• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack & Poles - Carry on?

Interpreter

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés
Can we take our back packs and poles on the plane? In case we need to check them what is the best way to do it?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have carried my poles in inside my pack every year since 2009.
Rubber tips on. Often pulled apart into sections so they fit better.
Usually have a tube that could be used to check them if stopped.
Never been questioned.

I put my pack cover on with a belt around it to keep it on. This makes it look very much like a duffle bag.

Flying home I have always checked my pack as I really don't care if it arrives with me or not.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Never been questioned.

I put my pack cover on with a belt around it to keep it on. This makes it look very much like a duffle bag.

Flying home I have always checked my pack as I really don't care if it arrives with me or not.

Hi, Interpreter, welcome to the forum. Grayland and I are the hiking-poles-on-the-plane proponents, we always say the same thing. But first, one little clarification, Grayland and I are from the US, and different countries have different rules. So if you're not from the US, don't pay any attention to us. Our experiences in the US have been consistent -- we have successfully carried our poles on the plane for many years and have never had a problem. Grayland has his inside his pack, I have mine inside a duffel bag.

I think, though of course he can correct me, that when Falcon says that it's "unknown" whether you can carry on poles in the US, what he means is that the regulations themselves are ambiguous. The regulations say you can carry on a "walking aid" but you can't carry on "ski poles." They say nothing about hiking poles. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone from the US say that they were unable to bring their poles through US security.

Buen camino, Laurie

I'm retired from a major carrier in the US. I've had no trouble and I've had trouble. We just got back from NZ and AU for a Month and we put them in the checked bag, wrapped in bubble wrap with tape. Both times our bag was opened. We carry an extra, fold-up duffle for this purpose. I've seen people wrap them in bubble wrap and tape from JFK to BCN and they arrive. It changes all the time depending which Crazies are doing what in this beautiful world of ours. <3

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can we take our back packs and poles on the plane? In case we need to check them what is the best way to do it?
I carried mine on from North America to Madrid. The poles had to be covered (I used a yoga bag) and the pack was under 22lbs. no problem on the way home either.

Well you don't say where you're flying from??? We never had a problem ( flying from Costa Rica) until 2013, when we were stopped at the luggage control and we're not allowed to carry them in our packs, even although they had been dismantled. Adriaan returned to the main check in area and had them wrapped up in that plastic stuff they offer to supposedly protect your suitcase, or whatever.
He then checked them in.
Returning from Santiago, we have never been allowed to take them on board. Never. You should see how many confiscated poles are there in the luggage control area!
Personally, I would never risk checking in my pack on the outward journey. If I loose my poles, that's one thing, but to be held upbecause my pack hasn't arrived, well that's another matter.

I flew from LAX direct to Madrid. The boarding agenda said I could carry them if they were covered in a bag. One trip to Kohls and i found a yoga bag to put them in. I then strapped them to my backpack and went through security, on I went. On the way home I had a layover in Moscow with another direct flight to LAX, again in the bag and no problem. Titanium tipped LEKI's would have been a loss but still, no problem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Interpreter, welcome to the forum. Grayland and I are the hiking-poles-on-the-plane proponents, we always say the same thing. But first, one little clarification, Grayland and I are from the US, and different countries have different rules. So if you're not from the US, don't pay any attention to us. Our experiences in the US have been consistent -- we have successfully carried our poles on the plane for many years and have never had a problem. Grayland has his inside his pack, I have mine inside a duffel bag.

I think, though of course he can correct me, that when Falcon says that it's "unknown" whether you can carry on poles in the US, what he means is that the regulations themselves are ambiguous. The regulations say you can carry on a "walking aid" but you can't carry on "ski poles." They say nothing about hiking poles. But I don't think I've ever heard anyone from the US say that they were unable to bring their poles through US security.

Buen camino, Laurie
I was afraid to buying them because I did not want them to be taken away on my flight! I guess I can try to take them.

Well you don't say where you're flying from??? We never had a problem ( flying from Costa Rica) until 2013, when we were stopped at the luggage control and we're not allowed to carry them in our packs, even although they had been dismantled. Adriaan returned to the main check in area and had them wrapped up in that plastic stuff they offer to supposedly protect your suitcase, or whatever.
He then checked them in.
Returning from Santiago, we have never been allowed to take them on board. Never. You should see how many confiscated poles are there in the luggage control area!
Personally, I would never risk checking in my pack on the outward journey. If I loose my poles, that's one thing, but to be held upbecause my pack hasn't arrived, well that's another matter.
It is a risk!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Actually there is no risk to anyone "taking them".
In the very unlikely event that you were denied taking them on-board..you can go back and check them. Just go a bit early if you are worried.
Thank you leaving from USA.I will take them, first I have to purchase them lol:)

I was able to take my poles from US to London to Lyon in my pack as a carry on. When I returned from Bilbao, I strapped them to my pack and was stopped. They wanted to charge me to bubble wrap them so I could check them. I ended up breaking them down, shoving them in my pack and just checked everything. I probably could have passed security if I had just put them inside my pack to begin with. Under x-ray, they may look like part of the frame.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can buy some in SJPdP or Pamplona.
If I can buy some in SJPDP it will be great! I need them for the first day. I will try to bring my backpack as a carry on.
Thank you Mark Lee:)

If I can buy some in SJPDP it will be great! I need them for the first day. I will try to bring my backpack as a carry on.
Thank you Mark Lee:)
Definitely try to carry-on your backpack. It's just way easier that way and there's that old piece of mind bit knowing you have the pack with you. Also you can purchase soap and toothpaste and any other liquid toiletries when you get to SJPdP. Stuff that may be restricted in carry-on's.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Never been questioned.

Thank you. I have a hiking staff in sections and put it in my pack. I was going to take it out before I go through security, until I read this! Guess I will leave it in!

Definitely try to carry-on your backpack. It's just way easier that way and there's that old piece of mind bit knowing you have the pack with you. Also you can purchase soap and toothpaste and any other liquid toiletries when you get to SJPdP. Stuff that may be restricted in carry-on's.
Thank you Mark Lee. I do have a question I'm schedule to arrive to Paris airport at 0930, I purchase a local plane ticket,Easy Jet, that leaves to Biarritz at 11:AM, but closes the gate at 1030:AM Terminal 2D. I'm a bit worry not to make on time, can you tell me what you think? Also I could not figure out once I get to Biarritz airport if the train or bus to SPDP is easy to get. I looked at the info they have in a treat, not easy to understand. Thank you

Anyone taken poles in their carry-on from a Canadian airport?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Scott..
I would have a plan to be able to check it just in case you get denied.
You can check it by itself and still carry your pack.
I assume you are departing from SeaTac. I am in Seattle so have taken my poles through in my pack many times.

There is an active Pilgrim group in Seattle.

Thank you Mark Lee. I do have a question I'm schedule to arrive to Paris airport at 0930, I purchase a local plain ticket,Easy Jet, that leaves to Biarritz at 11:AM, but closes the gate at 1030:AM Terminal 2D. I'm a bit worry not to make on time, can you tell me what you think? Also I could not figure out once I get to Biarritz airport if the train or bus to SPDP is easy to get. I looked at the info they have in a treat, not easy to understand. Thank you
That appears tight for an international to domestic connection at a large airport. My experience with this is that insurers I have used will not cover missed connections if you leave less than about six hours between flights. I guess that covers them for any inbound delays and the time it takes to get through immigration and customs, particularly at busy times of the day. I generally plan on it taking two hours to get through the entry formalities, and I am grateful if it takes less, but that also varies from airport to airport. It is a few years since I travelled through CDG, but I don't recall the process being that slick that you would make this connection, noting that I also travelled with checked bags. Others with recent experience of only carrying carry-on luggage might be able to give you more up to date information on how tight your timings are.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Mark Lee. I do have a question I'm schedule to arrive to Paris airport at 0930, I purchase a local plain ticket,Easy Jet, that leaves to Biarritz at 11:AM, but closes the gate at 1030:AM Terminal 2D. I'm a bit worry not to make on time, can you tell me what you think? Also I could not figure out once I get to Biarritz airport if the train or bus to SPDP is easy to get. I looked at the info they have in a treat, not easy to understand. Thank you

Hi, Yolanda,
I agree with Doug that this is a very tight connection. All the more reason not to check anything. I have made a connection at Heathrow in 20 minutes, but I have also missed a connection in Madrid with two hours between flights. It just depends on luck and timing, so I wish you the best.

I know it's too late for you to do anything about this, but I would urge others to consider buying the international and national plane tickets as one ticket. If the flight from Paris were on your international ticket, it would not be a worry -- if you missed the flight, the airlines would put you on the next flight. If you miss this Easy Jet flight, unless the agent is feeling generous, you will have to buy another ticket for the next flight. I am usually surprised at how little it costs to add on the cost of a domestic flight to my international ticket -- you have to do a little more data entry, but if you use the "multi city" option on most search engines, you can customize it to allow arrival, say in Pamplona, and departure from Santiago. And then any delays are not my problem -- one less thing to worry about. Buen camino, Laurie

If your flight arrives on time you have a prayer to make your connection but don't waste any time getting to your gate, don't get caught up in any lines trying to change terminals to get to your next gate. The immigration process is a lot smoother these day but if you check your bag you won't make it to the next terminal, so don't check it!
Once you are at CDG just keep asking lots of questions about the directions to your next gate.
You have asked lots of questions on this forum and been given many good answers, keep notes it will save you lots of angst.
Once you arrive at the Biarritz airport there is city bus from the airport to the the Bayonne train station. At the train station you can buy a ticket to SJPdP, as of several days ago that trip is now on a bus several times a day. The schedule is going to depend on your arrival time.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have a hiking staff in sections and put it in my pack. I was going to take it out before I go through security, until I read this! Guess I will leave it in!

I should add that you should be very sure it has a rubber tip. Most staffs have a flat metal cap...but be sure that it is covered with a rubber tip.
Remember that the TSA "should" only be looking for something that appears to be a weapon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Remember that the TSA "should" only be looking for something that appears to be a weapon.
Hmmm, I think that the national air safety regulators have a much broader remit to ensure that air travel is safe, including but not limited to weapons. Much of what is banned is about risks to aircraft safety generally, not passenger safety alone.

Buen camino, Laurie

We are from the US but will be flying European airlines Are Lingus and RyanAir, so we believe there will be restrictions.

Yes, the size and location of the airport you are using make all the difference. Sometimes going back out through security can make or break it. Save yourself the headache and plan on checking them. You can even ask right there where you check luggage before you even head through security. Then, if the answer is yes, you need to check them you are already clear to do that. If not then you can celebrate. Buen Camino. With the price of hiking poles I'd hate to have to choose between them and missing my flight. I just read the post above about those connections in Europe and I believe that you may want to try to carry on, but if you do check them check them to your final destination. (that way you don't have to go out through security, claim them and then go back through security or recheck)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are from the US but will be flying European airlines Are Lingus and RyanAir, so we believe there will be restrictions.
The restrictions are imposed by respective national air safety authorities, not by the airlines themselves, although they may also have rules about cabin baggage that preclude poles.

Previous posters have pointed to the ambiguity of the rules, and that there is no clear direction. I know that I found an interpretation table from one of the national air safety regulators that appeared to have several thousand items that were variants of the items on the TSA list. Walking poles appeared a couple of times (walking poles, trekking poles, etc) and given the same status as ski poles - not in the cabin.

That said, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that, in the US at least, the application of the ban by security staff varies widely. It seems that the only certainty is that there is a consistent standard at Santiago airport, and that is strict application of the rule.

Hmmm, I think that the national air safety regulators have a much broader remit to ensure that air travel is safe, including but not limited to weapons. Much of what is banned is about risks to aircraft safety generally, not passenger safety alone.

What dougfitz says is true plus, I would add that one should never try to Understand or Figure out the TSA. It can change overnight and you just have to roll with it. Being flexible and not getting upset will help all along your Camino. Plan ahead, but then just go with it. Enjoy the journey and expect the best as you go.

That said, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that, in the US at least, the application of the ban by security staff varies widely. It seems that the only certainty is that there is a consistent standard at Santiago airport, and that is strict application of the rule.

Hi, Doug, I know that you are a stickler for detail and accuracy, so I hope you will realize I offer this comment in that spirit. In the US, as far as I am aware, there is no variation in the practice by TSA security staff. I have never heard of anyone who was unable to carry hiking poles through security in any airport in the USA.

I also agree with rubyslippers that if you are going to be making a transfer in a European airport between the US and Spain, this near certainty goes out the window. All I can tell you is that getting on a plane with sticks in the US and getting off a plane in Spain has been my practice for years now.

But my anecdotal evidence on the practice in Santiago is completely the same as Doug's. On the way home, I always check my hiking poles because I have heard too many stories of sad pilgrims being parted from their trusty poles in the airport. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ryanair (and also) Easyjet seem to have probited the carrying of poles as cabin baggage.

From Ryanair website:

"8.10 PROHIBITED ARTICLES
8.10.1 Passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles in airport security restricted areas and the cabin of an aircraft:

8.10.1.1 Guns, Firearms & Weapons; any object capable, or appearing capable, of discharging a projectile or causing injury, including all firearms (pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc.) Replica and imitation firearms, Component parts of firearms (excluding telescopic sighting devices & sights), air pistols, rifles and pellet guns. Signal flare pistols, Starter pistols, Toy guns of all types, compressed air and CO2 guns such as pistols, pellet guns, rifles,ball bearing guns, industrial bolt and nail guns, cross bows, catapults, harpoon and spear guns, Animal humane killers, stun or shocking devices, e.g. stun guns, tasers, stun batons,cattle prods, ballistic conducted energy weapons (laser), lighters shaped like a firearm.

8.10.1.2 Pointed/edged Weapons & Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including axes & hatchets, cleavers, arrows and darts, crampons (grappling iron, hooked bar of iron, or plate with iron spikes used in mountaineering), harpoons & spears, ice axes & ice picks, ice skates, knives with blades of more than 6 cms including lockable or flick knives, ceremonial, religious and hunting knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon, meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks, scalpels, scissors with blades more than 6 cms as measured from the fulcrum, ski and walking/hiking poles, throwing stars, tradesman's tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cms that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapon, e.g. drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, chisels, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches."

Anyone taken poles in their carry-on from a Canadian airport?
I am from Canada and took my poles with me in my carry on back pack to all my Camino trips at Europe without much issue. I flew Air Canada and never have any issue with them about the poles. Each airline and airport authority would have their set of rules and guidelines, so check with your airline first. My walking poles are always fold up, neatly tugged inside of my back pack. Because my back pack is small, the top end of the poles is poking outside of the back pack. Usually I would wrap that part up with a soft cloth bag then tape them together with tape. On the way home after the Camino, I make sure the handle part of the poles is poking outside not the pointy tip part so security or airline people know that is a pair of walking pole. Always do carry on. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Dennis Tam. I am flying air canada and have folding poles that will fit inside the pack.

If your flight arrives on time you have a prayer to make your connection but don't waste any time getting to your gate, don't get caught up in any lines trying to change terminals to get to your next gate. The immigration process is a lot smoother these day but if you check your bag you won't make it to the next terminal, so don't check it!
Once you are at CDG just keep asking lots of questions about the directions to your next gate.
You have asked lots of questions on this forum and been given many good answers, keep notes it will save you lots of angst.
Once you arrive at the Biarritz airport there is city bus from the airport to the the Bayonne train station. At the train station you can buy a ticket to SJPdP, as of several days ago that trip is now on a bus several times a day. The schedule is going to depend on your arrival time.
Thank you, Yes I have asked a lot of questions,Sorry, I will right the information down.

