• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ask a local for directions?

alansykes

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Except the Francés
It doesn't just apply to the camino, but locals everywhere can be the least reliable guides.

I got a perfect example of this today in Colmenar Viejo when l asked somebody in town the way to the railway station to get back to Tres Cantos. He waved enthustiacally to the south, and told me I needed to walk "todo recho" for "cinco minutos, máximo". 30 minutes later I limped into the station, having been past 2 roundabouts, a crossroads and a fork. I'm sure he usually did it in 5 mins (in his car) and as he knows exactly the route, it is todo recho for him.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It doesn't just apply to the camino, but locals everywhere can be the least reliable guides.

I got a perfect example of this today in Colmenar Viejo when l asked somebody in town the way to the railway station to get back to Tres Cantos. He waved enthustiacally to the south, and told me I needed to walk "todo recho" for "cinco minutos, máximo". 30 minutes later I limped into the station, having been past 2 roundabouts, a crossroads and a fork. I'm sure he usually did it in 5 mins (in his car) and as he knows exactly the route, it is todo recho for him.

Hi Alan I hope today was better! Additional unexpected kilometres are the worst. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Alan,

So, why are you going backwards, anyway? :) Let us know if you slept in the 3 Cantos albergue. I hope your Camino is off to a good start, in spite of this.

I'll just echo your caution about not getting too caught up in this "ask the locals" mindset. Obviously, in some places it's essential to rely on people who know what they are talking about, like the pilgrims office in SJPP, which has up to date weather information on the crossing to Roncesvalles. But in many instances, I have met peregrinos who followed the locals' advice (which is usually to stay on the side of the highway and avoid the Camino) and as a result missed some beautiful, perfectly passable parts of the Camino.

This happens frequently on the Primitivo (where the owner of the bar in Paradavella seems to always tell pilgrims to avoid the Camino if there's been a drop of rain in the past day or so, and if you do that you miss a WONDERFUL walk); or on the Sanabres (where locals may tell you to avoid the path up to Albergaria if it's been raining, when in actuality that path is almost entirely a wide logging road, not a green tunnel with torrents of rain channeled down and much safer than staying on the highway), etc. It also happened to me just last summer on the Levante, leaving Medina del Campo when a well-intentioned "local" told us to stay on the road just because the camino would take us off into the fields and we would get lost. We ignored his advice and had a LOVELY walk. IMG_0765.JPG

So in many, if not most instances, my experience is that the locals are generally totally unfamiliar with the Camino and have never walked a step of it. They will almost always tell you that the best way to get from Point A to Point B is to stay on the side of the road because it's a shorter distance and a hard surface. My advice is to give the camino a try -- you can always backtrack if need be, but you can be sure that the off-road option is going to be prettier, more peaceful, and much easier on your feet.

Sorry to get off point here, but since you'll be in Arevalo, maybe you'll hit this section of the Levante. Buen camino, Laurie

I was heading back to the albergue in Tres Cantos, which was a disaster as by the time I got to the Policia Local at c5pm the nice young cop told me that somebody would probabilmente turn up at 10.30-11pm to let me in (I think Sunday is not the best day to try for thr albergue in TC). The thought of hanging around for 5 hours+ in sub zero unlovely Tres Cantos didn't appeal so I just checked into a characterless (but warm) hotel and took the bus back CV the next day (where I was AGAIN misdirected, this time by somebody who was clearly determined I should take the carreterra to Manzanares, not the camino). And I'll certainly make sure I take the proper camino from MdC on, Saturday, I think it should be - thanks for the warning. Although if I find myself on the Sur Este instead I suppose it won't be too bad.

Very good advice! When lost somewhere on the way to Fisterra I asked locals walking their dog for the camino and they directed me to the main road 'Todo recto' ? I knew after 5 min it couldn't be as I was taking my life in my hands - one of those fast Spanish roads with safety barriers where no pilgrim can get through - so I went back.... Well what do you know? The 'camino' was the narrow path where they walked their dog everyday and they had no idea ! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.