Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga to Santiago (flying from Germany!?) October 2013

HermanTheGerman

Feb 11, 2013
Hilders, Germany
hermannsdorfer.wordpress.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '13, '14; Portuguese '13, '14, '17, '18; del Salvador '15; Primitivo '15; Mozarabe '16
Hija,

There appears to be a lot of information here, but not exactly what I need...

As the title of this post says, I want to pick up the Camino Frances in Astorga and finish in Santiago de Compostela... ok doesn't sound too complicated so far. OK, here comes the tricky part... I want to either fly from Nürnberg, Erfurt, Paderborn or Frankfurt and return to the same place to pick up the car upon returning, all for a reasonable price.

I'm thinking Ryan Air, Easy Jet or the Lufthansa group (which offers one way tickets for 5 times the price of a return strangely enough). So far it appears to be a logistical nightmare! The only reasonable solution I've found so far is with Ryan Air, but managing to obtain all tickets when I need them doesn't seem to be very promising...

Frankfurt Hahn -> London Stanstead -> Valladolid -> (bus) Astorga

Santiago de Compostela -> (bus) Porto -> Frankfurt Hahn

Has anyone done this before? If so, any helpful info would be appreciated!

Flying to Madrid would also be possible, but the 600km bus ride back to Madrid doesn't sound all that appealing.

Many thanks in advance.

Miles

P.S and if anyone can offer realistic temperature highs and lows for October in Celsius, that would be great... I read somewhere on a weather site, from 8°C overnight to 18° C during the day... shorts weather?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

nreyn12

Jan 17, 2009
Spain & San Francisco Bay Area
www.thecaminoexperience.com
Walked (2005) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) (2012) (2013) (2014) (2015); Guide 2013-2016
HermanTheGerman said:
Santiago de Compostela -> (bus) Porto -> Frankfurt Hahn
Are you planning on a holiday in Porto before returning to Germany? Because Ryanair flies from Santiago to Frankfurt Hahn, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday every week...

They also fly from Frankfurt Hahn to Santander, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Then bus to Leon, maybe overnight there, then bus to Astorga in the morning and start walking? http://www.movelia.es/es/

HermanTheGerman

Feb 11, 2013
Hilders, Germany
Frances '13, '14; Portuguese '13, '14, '17, '18; del Salvador '15; Primitivo '15; Mozarabe '16
Thanks for the reply. There's now been a slight change of plan... We're going to start from st jean PDP and do the first half, leaving in late may... Just hope its not too late to avoid the crowds. The plan is then to return where we left off and resume the Camino in October. Air France flies from Frankfurt to Biarritz via Paris for a very reasonable price. Problem solved!

HermanTheGerman

Feb 11, 2013
Hilders, Germany
Thanks for the reply. There's now been a slight change of plan... We're going to start from st jean PDP and do the first half, leaving in late may... Just hope its not too late to avoid the crowds. The plan is then to return where we left off and resume the Camino in October. Air France flies from Frankfurt to Biarritz via Paris for a very reasonable price. Problem solved!:p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides