• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying from the US

amgrem

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Route, Oct 2024
curious about booking our flights for October 2024 of this year. When pricing out through Google for New Orleans to Santiago it gives us an option to book through American Airlines or Iberia. Iberia is a couple hundred more. Other than seat selection for the longer flight is there another reason you’d book through Iberia over American? Wondering if there is something I’m missing. TIA!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
curious about booking our flights for October 2024 of this year. When pricing out through Google for New Orleans to Santiago it gives us an option to book through American Airlines or Iberia. Iberia is a couple hundred more. Other than seat selection for the longer flight is there another reason you’d book through Iberia over American? Wondering if there is something I’m missing. TIA!
Is it the same flight with a code share between the two airlines? If so, I would book American since it's less expensive and you get free seat selection.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
American and Iberia are partners. All American flights also have an Iberia flight number. And the same is true for all Iberia flights. I would go to the American website and price the flights from there. The American website will also list all Iberia flights, but will show the American flight number. Then beneath that it will say “operated by Iberia”. I would always book directly with the airline, rather than through a third-party, because you will be treated better in case of any problems in the journey.

One potential annoyance. If you book what turns out to be an Iberia flight through the American website, you will not be able to select your seat in advance (and this is true whether you go economy or business).

American and Iberia are partners. All American flights also have an Iberia flight number. And the same is true for all Iberia flights. I would go to the American website and price the flights from there. The American website will also list all Iberia flights, but will show the American flight number. Then beneath that it will say “operated by Iberia”. I would always book directly with the airline, rather than through a third-party, because you will be treated better in case of any problems in the journey.

One potential annoyance. If you book what turns out to be an Iberia flight through the American website, you will not be able to select your seat in advance (and this is true whether you go economy or business).
This is through the airline site. I’m okay doing the 2 hour flight with whatever seat but rather make sure I do a better class/bigger seats for the longer flight which is through Iberia.

Yes, you are right. I wasn't thinking about the code share flight being on an Iberia plane.

It could be possible though to get advanced seat selection - possibly for a fee. When I flew on a code share a few years ago on Aer Lingus (booked through United) I was able to get my PNR (Passenger Name Record) for Aer Lingus so that I could call them and book my preferred seat type. I'm not saying that it's always possible, but it's worth a try.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would always book directly with the airline, rather than through a third-party, because you will be treated better in case of any problems in the journey.

Book locally is a good idea.

We had an issue in December with an Iberia journey where their first leg was over 2 hours late meaning we missed the second leg. flight. Two tickets but same airline.

They refused to reimburse even though it was their delay that caused the missed We've had to use a third-party complaints system to get some sort of resolution as making a claim in Spain from outside Spain is problematic.

The object of the airline business is to fill all seats in the plane because that is the only time the flight is profitable.

I suspect American and Iberia both have sales quotas on the same flight. Each have made different progress on their quota, requiring different discount strategies.

Book the flight directly through either Iberia or American, whichever is cheapest. Be sure read the small print on terms and conditions for each airline.

-Paul

We had an issue in December with an Iberia journey where their first leg was over 2 hours late meaning we missed the second leg. flight. Two tickets but same airline.

They refused to reimburse even though it was their delay that caused the missed We've had to use a third-party complaints system to get some sort of resolution as making a claim in Spain from outside Spain is problematic
The airline did nothing wrong. By purchasing separate tickets you chose not to buy a "protected" connection. You assumed this risk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is it the same flight with a code share between the two airlines? If so, I would book American since it's less expensive and you get free seat selection.
The irony is that AA may show you a route actually operated by Iberia. The pricing can still be different. Consider everything before buying.

For me the routing and actual number of plane changes makes a BIG difference in what I am prepared to pay. Less connections are better.

Hope this helps.

Tom

This is through the airline site. I’m okay doing the 2 hour flight with whatever seat but rather make sure I do a better class/bigger seats for the longer flight which is through Iberia
I always fly Iberia/American/BA to Spain since American is the only airline that flies into my town. I have also found that business class tickets on Iberia (booked through the American website) are frequently cheaper, and sometimes much cheaper on Iberia than on American. American doesn’t fly out of Chicago to Madrid, only Iberia does. So my flights to Spain on American will originate in Philadelphia, Charlotte, Boston, JFK, even Dallas. That makes for three flights, but I’m used to that and it doesn’t bother me like it does some people. If you’re in business class, the seat selection problem is not really a problem, because those seats are all identical, though you may get a window when you want an interior seat and vice versa.

