• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arthritis

s. brown

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy 2015
To my complete dismay, I was diagnosed yesterday with arthritis in one knee. The pain came on very suddenly and has been acute enough that I have been unable to work this week. I stand and walk a lot in my job. I am rather unfamiliar with arthritis. I was given oral medication and physical therapy by the orthopedist.

I am very worried that this might mean no future camino for me. It makes me want to cry. Are there forum members out there who have osteoarthritis in their knees and still manage to walk the camino? If so, how?

I was so distressed in the doctor's office I failed to ask him about this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Maybe use walking poles to help ease the weight off your knees, plan on a slower, more gentle Camino, and carry some Ibuprofen for the bad days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking poles, knee braces that warm the joint, walk gently, cider vinegar and honey diluted in warm water and (it works for me) daily sea bathing the colder the better…...

To my complete dismay, I was diagnosed yesterday with arthritis in one knee. The pain came on very suddenly and has been acute enough that I have been unable to work this week. I stand and walk a lot in my job. I am rather unfamiliar with arthritis. I was given oral medication and physical therapy by the orthopedist.

I am very worried that this might mean no future camino for me. It makes me want to cry. Are there forum members out there who have osteoarthritis in their knees and still manage to walk the camino? If so, how?

Please don't worry unnecessarily.

There are lots of creaking knees, hips, ankles, jaws, toes, fingers and every other kind of joint out there, and lots of them have managed a camino or two or three, so please don't despair!

Go back to your Doctor and discuss your worries with her/him, and ask what will this mean for you in terms of walking. Unless you have a specific cartilage problem
or wearing of the knee joint which may require surgery, don't worry until you have to, ie. have that conversation with your Doc.

I live in a damp wet climate which affects my creakiness greatly, but when I step off the plane in Spain or Portugal, I tend to leave most of the pain behind.

There are lots of supplements you can take which some people find helpful: Fish oils, Udo's oil, & Glucosamine supplements to name a few.

Wishing you well & buen camino,

there is plenty of meds, not narcotics, that can make the difference,what ever you do do not stop moving. Please call you Dr and let him know you worries, Sorry:(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife gave me one of these, it is like magic. Best Christmas gift I ever got. They work at relieving the pain.

She got it at Walgreens, but this link it to Amazon. Exact same model I use => http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWLQ3R4/?tag=casaivar02-20

I also have Leki anti-shock walking poles.

I also have a knee brace that works wonders, only use it when I need it.

Aleve works better for me than Ibuprophen.

Don't you hate how your body fights your ambitions? God, I am so tired of worrying about my old body not being in harmony with my totally illogical young mind and attitude. In reality my mind and attitude need a vessel to travel in....cruel trick.

My body, my legs will only allow me to do what they allow.

I have learned limits.

Last edited:

So sorry about your recent diagnosis. It can be pretty scary when an essential body part decides to betray you shortly before you need it for a major project. I have not yet walked a camino, I am planning the Frances for this autumn. But I have been backpacking in the mountains in Canada and elsewhere for more than forty years. In the last five years or so, I have done so with osteoarthritis, bad in my left knee, less severe in my right knee, and giving occasional twinges elsewhere. In 2014, I was on the trail for more than a month, both in Banff Park in Alberta, where I live, and in the mountains of the North and South Islands in New Zealand. Over time, I have learned what works to keep my knees functioning. For a major excursion, ask your doctor for a prescription for a buffered form of joint medication, which will not wreck your stomach. I currently use Vimovo, which is a buffered form of Naproxen. Aleve is is a common brand name for regular Naproxen. It is very hard on my stomach, so I try not to take it long-term. Keep up your physio exercises. Consider some kind of support for your bad knee. I use an elastic knee support. Don't be afraid to use this before you feel the need of it. I tried to put mine on my bad knee when it was bothering me after a steep climb through a pass in rainy weather. My knee was so swollen that I could not wear it. The rest of that hike was challenging.
I find that cold, damp weather is hard on my knees, so you might plan to have clothing with you on the camino that can keep your knees cosy in chilly weather. You will have several advantages on the camino that are not found in backpacking - you can walk your own distance and speed, there is easy access to pharmacies and medical care when needed and you will be carrying half the weight of a backpacker. Use some sort of walking support to help take some weight off the knees. Work with your doctor and physiotherapist to get the best mobility that you can. You will not be the only walker with arthritis on the camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Do not worry. Osteoarthritis does not have to stop you. I have walked all my caminos with it in one knee. As long as I wear a knee brace religiously, I am fine. I will have a little swelling but no pain or limping at the end of a day. I once tested my need for the brace by walking a few hours without it and had to take three days off until the swelling went down. This year I plan to also walk with poles in the hope that it will take even more pressure off my knee. I would suggest that you ask your physiotherapist about using knee braces and poles and if he or shee agrees, test it out before your trip. I hope it works out well for you.

ER RN here... Live while your alive...walk while you still can ! Treat your symptoms, rest when your body tells you too, where a knee brace, take anti-inflammatories (WITH FOOD PLEASE), keep your back light light light, and walk your own pace. :) Buen Camino

Thanks everyone! My pain was so severe I had to be driven from my place of employment to my car in order to drive home. I couldn't take more than a few steps. All I kept thinking was what would I do if I were on the camino and the next town was far off!? I am exercising, wearing a brace, using ice, and taking a prescription to reduce inflammation. As long as I have that brace on I am showing improvement. I will follow all of the above advice including the TENS apparatus and discuss all with my doctor. I only wish I could follow the sea bathing cure, but, alas, I am nowhere near the sea. Thanks again. The leg brace will be on my packing list whether my knee feels like it needs it or not.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back