• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Bad weather and muddy trails

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
Time of past OR future Camino
Some hard hiking between Rabanal and Foncebadón today. Trails swamped in some places or very muddy. Cross is as spectacular as always.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 43
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is THE CAMINO! Mud happens...sometimes for weeks on end.

Personally, I detest mud more than the cold, rain, or even snow. But, it is a factor in most Caminos, except perhaps during the brutal, hot & dry summer months. You need to just accept, cope, and figure out how to minimize it.

The all-time worst mud situation I ever experienced was this April, walking out of Hospital de Orbigo. Some pinhead in the local government evidently determined that the 1,000 year old farm road that is also the main Camino route for centuries needed " improvement" for farm machinery use. So two stretches, the first about two kilometers, then another six kilometers, broken by a small village, were bulldozed, graded, and left as a wet, slick, gummy red clay-based mud. One supposes that gravel or cinders would be added, eventually. But that did not help the pilgrims. For us, the stretch was simply treacherous.

There was no good way to avoid it. The few pilgrims out there just sucked it up and soldiered on. After a time, the lugs of my Keen boots and both of my boots, were encased in several kilograms of this slimy mud. I fell several times, once bruising an already sore knee. On another fall, I bruised a hip and twisted a wrist.

But, this is the Camino. Mud is simply part of the experience . You deal with it, or go home...

Last edited:
..and this is why I profusely thanked those Romans every time the Camino coincided with a Roman trade road/calzada!! Those roads were so well leveled, smartly drained, and just the perfect use of stones to withstand rain, erosion, and use. Best example after Cirauqui, after Sahagun, before El Burgo Ranero. Gosh, GENIUS!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back