to walk the Ruta del Mar. I am hoping that it will combine the magnificent seaside parts of the Camino del Norte with the Solitude and time for contemplation I experienced on the Camino Primitivo.
I am planning to start about April 1st, probably in Irun, and walk to Vilaciciosa then turn south on the primitivo as far as Lugo. Then travel up to Cudillero and resume the Camino del Norte to Ribadeo and there merge onto the Ruta del Mar and follow that into the Ingles and on to Santiago, then walk to Muxia and Fistera.
last time I spent a total of 42 days including 4 recovery days from a badly spraíned ankle and 2 non walking days searching for size 47 shoes to walk in.
This trip will be considerably longer and I am planning to allow myself a max of 75 days on the trail. I hope to see some of you fellow peregrinos y peregrinas out there
buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This will be the 5th anniversary of the Camino del Norte/Primitivo/Fistera that I walked starting on April 4th 2018. The real joy of that walk was the long stretches along the bay of Biscay on the del Norte and the solitude and peace of the Camino Primitivo. This time I am hoping to do more of the same, walk along the sea as much as possible, have lots of time for solitary contemplation and communing with nature. Rewalk areas that I really enjoyed, and explore areas I missed: Vilaviciosa to Ovideo, Llanes (where I sprained my ankle) to Ribadeo, and I am especially excited to walk the Ruta del Mar. I am hoping that it will combine the magnificent seaside parts of the Camino del Norte with the Solitude and time for contemplation I experienced on the Camino Primitivo.
I am planning to start about April 1st, probably in Irun, and walk to Vilaciciosa then turn south on the primitivo as far as Lugo. Then travel up to Cudillero and resume the Camino del Norte to Ribadeo and there merge onto the Ruta del Mar and follow that into the Ingles and on to Santiago, then walk to Muxia and Fistera.
last time I spent a total of 42 days including 4 recovery days from a badly spraíned ankle and 2 non walking days searching for size 47 shoes to walk in.
This trip will be considerably longer and I am planning to allow myself a max of 75 days on the trail. I hope to see some of you fellow peregrinos y peregrinas out there
buen camino!
I be on the camino at some stage in the new year but will be wild camping and one day a week I book in somewhere to recharge my batteries etc as I hope to do some recording en route .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I be on the camino at some stage in the new year but will be wild camping and one day a week I book in somewhere to recharge my batteries etc as I hope to do some recording en route .
I’d like to know more about the camping in the wild. I would like to be able to spend the occasional night out when the sky is clear.

I’d like to know more about the camping in the wild. I would like to be able to spend the occasional night out when the sky is clear.
Providing you stay away from farmland and stck to the byelaws which is common sense then it should be fine but it does mean carrying a bit more weight but if you got the time then it should not be an issue , earlier in the year someone did the Porto route along the seafront and camped out

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
buen camino!
My gear and I got infested with bedbugs at a hostel in Villaviciosa in 2018.

That sounds like a great route. I'm interested in walking the Norte and Primitivo but was put off by the thought of the latter joining the Francis so soon, which is far too crowded for my taste.
When I walked the Norte I wanted to carry on along the coast to join up with the Ingles but couldn't see a route where this was possible. Is there a sign for the Ruta del Mar somewhere?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
buen camino!
My friend and I are on the Camino del Norte the same time. Starting March 30/31. Our first Camino. Each of us on our own pilgrimage of sorts.... We will keep an eye out for you. Vicki (& Holly).

Unfortunately, due to a combination of medical issues of my own and medical issues of my mother ( we are 73 and 93 respectively), I will be unable to do any caminos this spring. Perhaps later in the year?
its a bummer but its life here and now as it occurs!

So sorry to hear that your Camino took a turn towards facing challenges at home. May your Way still be blessed!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.