Out of curiosity, what is the itinerary you’re considering from New Orleans?

Have you checked the Iberia website too? Are the prices for the Iberia flight about the same on both websites? I never check the Iberia website, but it occurs to me that you might see some differences, though I don’t know.

Here’s my low-cost Camino flying trick from US. Fly from your US city to Dublin. (These flights are inexpensive - $600.) You can stay in Dublin for a day (or 2 just for fun) and then use Ryanair and fly over to Biarritz France (the flight cost me $75). Then use Express Bourricot taxi share service which will take you directly into St. Jean Pied de Port ($20). Iberia has flights from Santiago de Compostela back to Dublin. Note: a lot of Irish walk the Camino that’s why Ryanair has flights into the area. When you fly over from Dublin, you will be on the flight with a number of people starting the Camino.Dublin has hotels near the airport and free bus rides to the hotel. I used point for a free ihg property. There are also inexpensive hostels in downtown Dublin.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We saw a similar price difference for our September 2024 flights. From LAX to Madrid (we start walking in Leon) on the same plane, British Airways was cheaper than Iberia. Once it was booked through BA with our confirmation number, we found that to select seats we need a different IBERIA confirmation number. Just something to keep if mind if you want to select your seats...

I agree with @trecile , I believe it's the same flight with code share. If you look at the times and airports, it's identical. I generally book through American and the airline is Iberia. When our flights were cancelled, it was good to work with AA in English to get new flights. I do enjoy flying Iberia and actually like the airport in Madrid before going on to whatever destination you are headed towards to begin your camino.

Yes, whichever airlines you decide on, for ANY trip, if you use a 3rd party site/search, always then go to the direct airline site to book.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Nothing substantive to contribute except to say that I just went the through the (economically painful) process of booking my flights to Portugal from MSY and back for my Camino this spring, and that it’s always nice to see a fellow New Orleanian around here :) Happy Carnival!

I book American and avoid the Iberia/American flights . Why? Because Iberia does not allow you to see what seats are available prior to booking your flight. For an 8-10hr flight, I want to see what is available before I book!

I flew Iberia from JFK and they were very h3lpful. The connection in Madrid was only 55 min but they fast tracked me and I and my bag made it in plenty of time. I have stopped flying American airlines because i have had so many issues with delayed and cancelled flights.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always fly Iberia/American/BA to Spain since American is the only airline that flies into my town. I have also found that business class tickets on Iberia (booked through the American website) are frequently cheaper, and sometimes much cheaper on Iberia than on American. American doesn’t fly out of Chicago to Madrid, only Iberia does. So my flights to Spain on American will originate in Philadelphia, Charlotte, Boston, JFK, even Dallas. That makes for three flights, but I’m used to that and it doesn’t bother me like it does some people. If you’re in business class, the seat selection problem is not really a problem, because those seats are all identical, though you may get a window when you want an interior seat and vice versa.

Out of curiosity, what is the itinerary you’re considering from New Orleans?

Have you checked the Iberia website too? Are the prices for the Iberia flight about the same on both websites? I never check the Iberia website, but it occurs to me that you might see some differences, though I don’t know.
Departing flightSun, Sep 29
6:11 PM Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
Travel time: 1 hr 44 min
7:55 PMDallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) (DFW)
American
Economy
Airbus A321AA 2156

1 hr 55 min layoverDallas (DFW)

9:50 PMDallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) (DFW)
Travel time: 9 hr 35 min
Overnight
2:25 PM+1Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport (MAD) (MAD)
Iberia
Economy
Airbus A330IB 6148

1 hr 25 min layoverMadrid (MAD)

3:50 PM+1Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport (MAD) (MAD)
Travel time: 1 hr 15 min
5:05 PM+1Santiago-Rosalía de Castro Airport (SCQ)

RETURNING FLIGHT:

9:15 AMSantiago-Rosalía de Castro Airport (SCQ)
Travel time: 1 hr 20 min
10:35 AMAdolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport (MAD) (MAD)
Iberia
Economy
Airbus A319IB 571

1 hr 5 min layoverMadrid (MAD)

11:40 AMAdolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport (MAD) (MAD)
Travel time: 9 hr 20 min
3:00 PMMiami International Airport (MIA)
Iberia
Economy
Airbus A330IB 6123
Often delayed by 30+ min

4 hr 30 min layoverMiami (MIA)

7:30 PMMiami International Airport (MIA)
Travel time: 2 hr 17 min
8:47 PMLouis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)

Nothing substantive to contribute except to say that I just went the through the (economically painful) process of booking my flights to Portugal from MSY and back for my Camino this spring, and that it’s always nice to see a fellow New Orleanian around here :) Happy Carnival!
Thanks!! I am in Baton Rouge actually but when flying international flying out of MSY is usually the better option over BTR.

Thanks!! I am in Baton Rouge actually but when flying international flying out of MSY is usually the better option over BTR.
For the curious: I'm guessing BTR is the BaTon Rouge airport. For MSY, I had to look it up:

The international airport of New Orleans was originally named Moisant Field and the MSY identification comes from the airport's origins as Moisant Stock Yards, the name given to the land where the U. S. aviator John Bevins Moisant (Illinois 1868 – New Orleans 1910) crashed where the airport was later built.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For the curious: I'm guessing BTR is the BaTon Rouge airport. For MSY, I had to look it up:

The international airport of New Orleans was originally named Moisant Field and the MSY identification comes from the airport's origins as Moisant Stock Yards, the name given to the land where the U. S. aviator John Bevins Moisant (Illinois 1868 – New Orleans 1910) crashed where the airport was later built.
Airport three letter codes are a welrd world! Some reflect the name of the city, some the airport and in Canada they nearly all start with Y!

Last edited:
Understand that you're in Baton Rouge. There's an Americans on the Camino Louisiana Chapter starting up. Next meeting is this Thursday at 6:30 pm in New Orleans. Some future meetings will no doubt be in BR. Several experienced pilgrims will be there happy to provide support and information. I can send the details if you're interested.

Understand that you're in Baton Rouge. There's an Americans on the Camino Louisiana Chapter starting up. Next meeting is this Thursday at 6:30 pm in New Orleans. Some future meetings will no doubt be in BR. Several experienced pilgrims will be there happy to provide support and information. I can send the details if you're interested.
Yes please do!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here’s my low-cost Camino flying trick from US. Fly from your US city to Dublin. (These flights are inexpensive - $600.) You can stay in Dublin for a day (or 2 just for fun) and then use Ryanair and fly over to Biarritz France (the flight cost me $75). Then use Express Bourricot taxi share service which will take you directly into St. Jean Pied de Port ($20). Iberia has flights from Santiago de Compostela back to Dublin. Note: a lot of Irish walk the Camino that’s why Ryanair has flights into the area. When you fly over from Dublin, you will be on the flight with a number of people starting the Camino.Dublin has hotels near the airport and free bus rides to the hotel. I used point for a free ihg property. There are also inexpensive hostels in downtown Dublin.
This works in other ways for travelling from the UK to the US. One can get a cheaper flight and clear US immigration in Dublin in a friendly Irish fashion rather than be subjected to the equally professional but more lengthy and brusk process in the US.

The upside is you might get to spend an evening in Dublin, which is rarely a bad thing.

I wish I had known this before I purchased my tix to Madrid a few days ago! I will keep this in mind for next time.

I had an awful experience with Iberia about 10 years ago. They cancelled our seats on a return flight from Madrid to Newark. When the plane departed, there were many passengers not allowed on the plane. They overbooked in a big way. We flew home the next day and the plane was filthy. Customer service was non responsive. I vowed to never fly Iberia again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So I recently had a problem with Iberia.
I got an email saying my flight with them was canceled and I literally could NOT get in touch with a customer service rep.
After a 1.5 hour wait, I got someone who told me since another airline was being used, though flying under "Iberia," I would have to contact that airline. After another 1.5 hour wait on hold, THAT airline told me I needed to call Iberia. I was not happy.
I finally sorted it out myself by downloading their app and using it to find a new flight.

Hey, fellow Louisianan here. Going Camino in Spring also! New Iberia actually. Frances route?

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back