• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Availability of accommodation on CPI?

CPK

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016
CPI 2023
I'll be walking the CPI (Lisbon - Coimbra - Viseu - Verin - SdC) starting later this month.

For those who have walked this route, and in particular, the stretch between Coimbra and Viseu, what are the options for accommodation? Gronze shows places to stay along the entire route so I'm not worried about being stranded without a place to stay. I'd just like to know if I need to book places or just show up. Are the municipal albergues (which I understand are often empty) open without reservation or do I need to call ahead? Does anyone have any experience staying with the volunteer firemen or with friendly locals?

Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You need to call ahead for the albergues on the CPI as they are not staffed on-site; someone from the village has the keys so you should coordinate with them. There are quite a few options for albergues (at least from Viseu onwards; I haven’t walked Coimbra-Viseu) as they are often converted schools.

I see, thank you!

Did you call several days in advance or on the day? Do you think a mix of English and Spanish with a couple of rehearsed Portuguese phrases will be sufficient?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One day in advance (the afternoon before) with an approximate arrival time would be sufficient, just so the person can arrange to be available around that time or give the keys to someone who will be.

As for language, we were fortunate to be able to do it all in Portuguese (we live in Portugal). Any Portuguese you can learn will be helpful; beyond that, English is generally more useful than Spanish and Portuguese people tend not to like being spoken to in Spanish for historical reasons, so I’d only resort to it as a last option.

I'll start working on my Portuguese then! Is there a Portuguese SIM card you would recommend that I could use for just one month?

There are three main providers: MEO, NOS and Vodafone. I think they are all pretty similar in terms of packages and coverage. Perhaps just take a look at their websites and see if one of them stands out, has a deal going etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I see, thank you!

Did you call several days in advance or on the day? Do you think a mix of English and Spanish with a couple of rehearsed Portuguese phrases will be sufficient?
As long as it concerns about money in shops, restaurants etc they see you as “walking moneybags”and they will try to understand you in English or Castillano , whatever you speak. I never had any problems talking Castillano in Portugal nor in Brasil.
But the Portuguese and Brazilians appreciate if you can speak a mouthfull of Portuguese words.
If you already speak Castillano or Spanish from Latin America you’ll experience that you will learn the language faster .Anyway I did because if you understand the Spanish grammar , you will see there will be many similarities.
I studied Brasilian Portugues during 6 years and it is easier to learn this than the European original Portuguese .

Is there anywhere to stay in Bigorne? I noticed @jungleboy you mentioned a lady who owns the restaurant. I've tried calling the number on google but no reply. I'm not there yet but will be in a few days.

Is there anywhere to stay in Bigorne? I noticed @jungleboy you mentioned a lady who owns the restaurant. I've tried calling the number on google but no reply. I'm not there yet but will be in a few days.
Yes, that’s the only option. The room is a few doors down but you arrange it through the restaurant. It’s unlikely that there’ll be anyone else in town though, so you could probably arrange it on the day if you can’t get through beforehand.

Edit: this is the number in case you are somehow calling a different one: +351 934 034 685

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks, that is the number I tried. I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.🤞

Do you remember how much you paid?

Hi CPK.
Excuse my English from Google Translator.

Yesterday I arrived in Santiago de Compostela after starting the day 14 from Viseu.

I show you my stages and where I stayed in case they can help you.

Viseu - Vila MeĂŁ (23.5 km). Repouso do Peregrino. The key can be requested at the bar Vicente. I asked him for a contact telephone number and he preferred not to give it to me at the moment. Donation.

Vila MeĂŁ - Moura Morta (23.4 km). Moura Morta hostel. I previously called the phone number that appears in Gronze during working hours and they gave me the phone number of a neighbor who waited for me at the indicated time and who I do not publish on this forum for privacy. It is free, all expenses are managed by the Camara Municipal de Castro Daire, but they always appreciate a donation.

Moura Morta - Lamego (23.3 km). Complexo Desportivo de Lamego. I previously called the phone listed in Gronze (updated). €7.50.

Lamego - Santa Marta de PenaguiĂŁo (19.9 km). Bombeiros Voluntarios de Santa Marta de PenaguiĂŁo. They don't always welcome pilgrims. Important to call before to ensure. I was lucky, but two pilgrims, also Spanish, did not have the same luck. Gratuitous.

Santa Marta de Penaguião - Vila Real (17.5 Km) Here the Bombeiros Voluntarios de Vila Real may welcome pilgrims. Important to call before to ensure. I slept in Pensao Areias, but Gronze shows other alternatives for a similar price. €25.

Vila Real - Parada de Aguiar (26.2 km). Santiago hostel. I called the second telephone number that appears in Gronze the day before to notify me of my arrival, and once there I called again so that they would come to open me up. Donation.

Parada de Aguiar - Vidago (22.8 km). Restaurante Gomes. €20.

Vidago - Vilarelho da Raia (32.8 km). Vilarelho Hostel. €5.

Vilarelho da Raia - Verin (14.4 km). Verin hostel. €8.

From VerĂ­n you already have options for hostels whether you continue along the southern route from VerĂ­n, or if you switch to the northern route from Laza.

Any other questions, I will try to help you.

A greeting and buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back