• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

At last, nuestra segunda etapa from Logroño

David with new Kit!

Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2021, 2022
Hi guys
My wife and I have finally arrived in Spain after lots of planning and a cancelled flight.

We have previously walk from SJPP to Logroño and we now pick up again in Logroño. Let's see how far we get this time

We flew from Gatwick to Bilbao via Barcelona, arriving late last night.

I've made some notes below as it might be of interest so some.

Arrive Bilbao – Stay in the Hotel LLunion San Mames 87.84 euros. Great hotel, it's right above the new bus station. Go upstairs from the bus station to the top exit, turn right, then right again. You should be going up a slight incline. The entrance to the hotel is on the right about 30 metres up the incline.

Arrived in Bilbao from London Gatwick via Barcelona and both flights were full. Everyone was wearing masks on the flight and in the airports.

Early start for the 0700hrs bus to Logroño in the morning.
Travel by 0700hrs bus to Logrono and then walk on to Navarette. and stay in Hostal A La Sombra Del Laurel 45 euros.

On entering the bus station you must purchase a ticket before you can access the buses. Your ticket is locked out until 20 mins before departure to avoid crowds. But, it's plenty time. Great bus, great journey down to Logroño.

We got our first sello at the tourist information centre when it opened at 1000hrs. It's been a long day so far but fortunately it's not a long stage to Navarrete.

When we arrived in Navarrete the lady In the Albergue washed our clothes for four euro's, it was very necessary as it was a hot climb out of Logroño.

The cold shower was very welcome. Just need to find a bar now and rehydrate.

In the town's everyone wears a mask, same in hotels. Walking in the street almost everyone wears a mask. Out in the Camino, mostly not.

We saw quite a few pilgrims today, lots of Camino cyclists too

We have only booked four days ahead and had no problems booking. Our preference is private room and bathroom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Also in Navarette if you are looking for a good menu del dia try El Molino which is centrally located near the church. It is good, popular, cheap, and copious.

We must be sitting at opposite sides of the church as we are in Bocateria Move chomping through the Pilgrim menu 👍

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
September 9th - Najera and stay at Apartamento Vino Y Camino 68 euros.

It was a pleasant walk to Najera, miles and miles of vines. We took the Ventosa route option and had our 'second breakfast

A lot of pilgrims again, both on foot and on bike

We arrived in Najera too early as our apartment was still being cleaned. But it was worth the wait. Wonderful apartment, we are sitting with our gratis bottle of wine (provided by the owner) whilst we await our washing being disgorged from the washing machin

No lunch yet, but will explore soon

Cash V card is about mixed but so far leans towards card. However, cash is still needed.

Got problems booking in San Juan de Ortega and had to book ahead to Ages to get private accommodation. That will be a long walk from our overnight in Belorado, but let's see.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a small update about the Camino.

The majority of pilgrims are still Spanish, followed by Americans and French. Not seen many Brits at all.

Still lots of cyclists (wish they used a bell!!)

Masks still well respected, so no issues in that respect.

We have mostly got our first choice of stop, but where we didn't, we have so far always got our second stop. This has made for some short stages and some long stages. We are only looking at private rooms, so your mileage may vary.

Currently sitting with a cold beer in Hontanas after an 18kms walk, will do the remaining 9kms after lunch.

Weather has been great for walking, in the low twenties (C). Avoided most off the rain around Burgos as we stopped there for two days

Next stop is Castrojeriz.

I feel like I'm stalking @Arn as he is consistently a day in front of us.

Sounds like you're enjoying your Camino! Hope you continue to do so. September 2019 was fabulous weather! Hope you continue to have good weather! Buen Camino

Another update, about the reality of the CF.

We are currently at Rabanal and have found accommodation ok so far. The municipal albergues are a bit hit and miss, but we are avoiding them anyway, preferring private rooms in private albergues, casa rurales etc. With a few marvellous hotels in Burgos, León and Astorga.

Even in private albergues cooking has so far not been allowed. Use the kitchen facilities, but no cooking.

We have tried to use Booking.com to keep things easy, but it does not always work.

I have had to use the Buon Camino app and it has not let me down, I'm just glad I used lockdown to learn a bit more Spanish.

So, we might have had to compromise our intended stages, but we have always got accommodation.

It's all very normal out here, mask are respected on flights, buses, hotels, bars, streets etc. In fact, I feel safer here than at home in the UK.

We have taken an internal flight and a bus and at no point we're we ever asked for proof of vaccination etc

While it's not as busy as in 2019, it's still busy. The attached pic is between Astorga and Rabanal. (Poor pic, but the conga line is long)

If you were thinking of doing the Camino I suggest just doing it as there is no guarantee that putting it off to next year will be any better.

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_101330.jpg
    IMG_20210928_101330.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back