• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aussie pilgrim starting 17/18th April from St Jean

FrancesK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April/May 2012); Le puy (Sept 2013)
Morning everyone,

I've just booked my flight from Perth, Australia to London and then a flight to Biaritz...now i'm excited!!!

My folks were concerned when i told them of my plans, they didnt want me hiking alone. I told them I won't be alone, there will be other pilgrims on the trail to hike with, chat, have fun, explore and make friends (and have a beer with at the end of the day). If you are hiking at the same time as me I look forward to meeting you!

One question, is it best to book accomodation in St Jean? It looks like I will get in late afternoon.

Thanks and buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
YEW! another auzzie on the Camino. BUEN CAMINO from Brizzy!

You right I was looking into walking alone and then I did the math its probably going to be harder to stay away from people and get a quiet moment!

I'm striking out from SJPdP on the 9th so a bit ahead of you, but there are a few kicking off on or around your date... just have a browse through the right way section, wait no right way? there are multiple ways :roll: and you will find out who is leaving, when and and and where from.

Which version are you doing?
Have you got your gear sorted? I have to buy some more stuff.. :| I think.

Anyway catch you on the forum...

Hi Francesk!

I started almost exactly the same date last year and got the Ryanair flight from London to Biarritz. I was planning to stay in Bayonne because I was worried about accommodation in SJPP, but by the time I got the bus from the airport I'd met so many peregrinos who persuaded me to wing it with them that we all got the last train to SJPP. No problem. The pilgrim office there was great. The place they put me in was one of the best dorms I stayed in, in fact. Fear not!

Buen Camino!

ps. Several people I met and on this forum loved the L'esprit du Chemin albergue, which does need reserved.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Frances
I walked from St jean last May and this year will walk from Seville on 13th April.
L'esprit du chemin is a wonderful place to start your Camino and you will have to book. They have a great website with a booking form. If I were you I would also book into Orrison 11kms straight up the Pyrenees, which will help you get over your jetlag. I am also from Perth so feel free to pm me if you wish.
Your life won't be the same again. Walking the Camino is an incredible experience. This forum is full of friendly,informative people who have been a great help to me and thousands of others.
Buen Camino
Heather

Another couple of Perth Aussie's here - my daughter and I are starting from St Jean at the begining of March. We are staying in Bayonne and getting the early train to St. Jean, so will start walking the same day we get there. :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Busy bee
Did we meet at the Cafe meeting in Fremantle? I think you are so brave taking your little daughter with you in March. Hope you are able to post along the way and let us know how you are.
It will be a wonderful experience for you both.
Last May I met a South African mum and her 9yr old daughter who walked from St Jean and Emily was a delight we all loved her and she always seemed happy. She told me all she missed was a real bath.
Buen Camino
Heather

ward4e said:
YEW! another auzzie on the Camino. BUEN CAMINO from Brizzy!

You right I was looking into walking alone and then I did the math its probably going to be harder to stay away from people and get a quiet moment!

I'm striking out from SJPdP on the 9th so a bit ahead of you, but there are a few kicking off on or around your date... just have a browse through the right way section, wait no right way? there are multiple ways :roll: and you will find out who is leaving, when and and and where from.

Which version are you doing?
Have you got your gear sorted? I have to buy some more stuff.. :| I think.

Anyway catch you on the forum...

Gear...ummm...sort of :) I have the backpack, hiking shoes and some hiking pants but that's it. I still need to get a wind/rain-proof jacket of some sort and maybe a head torch. I havent even thought of toiletries and first aid kits yet, I figure I can get a lot of things along the way when and where its needed (I've just had shoulder surgery so I dont want to carry more than i need :D ).

