• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances from St Jean starting April14

CarlSA

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016, Salvador 2018,
Primitivo 2018
I have been following the Camino Forum for many years and have been enjoying the conversations, or most of them. Just thought that maybe we can add some of our experiences. The Camino has really hooked my wife and myself. We did the Camino Frances from Leon during the first 2 weeks of September 2016, the Salvador in April 2018 and Primitivo in May 2018. Covid robbed us from any further opportunities. I am 66 and my wife 61 and we are from South Africa.

Our initial exposure to the Camino was not so nice. The backpacks were too heavy and we were not fit enough to carry them. After the first day we decided to send our backpacks with Jacotrans. We stayed mostly in private hostels and albergues, sharing rooms and about every fourth night did a good refreshing in our own private room. We thoroughly enjoyed the walking, meeting new people, experiencing rural Spain. We had no rain but a heatwave.

Lesson – check the weight of your backpacks and do sufficient training before the Camino. To think that if other people can do it, you should do it easily is not always the truth.

We started the San Salvador at the end of April 2018 in Leon. This route is somewhat different as there are less towns and refreshing points. A lot of walking is in the mountains and one day we had to go through some snow. We carried our backpacks the whole way. In total we were only 5 people on the route. We finished in Oviedo where we started the Primitivo. Took a rest day in Oviedo and later in Lugo. We decided that in future we shall maybe skip the resting days depending on our bodies and rather do a shorter day instead of taking a full rest day.

On the Primitivo we only stayed in albergues. The first night in Grado we met other peregrino’s and from there on we walked and stayed together most of the time. As they were from many nationalities, we really got the feeling and the vibe of the Camino.

We had the most splendid day ever on the 1st of May when leaving Tineo. The beautiful sun rising over the low lying clouds that were down under in the valley. But on 2th of May when we were on top of the mountain on the Hospitales route, we had the worst day ever on the Camino with a gushing wind and hard rain straight in our faces, soaking wet.

We are starting in St Jean Pied-de-Port on the 14th of April 2023 on the Camino Frances. We are planning to walk not more than 24 km per day and doing it without any rush, talking to the cattle, smelling the roses, etc. We are also going to try to deviate from Brierley’s day routes to prevent the rush and congestion for beds that normally takes place in his recommended towns.

Reflecting back there are a few things that I would like to emphasize. There are a lot of recommendations on the forum but please, use also your common sense. You need to practice before the time. Do enough walking because your body must be adapted to the extra strain. Most important is your feet. Get hiking boots or shoes that work for you. I never had any blisters but my wife had some toe problems. Good socks are very important.

Own your Camino, it is your time and you are doing the walking. Do not care about other people’s opinions. Be prepared but do not over organize. People tend unfortunately to overload with information and plan to much. For the backpack stay with the basic stuff that you need. It is no use to plan for what maybe can happen. Everything is available on the way. Through our experience (and I am a meticulous planner), we found that the Camino has its own ways. You cannot stick to all your plans such as where you want to sleep, etc. Go with the flow and plan according to the situation.

Doing the Camino gives you time to clear your head, to get perspective on your life, to learn to be tolerant of other people (with strange habits) and to test your own endurance. It I really a life changing experience. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino - it sounds like you are well-prepared mentally, physically, and planning-wise.

I understand your idea of not overplanning however when you have health problems that need special attention such as CPAP respirator and medicine, one must plan accurately. That is a bit unfortuante. We are December 8th and at the time of this writing, I'd really like to get my backpack and just go. I will have to plan with the correct and amount of meds, look for albergue privadas after the initial return to Spain after so many years.

There are certain parameters that cannot be planned and you are correct; other need careful analysis and decisions.

I plan to leave AUCH in March and walk to the Col du Somport on the first leg, return home, and aim to return to Col du Somport. After the initial "test run" after the SEMANA SANTA, (April 2 to April 9, 2023) the plan is to leave the third week of April.

After Santiago, I am hoping to head down to Porto, Portugal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been following the Camino Forum for many years and have been enjoying the conversations, or most of them. Just thought that maybe we can add some of our experiences. The Camino has really hooked my wife and myself. We did the Camino Frances from Leon during the first 2 weeks of September 2016, the Salvador in April 2018 and Primitivo in May 2018. Covid robbed us from any further opportunities. I am 66 and my wife 61 and we are from South Africa.

Our initial exposure to the Camino was not so nice. The backpacks were too heavy and we were not fit enough to carry them. After the first day we decided to send our backpacks with Jacotrans. We stayed mostly in private hostels and albergues, sharing rooms and about every fourth night did a good refreshing in our own private room. We thoroughly enjoyed the walking, meeting new people, experiencing rural Spain. We had no rain but a heatwave.

Lesson – check the weight of your backpacks and do sufficient training before the Camino. To think that if other people can do it, you should do it easily is not always the truth.

We started the San Salvador at the end of April 2018 in Leon. This route is somewhat different as there are less towns and refreshing points. A lot of walking is in the mountains and one day we had to go through some snow. We carried our backpacks the whole way. In total we were only 5 people on the route. We finished in Oviedo where we started the Primitivo. Took a rest day in Oviedo and later in Lugo. We decided that in future we shall maybe skip the resting days depending on our bodies and rather do a shorter day instead of taking a full rest day.

On the Primitivo we only stayed in albergues. The first night in Grado we met other peregrino’s and from there on we walked and stayed together most of the time. As they were from many nationalities, we really got the feeling and the vibe of the Camino.

We had the most splendid day ever on the 1st of May when leaving Tineo. The beautiful sun rising over the low lying clouds that were down under in the valley. But on 2th of May when we were on top of the mountain on the Hospitales route, we had the worst day ever on the Camino with a gushing wind and hard rain straight in our faces, soaking wet.

We are starting in St Jean Pied-de-Port on the 14th of April 2023 on the Camino Frances. We are planning to walk not more than 24 km per day and doing it without any rush, talking to the cattle, smelling the roses, etc. We are also going to try to deviate from Brierley’s day routes to prevent the rush and congestion for beds that normally takes place in his recommended towns.

Reflecting back there are a few things that I would like to emphasize. There are a lot of recommendations on the forum but please, use also your common sense. You need to practice before the time. Do enough walking because your body must be adapted to the extra strain. Most important is your feet. Get hiking boots or shoes that work for you. I never had any blisters but my wife had some toe problems. Good socks are very important.

Own your Camino, it is your time and you are doing the walking. Do not care about other people’s opinions. Be prepared but do not over organize. People tend unfortunately to overload with information and plan to much. For the backpack stay with the basic stuff that you need. It is no use to plan for what maybe can happen. Everything is available on the way. Through our experience (and I am a meticulous planner), we found that the Camino has its own ways. You cannot stick to all your plans such as where you want to sleep, etc. Go with the flow and plan according to the situation.

Doing the Camino gives you time to clear your head, to get perspective on your life, to learn to be tolerant of other people (with strange habits) and to test your own endurance. It I really a life changing experience. Buen Camino.
I start the same day. It will be my first. My plan is to walk to Valcarlos for a quieter start. No need to worry about weather and crowded Orisson or Roncesvalle. Taking your advice to own my camino. Buen Camino - maybe I will see you there.

I start the same day. It will be my first. My plan is to walk to Valcarlos for a quieter start. No need to worry about weather and crowded Orisson or Roncesvalle. Taking your advice to own my camino. Buen Camino - maybe I will see you there.
We had a change of plans, starting now on 11th. Also walking to Valcarlos for the first day. It is a long way to Santiago de Compostela, maybe somewhere along the way we'll meet. Enjoy every day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We had a change of plans, starting now on 11th. Also walking to Valcarlos for the first day. It is a long way to Santiago de Compostela, maybe somewhere along the way we'll meet. Enjoy every day!
Yes, perhaps our paths will criss-cross. Were you able to book anything in Valcarlos? I am not getting an answer to any email or request.

Yes, perhaps our paths will criss-cross. Were you able to book anything in Valcarlos? I am not getting an answer to any email or request.
We booked an apartment through Booking.com as well in St Jean. We prefer not to stay in alberques for the first two days. The reason is that we do need good rest because of the time on the plane to get to the Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back