• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Barcelona to SJPD

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You pretty much have to get to Pamplona on the bus, train, or airplane, then take a bus or taxi to SJPdP. Check renfe.com for the train, and alsa.com for the bus (to Zaragoza, then to Pamplona). Iberia is the mostly likely airline for a flight to Pamplona.

Buen camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Renfe Cercanias/Rodalies R2 from Barcelona Airport to Barcelona Sants.

Take Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

Or continue to Barcelona Nord Estacion de Autobuses (the main bus station) by Rodalies R3 or R4 to Arc de Triomph and walk 400 meters to the station. ALSA operates buses from Barcelona Nord to Zaragosa and onward to Pamplona.

Conda (ALSA) operates an international bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. See ALSA international schedule. Note this is seasonal.

Other options include: train to Bayonne either via Irun or Toulouse, or plane to San Sebastian and bus or train to Bayonne (or Pamplona). There is train\bus service from Bayonne to SJPdP all year.

The critical factor is departure of last bus or train to SJPdP from Pamplona or Bayonne. If you arrive at Barcelona after 1000 you likely won't make it in one day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What is the best method of travel and how much time to allow?

Hi Kathy
I'd suggest - for the Pamplona to SJPdeP section, to try this:- Istvan will collect you from Pamplona bus or train station, take you back to the alburgue' Curazon Puro', dinner there, etc, you spend the night there and he drives you (and others) to SJPdeP in the morning early to start there. Link click here for more detail Curazon Puro

From Barcelona the train appears to be the best in my opinion. Roughly 4 hrs. Renfe site shows approx 3hrs 50 mins and they run pretty regularly it seems during the day.. At least every 2 hrs. from Barcelona Sants estacion. I booked a night at a hotel very close to the station so I could walk there in the morning, but if you stay in centre the commute is quick.
The bus Barcelona to Pamplona will take longer but many prefer bus travel.

Also, if you haven't booked your flight and you didn't need to stop in Barcelona.. - you could arrange your flight to end in Pamplona.

Buen Camino
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Buen Camino everyone. What is usually the plan once you reach Santiago. Can people walk back and stay at alberges on the return leg of the trip? Or do people just bus or train back to the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back