Hope you have a great hike!

camino07 said:
Hi Frances
I walked from St jean last May and this year will walk from Seville on 13th April.
L'esprit du chemin is a wonderful place to start your Camino and you will have to book. They have a great website with a booking form. If I were you I would also book into Orrison 11kms straight up the Pyrenees, which will help you get over your jetlag. I am also from Perth so feel free to pm me if you wish.
Your life won't be the same again. Walking the Camino is an incredible experience. This forum is full of friendly,informative people who have been a great help to me and thousands of others.
Buen Camino
Heather

Thanks Heather, I was planning to book into Orrison...why rush through the beautiful Pyranees! I had a look at the L'esprit, their bookings open this week so i will book in with them too. The rest of the accomodation can be left up to the Camino to decide :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Busybee said:
Another couple of Perth Aussie's here - my daughter and I are starting from St Jean at the begining of March. We are staying in Bayonne and getting the early train to St. Jean, so will start walking the same day we get there. :D

Have you booked you're train already? If so, which website did you use? I got a bit lost on google trying to find the right station.

Hello Frances

When buying your gear, don't do like i did when i bought my first aid kit. I thought that i had got a bargain in the winter sales when i bought my first aid kit.

It was selling originally for ÂŁ30 quid and i bought it for ÂŁ10 and i thought i had got a bargain.

When i opened it up there was enough gear in there to amputate somebody's leg on the Camino!....doh

It also weighed 374g or just over 13 ounces. Talk about packing light.

Might bump into you on your 'Way'. I land in St Jean on the 19th April but sorry, i'm not from Oz.

best regards
Chas

Hi Frances.
Another Aussie here - we're everywhere!
I walked the Frances in 2010 and also in 2011 but from over the Somport Pass. It's got me hooked.
LÉsprit is great, especially the communal dinner where you meet everyone and swap stories. I also stopped at Orisson (http://www.refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr) where there is also a communal dinner.
I have found that Bonjour La France (http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/trains) good for train info in France, and the web site is in English. I shared a taxi with others from Bayonne to St Jean, so at Biarritz airport look for other pilgrims who are easily spotted by their boots, backpacks etc. It was only 12 euros each for 5 of us, and took less than an hour to St Jean and with beautiful scenary. PM if I can help more. I am in Sydney. David

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Frances

I booked my trains on this site:

http://www.raileurope.co.uk

Its the english site, but you can opt to collect your tickets at the train station, and they took the australian credit card no problems, so i have my booking that i need to scan in the machine at the railway station to get my tickets. There is an australian site also but its more expensive than the english one. A good site to learn about the french railways is here:

http://www.seat61.com/France.htm

Good luck

camino07 said:
Hi Busy bee
Did we meet at the Cafe meeting in Fremantle? I think you are so brave taking your little daughter with you in March. Hope you are able to post along the way and let us know how you are.
It will be a wonderful experience for you both.
Last May I met a South African mum and her 9yr old daughter who walked from St Jean and Emily was a delight we all loved her and she always seemed happy. She told me all she missed was a real bath.
Buen Camino
Heather

Hi Heather
Yes that was me in Fremantle.... Can't wait to go now, only three weeks left for me, and not long for you either... We walked up and down Mt Vincent twice on sunday trying to practice - of course i was very tired by the end but i am sure my daughter could have done it another couple of times....
You know you where the first person to wish us a real Buen Camino at that meeting, was very special.
Buen Camino
Busybee

Hi Frances,

When you arrive in St. Jean, make your way over to the pilgrims office to get your credentials and register yourself as a "Peregrino"
The staff there is very helpful and they speak a variety of languages, they will give you some basics maps for the Camino and will direct you the closest albergue (in my case even walked me there).

Whatever uncertainties you have will iron themselves out as you begin your journey and before you know it you'll be half way to Santiago with a pocket full of memories and friends for a lifetime.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
chas999 said:
Hello Frances

When buying your gear, don't do like i did when i bought my first aid kit. I thought that i had got a bargain in the winter sales when i bought my first aid kit.

It was selling originally for ÂŁ30 quid and i bought it for ÂŁ10 and i thought i had got a bargain.

