• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Bayonne to St Jean 15hrs?!?!

Astrid Callomon

Time of past OR future Camino
"Plan to hike in 2016
Hi!

I've been looking at transport from Bayonne to St Jean having flown into Biarritz and it seem all I can find is a 15hr + train!

Surely this isn't right?!

I thought it was around a 1.5 hr journey ......

Perhaps it's cheaper and easier to get a taxi to St Jean from Biarritz?

Has anyone got any idea of the cost for a taxi for this journey?

Though.... Trains abroad are fun!

Thanks

A

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Astrid, it should be about 1 to 1.5 hours by train, you could probably walk it in 15 hours. A taxi will cost you about €100 but you might get a few to share with you outside the Airport in Biarritz.
Buen Camino.

My wild guess is that the suggested journey goes via Paris as most travel in centralized France does. Have a look at Bayonne to Biarritz and Biarritz to St.Jean separately, travel time will be shorter. Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are at the Biarritz airport now take a bus to Bayonne SNCF ie Bayonne Gare ( railroad station). At the Bayonne rr station take the local train TER line 62 to SJPdP.

If you are at the Biarritz railroad station take any train to Bayonne and then the local TER line 62 to SJPdP.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino!

This may help. It is a link to the regional train site (in French):
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/horaires/recherche
Just enter a date and departing and arriving stations (gare). It only works for a couple of weeks in advance but you can see the duration and could be handy to look up close to the date you are arriving at Bayonne.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oops, for want of a silly decimal point, the journey becomes long...life happens...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum