• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to Santiago de Compostela with an Assembled Bicycle

• Thread starter Former member 109910
  • Start date
F

Former member 109910

This fall, September 2023, we would like to travel by train, from Barcelona to Santiago de Compostela, with assembled touring bicycles with panniers. I am not sure which trains we should be looking for. We would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This fall, September 2023, we would like to travel by train, from Barcelona to Santiago de Compostela, with assembled touring bicycles with panniers. I am not sure which trains we should be looking for. We would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you.
Here:

A well known search engine would have got you there.

You're looking for MD (media distancia) or Cercanias (local trains) no assembled bikes allowed on the AVEs (fast trains). Along the North Coast is the FEVE train.

Why not ride some of the route, it's a long way to take touring bikes on the trains.

It would be interesting to know how you get on. Richard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Our plan is to train to Santiago, then cycle down the coast of Portugal and up the coast of Spain back to Barcelona. Due to the time of year, that we are traveling, September and October, we wanted to start in the north and be in the Mediterranean for October.
I like your idea we may have to bike some of the route to SDC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a list of the Media Distancia lines to see where you can access them. If you do use train it will take you days to get there due to the slowness of these lines.

Also a map to see the connections. It looks like you'll have a long ride to get to your first station so might need to ship the bikes to Santiago (Correos Paq Bicicleta).

Making some assumptions here:
you're Canadian so flying in to Barcelona with boxed bikes?
you're on a Camino de Santiago forum so wish to follow some Camino(s)?
you don't have time to a complete a circumnavigation of the Iberian peninsula?

Now some suggestions / ideas:
keep the bikes in their boxes, get across to the nearest Correos in Barcelona and as suggested by "Corned beef" use the paq bici service to send bikes to Pamplona / Bilbao / Santander / wherever. You are then unencumbered for up to two weeks to explore & travel before collecting bikes.
do the above in reverse; ride out of Barcelona towards Santiago, use MD / Cercanias / FEVE to hop along the route if necessary. When your time is up pack bikes, send to Correos office in Barcelona then train or bus to BCN.
use a mix of ride and public transport to help on your tour, bus networks such as ALSA & Rede Expresso will also take bikes as well as the trains.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I took my bike to Spain in 2015, I had it packed down as small/short as possible. It was still 1500mm. Thanks to a friendly conductor I was able to take in on a Media Distance train. The usual max length is 1250mm. The advice to ride parts of the Camino Frances is sound. But be careful on some of the busiest sections and slow down for walking pilgrims. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back