• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April/May 2016 Camino - Hotels

SylviaWaterman

Time of past OR future Camino
April / May 2016
I'm walking at the end of April starting from Pamplona and am still perplexed exactly what to bring. My friend and I are trying to wherever possible stay in either private rooms and/or hotels. We just think we will be more comfortable that way and can split the cost of the room.

My question if we go that route do we need to carry a sleeping bag? Will there be private heated lodging available? We aren't dead set against never taking a bus or car to get to where we need to go. We also are open to staying in alberges when that's the best option.

I already own both a down sleeping bag and a silk bed liner. What would you recommend to bring?

Also at this time of the year how cold will it be in the morning? I'm leaning towards a technical t-shirt, lighter fleece zipped jacket and a third layer. I think wearing a warm first layer like wool would be a mistake at this time of the year as I'm assuming the temperatures will be warm mid day.

Any advice on either of these questions?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
If you are planning on booking private lodgings the entire way, you will not need a sleeping bag or towels.
Whether or not the lodging is heated is a tossup - depends on where you stay.
I think the best thing to do is to ask when you book.

There is nobody who can tell you what the weather will be.
Last year, it was snowing when I crossed the Pyrenees in June.
It is more likely to be chilly than hot at the end of April, though you could have some very warm days.
You go through a variety of microclimates... so best to go prepared.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We used private rooms all the way. Never used our sleeping bags so posted them on about half way through. The hotels have a habit of turning the heating off whenever they think they can get away with it, so complain if they do and if it is cold. You will get some very cold nights and cool days leaving in April. A great time to walk, everything is waking up after the winter, the country is green and beautiful, flowers everywhere. Enjoy your Camino, it is the start of a whole new life.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm walking at the end of April starting from Pamplona and am still perplexed exactly what to bring. My friend and I are trying to wherever possible stay in either private rooms and/or hotels. We just think we will be more comfortable that way and can split the cost of the room.

My question if we go that route do we need to carry a sleeping bag? Will there be private heated lodging available? We aren't dead set against never taking a bus or car to get to where we need to go. We also are open to staying in alberges when that's the best option.

I already own both a down sleeping bag and a silk bed liner. What would you recommend to bring?

Also at this time of the year how cold will it be in the morning? I'm leaning towards a technical t-shirt, lighter fleece zipped jacket and a third layer. I think wearing a warm first layer like wool would be a mistake at this time of the year as I'm assuming the temperatures will be warm mid day.

Any advice on either of these questions?
I used hostals too and backpack service . No sleeping bag needed

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back