When i opened it up there was enough gear in there to amputate somebody's leg on the Camino!....doh

It also weighed 374g or just over 13 ounces. Talk about packing light.

Might bump into you on your 'Way'. I land in St Jean on the 19th April but sorry, i'm not from Oz.

best regards
Chas

Hahah! Well, at least you hadn't paid the full 30 for it :) . I know you can get pre-prepared kits but from what i've seen they tend to be geared toward specific needs, such as a 'gastro pack'. So I thought i would put one together myself...things like, blister pads, bandaid, Stingoes, sunscrean, Panadol, gastro stuff. Anything that requires more serious first aid I'll find help in a town. Is that similar to what you were planning to put together?

We may just meet on the camino since i'll only be a day or two in front! I hope we do but if not enjoy and take care :)

Thanks BusyBee and Camino-David! I now have my train ride from Bayonne to St Jean organised. I get into St Jean at 7.30pm, bit later than i had hoped but if i organise a bed there will be nothing to worry about :)

camino07 said:
Hi Frances
Buen Camino
Heather
Hi Heather, I'm curious to know if you just walked the 11km on your first day to give yourself an easy start (not that straight up the Pyranees is easy), or the jet lag took several days to get over. I'm happy not to push myself straight out of the barriers (so to say), and if you recommend somewhere 11km from SJPP, then I'm happy to look into it for myself and my daughter (Georgia 9) - she's young and I'm unfit). :idea:
Gina & Georgia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Gina & Georgia,
Many people break the first day at Orisson. It is essential to book ahead, you can contact them via their website.
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/
Buen Camino.
Col

Hi Gina & Georgia

When are you going? I'm starting from St.Jean in about 3 weeks with my 11 year old daugher...
would be fantastic if we where going about the same time, then the girls would have someone there own age to talk to....

Thanks
Busybee

Hi Gina
It would be a very long hard day for you and Georgia if you didn't break it at Orrison. I like to break myself in slowly that is why I stayed there.
How wonderful if you two were going at the same time as Busy bee and daughter but i'm sure you will get plenty of hints from her.
IMO you will be inundated with help with the girls,we loved having littlies in our company last year.
Buen Camino and look forward to hearing about your travels
Heather

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Miss Aussie :)

I walked the camino from SJPP 18 months ago (alo solo aus female).
I stayed the first two nights at Auberge du Pelerin which I was able to book on-line (link below).
FANTASTIC auberge!!!!!! Was allowed to stay there 2 nights because I had come such a long way..jetlag etc. It had only been open about 6 months when I arrived so wasn't well known on the forum. Hardly anyone there. Small rooms in a beautifully old renovated house - stone walls and floors etc but spotlessly clean and quiet. Bathrooms fine - beds really comfy - FOOD AWESOME! Danielle (the woman running the place at the time) made the BEST food. Had Duck Confit with garlic potatos, salad and caramel creme brulee on first night (plus wine of course). STILL remember that meal and accomodation as one of the best I stayed in on camino. Is in the main street of teh old town - not far from the pilgrims office. HIGHLY recommend it!

http://www.aubergedupelerin.com/fr/l-au ... --t10.html

Best of luck - you will have an amazing experience!

Thank you all so much for your wonderful words of insight and knowledge. I have promised Georgia she will have a wonderful time, and exhausting, and all of the other adjectives. I would love to meet up with other people travelling with their kids, and I can't believe I'm doing it. I thought of doing it alone for .... about ..... 2 months. Everyone has their own reasons for a pilgrimage. Then I realised the opportunity for both George and I, and I have never considered leaving her behind again.
I've clearly missed you and your daughter BusyBee, but I love the offer!! 3 weeks was when I WANTED to go, but I am waiting on God, and an insurance payment. :wink:
Thank you for the links everyone. I'm happy to start slow and finish slow.
Bless you all ♥
Gina and Georgia

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back