• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Madrid Oct2009,

gypsyjennifer

This will be my first experience on a pilgrimage and I have limited time (9days of walking). From Madrid I would like to know where is the prettiest areas to walk for 9 days, not too high elevation as I am aging and approx 15=20 klms per day. I don't need to arrive in Santiago de Compostela in the first year. Important on this first walk is that I enjoy the surroundings, nature, villages, history. It is my first experience to do any long walks. There are so many routes to join up with. I read the last 100 klms to Santiago de Compostela is the busiest and most popular, but before traveling all the way to join this last 100 klms, I would like to know if there are other stretches on any routes closer to Madrid that would be beautiful. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the start of a pilgrimage, not the end of it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
gypsyjennifer said:
This will be my first experience on a pilgrimage and I have limited time (9days of walking). From Madrid I would like to know where is the prettiest areas to walk for 9 days, not too high elevation as I am aging and approx 15=20 klms per day. I don't need to arrive in Santiago de Compostela in the first year. Important on this first walk is that I enjoy the surroundings, nature, villages, history. It is my first experience to do any long walks. There are so many routes to join up with. I read the last 100 klms to Santiago de Compostela is the busiest and most popular, but before traveling all the way to join this last 100 klms, I would like to know if there are other stretches on any routes closer to Madrid that would be beautiful. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the start of a pilgrimage, not the end of it.

Well, you have many options.

1) To begin from the beginning. St. Jean, until you are able to walk in this 9 days. May be Logroño, Santo Domingo, Burgos. It depends on you.

2) To begin in Madrid, may be to Simancas. Absolutely lonely, but no problem about!

3) To arrive in Santiago you can begin in Villafranca del Bierzo.

4) Or you can begin in Portugal, why not in Barcelos?

5) Camino del Norte, or from Irun to ... ÂżBilbao? or from Ribadeo to Santiago.

Or ... Many, many other different options.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back