Thank you Mark Lee. I do have a question I'm schedule to arrive to Paris airport at 0930, I purchase a local plane ticket,Easy Jet, that leaves to Biarritz at 11:AM, but closes the gate at 1030:AM Terminal 2D. I'm a bit worry not to make on time, can you tell me what you think? Also I could not figure out once I get to Biarritz airport if the train or bus to SPDP is easy to get. I looked at the info they have in a treat, not easy to understand. Thank you
Yes, like everyone else has said that is a tight schedule. Definitely don't check-in your backpack, carry it on and beeline it to your gate when you arrive.
As far as getting to SJPdP from Biarritz, it looks like Don has answered your question.
cheers

Hi, Yolanda,
I agree with Doug that this is a very tight connection. All the more reason not to check anything. I have made a connection at Heathrow in 20 minutes, but I have also missed a connection in Madrid with two hours between flights. It just depends on luck and timing, so I wish you the best.

I know it's too late for you to do anything about this, but I would urge others to consider buying the international and national plane tickets as one ticket. If the flight from Paris were on your international ticket, it would not be a worry -- if you missed the flight, the airlines would put you on the next flight. If you miss this Easy Jet flight, unless the agent is feeling generous, you will have to buy another ticket for the next flight. I am usually surprised at how little it costs to add on the cost of a domestic flight to my international ticket -- you have to do a little more data entry, but if you use the "multi city" option on most search engines, you can customize it to allow arrival, say in Pamplona, and departure from Santiago. And then any delays are not my problem -- one less thing to worry about. Buen camino, Laurie
No checking items just my backpack. Thank you:)

Yes, like everyone else has said that is a tight schedule. Definitely don't check-in your backpack, carry it on and beeline it to your gate when you arrive.
As far as getting to SJPdP from Biarritz, it looks like Don has answered your question.
cheers
Yes, he did in details. Thank you:)

That appears tight for an international to domestic connection at a large airport. My experience with this is that insurers I have used will not cover missed connections if you leave less than about six hours between flights. I guess that covers them for any inbound delays and the time it takes to get through immigration and customs, particularly at busy times of the day. I generally plan on it taking two hours to get through the entry formalities, and I am grateful if it takes less, but that also varies from airport to airport. It is a few years since I travelled through CDG, but I don't recall the process being that slick that you would make this connection, noting that I also travelled with checked bags. Others with recent experience of only carrying carry-on luggage might be able to give you more up to date information on how tight your timings are.
Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've confirmed that the Terminal in CDG for easyJet is 2D. Checked a few departures for easyJet and all are departing from Terminal 2D. Cheers.

Good comment about different airlines/different rules. I am taking my backpack on board in a small bag. I chose to wait and purchase my poles (or staff) in St. Jean for this reason. I know many have been able to carry poles (properly packaged) on board, but I don't want to take the chance that I may not be able to. Good luck.

Ryanair (and also) Easyjet seem to have probited the carrying of poles as cabin baggage.

From Ryanair website:

"8.10 PROHIBITED ARTICLES
8.10.1 Passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles in airport security restricted areas and the cabin of an aircraft:

8.10.1.1 Guns, Firearms & Weapons; any object capable, or appearing capable, of discharging a projectile or causing injury, including all firearms (pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc.) Replica and imitation firearms, Component parts of firearms (excluding telescopic sighting devices & sights), air pistols, rifles and pellet guns. Signal flare pistols, Starter pistols, Toy guns of all types, compressed air and CO2 guns such as pistols, pellet guns, rifles,ball bearing guns, industrial bolt and nail guns, cross bows, catapults, harpoon and spear guns, Animal humane killers, stun or shocking devices, e.g. stun guns, tasers, stun batons,cattle prods, ballistic conducted energy weapons (laser), lighters shaped like a firearm.

8.10.1.2 Pointed/edged Weapons & Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including axes & hatchets, cleavers, arrows and darts, crampons (grappling iron, hooked bar of iron, or plate with iron spikes used in mountaineering), harpoons & spears, ice axes & ice picks, ice skates, knives with blades of more than 6 cms including lockable or flick knives, ceremonial, religious and hunting knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon, meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks, scalpels, scissors with blades more than 6 cms as measured from the fulcrum, ski and walking/hiking poles, throwing stars, tradesman's tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cms that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapon, e.g. drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, chisels, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches."
Thank you for taking the time to post this information!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Be careful about discussing your accounts on this unencrypted site. I only wanted to know what banks charged the least expensive fees for ATM right now along the Frances. Not to open any new...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back