• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrive in Madrid 5/28/18 to start Camino Frances

DC Jeauxd

GoJoJo
Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to start Camino Frances End of May (2018)
So excited and nervous about my first Camino! Just purchased my tickets to Madrid...that made it so real! Gulp! Have been reading and making mental preparations for months! It can sometimes become information over load!. Development of analysis paralysis! I, of course, can make it to Madrid easy enough. (so happy no lay-overs from DC!) The first item on my 'nervousness list' is figuring out the easiest way to leave the airport and get to St Jean. While at the airport I do plan to mail a suitcase to Ivar (read that recommendation on this forum...happy to have that service option!) prior to heading out (assuming I can find the post office!). Any recommendations or help will be most appreciated! Thank you all!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi DC, as an overview, we went from Madrid Airport to the train station to Pamplona, then bus to Roncevalles, cab to SJPP.

We purchased our Renfe tickets departing the Atocha Train Station in downtown Madrid prior to leaving the States. Super easy to do on the internets, then print your ticket. That train ticket included the portion from the Madrid-Barajas to the Atocha Train station. That train leaves from a lower level of the Madrid-Barajas airport, go down the stairs after leaving the secured area. There's also ATM machines here to stock up on Euros. The high-speed train to Pamplona was great. Once in Pamplona you have to make your way to the bus station on the hill, about a mile or two from the train station. Purchase bus ticket, wait for departure, arrive Roncevalles, cab it to SJPP. You can often share a cab.

That's one way to make it happen.

Buen Camino Perigrina!!

Welcome to the forum @DC Jeauxd and Buen Camino. Yes, that feeling when you have purchased the tickets - a combination of excitement and anxiety! Even after 11 caminos I still get that. Every camino involves taking a step into the unknown, outside our comfort zones.

The post office at the airport is in T1. It is only open weekdays from 8:30 to 14:30 and on Saturdays from 9:30 to 13:00. Which may not suit your arrival time. If you do not arrive at T1 (I never have) then you will have to factor in the time to travel between terminals.

From Madrid you don't need to leave the airport to get to St Jean, depending on what time your flight arrives. PLM Autocares and ALSA operate buses to Pamplona from Barajas Airport T4. PLM Autocares is direct, with ALSA you change buses at Soria. At Pamplona you change buses for the bus to St Jean, which is seasonal.

For a comprehensive list of ways to get to St Jean from Madrid, including all the alternatives, see this thread.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi DC, as an overview, we went from Madrid Airport to the train station to Pamplona, then bus to Roncevalles, cab to SJPP.

We purchased our Renfe tickets departing the Atocha Train Station in downtown Madrid prior to leaving the States. Super easy to do on the internets, then print your ticket. That train ticket included the portion from the Madrid-Barajas to the Atocha Train station. That train leaves from a lower level of the Madrid-Barajas airport, go down the stairs after leaving the secured area. There's also ATM machines here to stock up on Euros. The high-speed train to Pamplona was great. Once in Pamplona you have to make your way to the bus station on the hill, about a mile or two from the train station. Purchase bus ticket, wait for departure, arrive Roncevalles, cab it to SJPP. You can often share a cab.

Buen Camino Perigrina!![

Buen Camino Perigrina!!
This is great info...thank you!!

Welcome to the forum @DC Jeauxd and Buen Camino. Yes, that feeling when you have purchased the tickets - a combination of excitement and anxiety! Even after 11 caminos I still get that. Every camino involves taking a step into the unknown, outside our comfort zones.

The post office at the airport is in T1. It is only open weekdays from 8:30 to 14:30 and on Saturdays from 9:30 to 13:00. Which may not suit your arrival time. If you do not arrive at T1 (I never have) then you will have to factor in the time to travel between terminals.

From Madrid you don't need to leave the airport to get to St Jean, depending on what time your flight arrives. PLM Autocares and ALSA operate buses to Pamplona from Barajas Airport T4. PLM Autocares is direct, with ALSA you change buses at Soria. At Pamplona you change buses for the bus to St Jean, which is seasonal.

For a comprehensive list of ways to get to St Jean from Madrid, including all the alternatives, see this thread.
I arrive in Madrid around 8:00am...that's perfect! I'll make the post office hours! Thank you for the info and for attaching the link! This forum has been great! Now to study all my options! Thank you!

We took the ALSA bus from T4 to Pamplona, booked the tickets online before we left the States, but you can buy them when you arrive. No problem in Soria. Get off one bus, use the restroom, get on the next (well-marked) bus, off to Roncesvalles. Piece of cake. So if the ALSA timing is good, don't fret about the connection.

The service we used from Pamplona to SJPP is no longer available, but others have already given you great options.

We met fellow pilgrims right at the bus stop in Madrid-Barajas. The Camino is off and running before you leave the airport. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We took the ALSA bus from T4 to Pamplona, booked the tickets online before we left the States, but you can buy them when you arrive. No problem in Soria. Get off one bus, use the restroom, get on the next (well-marked) bus, off to Roncesvalles. Piece of cake. So if the ALSA timing is good, don't fret about the connection.

The service we used from Pamplona to SJPP is no longer available, but others have already given you great options.

We met fellow pilgrims right at the bus stop in Madrid-Barajas. The Camino is off and running before you leave the airport. Buen Camino!
Thank you for the advise and the calming 'don't fret' words! My middle name is worry/fret! I do feel that I have options! Thank you!

I have a question that some of you might have an answer for. I arrive at Madrid Barajas, Terminal 4, on American Airlines this Wednesday morning. My Camino starts at Ponferrada, and I already have a ticket for the ALSA bus that departs from Terminal 4 at Barajas.

Here is the question: Where in front of the exit from the Customs hall at Terminal 4 is the ALSA bus to be found?

My plane is scheduled to land at 08:20, and the bus departure is at 10:00. So, there is no time to waste. I would like to know where to go directly from baggage claim and the Customs exit.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back