• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Armenteira Monastery no longer takes reservations for pilgrims

rainswift

Time of past OR future Camino
Jun 2024 - Portuguese Litoral + VE + Finisterre
I had written earlier in September to the Monastery to inquire about reserving a room for next year in June as I walk the Variante Espiritual. At the time, one of the sisters wrote back that they would take reservations beginning Oct 23 2023. However, they have since updated their website to indicate that they no longer take reservations for pilgrims. So please be aware that if you are walking the Variante and wish to stay at Armenteira Monastery, you cannot reserve a room. You must show up and let the Camino take you as it will.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We stayed at the monastery Oct 9th. We contacted them before we left and they said they were full but would put us on a waiting list. They then contacted us when we were on Camino and said they’d had a cancellation, would we like the room? My walking partner is fluent in Spanish so maybe that helped? It was wonderful but I can understand if they don’t want to deal with pilgrims. There was some rude behaviour at vespers.

I wonder if this is the last year that they are taking reservations for pilgrims. It's a shame that pilgrims were rude at vespers and have possibly made staying at the monastery more difficult for all future pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wonder if this is the last year that they are taking reservations for pilgrims. It's a shame that pilgrims were rude at vespers and have possibly made staying at the monastery more difficult for all future pilgrims.
We stayed there for two nights in June 2022 and definitely noticed tension between the nuns and pilgrims. The main issue is noise. The nuns follow vows of silence and reflection but some pilgrims, particularly those arriving in groups, tend to treat the place like a hotel, which ruins the monastic atmosphere. Misbehaving at Vespers, where you receive the Pilgrim's Blessing, is beyond belief!

We stayed there for two nights in June 2022 and definitely noticed tension between the nuns and pilgrims. The main issue is noise. The nuns follow vows of silence and reflection but some pilgrims, particularly those arriving in groups, tend to treat the place like a hotel, which ruins the monastic atmosphere. Misbehaving at Vespers, where you receive the Pilgrim's Blessing, is beyond belief!
That's so unfortunate. I'm not religious but this is just basic courtesy, to be respectful and grateful. It's not spring break!

It was people getting up and leaving and coming in during the service. I’m not religious so I don’t have a lot of experience in church but it was very distracting and I thought disrespectful. The pilgrims that were staying in the monastery were all very respectful. The nuns were very friendly and kind.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How interesting that the only albergue there just STARTED taking reservations while the only other pilgrim accommodation (monastery) is just stopping. 🤔.

How interesting that the only albergue there just STARTED taking reservations while the only other pilgrim accommodation (monastery) is just stopping. 🤔.
When we walked in 2022, the albergue did take our reservation and held places for the two of us. The only way we found to do this was via text, but it worked.

Well everyone is walking their own camino I guess and being rude to nuns is here to stay. As long as the spiritual foundation of the camino is ignored we can expect more and more of this behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can I just clarify that the convent has stopped taking reservations? They haven’t stopped taking pilgrims, is that correct?

Can I just clarify that the convent has stopped taking reservations? They haven’t stopped taking pilgrims, is that correct?
Yes.
According to their website, they don't take reservations from pilgrims.
If a pilgrim wants to stay at the monastery, they need to ask when they arrive there. If a room is available, the pilgrim will be allowed to stay.

@JCLima is correct. I wrote to the sister with whom I had previously communicated and confirmed, they will still take pilgrims on a first-come first-served basis, if there is a room available on that day. Check in will be done in the morning, from 1:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. or in the afternoon, from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. There will also still be a pilgrim's blessing.

I also apologized on behalf of rude pilgrims in the past.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
, they will still take pilgrims on a first-come first-served basis, if there is a room available on that day.
This is wonderful news - an albergue deciding to go back to the older way of receiving pilgrims, rather than catering to those who feel they must book everything ahead. There are fewer and fewer places that don't take bookings, making busy caminos even harder for those who want to exploe what it is to let go of trying to control things and see what happens.

I can see the upsides to both planning and spontaneity. As a chronic overplanner, I would have preferred reserving, but am of course willing to let the Camino work its magic.

This is wonderful news - an albergue deciding to go back to the older way of receiving pilgrims, rather than catering to those who feel they must book everything ahead. There are fewer and fewer places that don't take bookings, making busy caminos even harder for those who want to exploe what it is to let go of trying to control things and see what happens.
Amen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is first come first served, just like showing up at a municipal. I confirmed this with Sister Paula yesterday (Dec. 10th 2023). It was very stressful for the sisters to deal with the booking process. So hopefully by accepting pilgrims as they have room will lighten their load. I have stayed twice at the Monastery and was inquiring about making reservations for 2024. Sister Paula did send me a nice long list of accommodations nearby.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back