• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would I be likely to encounter leeches on the CF in April/May?

CrazyDogLady

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2024
Hi all,
Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague proportion where I am (Central Coast NSW, Australia) and I have had two bouts of cellulitis from leech bites in recent months whilst training. Not fun!

If there is a possibility of leeches it will change my packing list.

A big thanks to everyone that contributes to the forum, it's been extremely valuable for a newbie solo traveller.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure when you’d be walking through that kind of water on the CF (or any Camino, really!). The CF crosses mountain passes, vineyards, high plains, and more, but unless these leeches can exist outside of standing water, you have no need to worry.

… I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague proportion where I am (Central Coast NSW, Australia) and I have had two bouts of cellulitis from leech bites in recent months whilst training. Not fun!
Hi there - sorry for your leech troubles. As others have said, no need for concern about leeches - thank goodness - I have a sort of phobia about them. Notice you are from the Central Coast. We are in France at present but, in Australia, home is Pretty Beach on the Central Coast.

Buen camino. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of leech incidents, I am afraid. The only potential pesk would be ticks in areas where bush is thick, but the CF is perfectly manicured and you will not find none of that. You do not have to cross large bodies of water whatsoever, only a few rivers, and leeches do not grow in moving waters, at least not European ones.
No worries about leeches!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,
Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague proportion where I am (Central Coast NSW, Australia) and I have had two bouts of cellulitis from leech bites in recent months whilst training. Not fun!

A big thanks to everyone that contributes to the forum, it's been extremely valuable for a newbie solo traveller.
Been walking the Camino since 2008...various routes...never encountered leeches...dogs now and then...wind..rain... burning sun....getting lost....hills that never seem to go downwards...but no leeches, of course, bed bugs can be a feature but for me, rarely..so if you are sensitive to bites you should carry some bed bug protection and detection...Buen Camino...!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've never come across any myself, on any of the Camino routes I have done, at any time of the year.
I've done 4 Caminos, in Spring and in Autumn, in Spain, Portugal and France.
In short, I don't think you need to worry!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Fortunately Spain isn't like Australia where various spiders and poisonous snakes are prevalent in certain areas. Your only potential issue could possibly be bed bugs which for me personally haven't been an issue for me on my seven walks.

Not sure when you’d be walking through that kind of water on the CF (or any Camino, really!). The CF crosses mountain passes, vineyards, high plains, and more, but unless these leeches can exist outside of standing water, you have no need to worry.
I'm guessing due to their comment about their packing list, they are contemplating doing some swimming and therefore in said water. :D I plan on getting in water as often as I can since I will be doing the Frances in July/Aug whether it is soaking my feet or doing a full dunk and swim. So I was also wondering as well about leeches.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, this thread is a first to my knowledge. I have no knowledge of leeches a part from lakes in northern Minnesota and Canada. While staying in a cabin on vacation when my son was about seven years old we went for a swim. When he stepped out of the water he looked down and saw about five on his skin. He yelled out happily..."Look Mom, they like me"!😃 When he discovered they were all stuck on him he freaked out.😅

In Australia where @CrazyDogLady comes from, you don't have to be in or crossing a body of water to attract a leech. While most live in water, some live on land. At certain times of the year, they are prevalent in rain forests, and in any sort of bush area after periods of rain. There has been a lot of rain in recent months where the OP lives. We have lots of crawly things in Australia - but I am far more irked by the thought of a leech, than a spider or snake (most of which are harmless). This thread has brought back vivid memories of school excursions, walking through a rainforest or bush where it seemed like half of the class ended up with at least a few leeches. I always dreaded those excursions - and I wasn't the only one.

All the best @CrazyDogLady ... thankfully you will be safe from the leeches, at least until you get home. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As far as I know,there is only one 'land based' leech in the whole of Europe, it's extremely rare ( one of the rarest creatures in the world), and only found in I think Austria.
Here in Germany I have seen a leech in the water ( my local swimming Lake) it had zero interest in me to my surprise (and of course delight!).
In Spain they have leeches on the Iberian Peninsula but they are only interested in a specific turtle I believe.

While most live in water, some live on land.
Are you kidding? I can add yet another reason for me to not visit Australia. Especially after my friend from Melbourne telling me of snakes INSIDE his home. Now land leeches. No thank you. I'm too much of a scaredy cat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there - sorry for your leech troubles. As others have said, no need for concern about leeches - thank goodness - I have a sort of phobia about them. Notice you are from the Central Coast. We are in France at present but, in Australia, home is Pretty Beach on the Central Coast.

Buen camino. 😎
Thank you @Pelerina , its a big relief to know I have one less thing to worry about. I think I'm on my way to developing a phobia as well so nice to know I'm not the only one.

Im in Umina Beach, so just a few beaches over.

I'm guessing due to their comment about their packing list, they are contemplating doing some swimming and therefore in said water. :D I plan on getting in water as often as I can since I will be doing the Frances in July/Aug whether it is soaking my feet or doing a full dunk and swim. So I was also wondering as well about leeches.
Hi @TheRealPixie it is a land based leech I was referring to which you can find in damp leaf litter and humid environments. You can buy 'leech gaters' and I think those combined with extra waterproof socks would be added to the packing list of they existed in Spain. Very pleased to hear they are not a problem.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of the many things I love about the camino Frances is no leeches! :) Stops me hiking in rainforests and other areas in the wet here in Oz. A phobia of leeches is Bdellophobia. Hopefully it’s not a false sense of security as many forum posts made me think snakes were not an issue in Spain either however I am now alert to adders in some areas in Spain - I had one jump out of a wheat field in spring time near Los Arcos and recall seeing a dead adder on a path coming out of Burgos and warning signs on the alternative route coming into Burgos. Not deadly but still dangerous it seems.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not deadly but still dangerous it seems.
Bites from any of the three closely-related viper species in Spain could certainly spoil your day or if you are unlucky several days. In the very unlikely event of a bite you should seek medical attention immediately. But they are nowhere near as toxic as many of the Australian species and long term damage is most unlikely if you receive medical treatment.

But they are nowhere near as toxic as many of the Australian species
Yes, @CrazyDogLady , not only do you not need to worry about land leeches, neither do you need to worry about the multitude of deadly snakes and poisonous spiders you have at home. In addition to which you can safely swim with not only minimal - if any - risk from leeches, but saltwater crocodiles, great white sharks, and deadly jellyfish !
I'm not exactly sure how many toxic species you have to deal with in your lives - 60? (Let alone the number of those that are in the world's 'deadliest top 10') but in Spain you'll be safe from all of them!

Oh, with the exception of a couple of scorpions and the black widow spider apparently. Although even those are apparently tame ( less venomous) in comparison to their northern counterparts.

I remember my first trip from New Zealand to Aus, coming from a land with zero deadly creatures to a land with so many was to say the least an eye opener !

In Australia where @CrazyDogLady comes from, you don't have to be in or crossing a body of water to attract a leech. While most live in water, some live on land. At certain times of the year, they are prevalent in rain forests, and in any sort of bush area after periods of rain. There has been a lot of rain in recent months where the OP lives. We have lots of crawly things in Australia - but I am far more irked by the thought of a leech, than a spider or snake (most of which are harmless). This thread has brought back vivid memories of school excursions, walking through a rainforest or bush where it seemed like half of the class ended up with at least a few leeches. I always dreaded those excursions - and I wasn't the only one.

All the best @CrazyDogLady ... thankfully you will be safe from the leeches, at least until you get home. 😎
Was going to say the same thing - I encountered many leeches while hiking in Southeast Asia.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

You will get blisters and have sore feet ,
You should have a head ache at least once or twice when celebrating in Muxia.
You will get cold , sweaty and maybe get too much sun if walking too far on some days.
You will encounter snooring and flatulence , but mate
Relax ,
You will not come across leeches .............animal form that is.
Have a great Camino.

Never heard of leech incidents, I am afraid. The only potential pesk would be ticks in areas where bush is thick, but the CF is perfectly manicured and you will not find none of that. You do not have to cross large bodies of water whatsoever, only a few rivers, and leeches do not grow in moving waters, at least not European ones.
No worries about leeches!
"Perfectly manicured"?? I hope not. I'm heading back to CF in Sept. Walked part of 15 years ago, and didn't consider it 'manicured' I'm hoping it hasn't changed that much in 15 years, but I know 'everything changes' ... Bueno Camino..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back