• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bayonne/St. Jean travel question

StFina

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
I booked my train ticket from Paris to Bayonne for August of 2022 with no problem. However, the segment from Bayonne to St. Jean isn't open. Is there an alternate way to get to St. Jean, or will this train route open within 30 days of departure?

Also, I can't book my train from Pamplona to Sarria on Renfe. Does that also open only 30 days prior to departure? Much thanx - Steve

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
StFina,
There is no reserved seating on the TER local train from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Therefore you can buy that ticket in Bayonne.
Furthermore during the summer work is being done on the TER line and your train may be replaced by a bus. If so the bus ticket will be available at the train station.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

You might even be as lucky as I was where a bus was already waiting outside train station in Bayonne so all of us pre-Pilgrims if you will were directed towards it and driven straight to SJPDP
I already had a complete Paris SJPDP Ticket so I am not sure what the folks in situation similar to your had to do
Good luck and Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I booked my train ticket from Paris to Bayonne for August of 2022 with no problem. However, the segment from Bayonne to St. Jean isn't open. Is there an alternate way to get to St. Jean, or will this train route open within 30 days of departure?

Also, I can't book my train from Pamplona to Sarria on Renfe. Does that also open only 30 days prior to departure? Much thanx - Steve
When you arrive in Bayonne, buy your ticket to St Jean from the station. There is a manned ticket office and also ticket machines. No problems 😉
As @mspath mentioned, it may be a bus instead of the train if they are still doing works on the line (there have been a few landslides). The bus leaves just outside the station and it is the same ticket.

Pamplona to Sarria, I don’t know but the tourist office in Pamplona will advise you 🙂

Pamplona to Sarria by train? Simples! Train to Madrid, train to Ourense, train to Sarria. Other routes are available but will require research and luck.
Do not try to plan this journey in advance or prebook tickets. That way lieth madness. Merely cast yourself on the mercies of RENFE and the kindness of your gods. All will be well

I was able to book tickets from Bayonne to St Jean using Trainline last month. You can’t reserve which seat you want. It saves you a spot on the train. All ticket info is available on their app. We show this at train station with ID or are able to print ticket at station.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It saves you a spot on the train
Not exactly. Since there are no seat reservations it does not guarantee you a seat. On my last journey to SJPDP the train was so overcrowded that 15 people including myself were taken off the train by station staff before departure and we were taken to SJPDP by taxi at SNCF's expense.

Last edited:

Don't forget to pick up some of Bayonnes famous chocolate to snack on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pamplona to Sarria by train? Simples! Train to Madrid, train to Ourense, train to Sarria. Other routes are available but will require research and luck.
Do not try to plan this journey in advance or prebook tickets. That way lieth madness. Merely cast yourself on the mercies of RENFE and the kindness of your gods. All will be well
Or have a look at the Rome2Rio app 😁

I managed to buy tickets from Paris to Bayonne & from Bayonne to SJPP but there is only 15mins
time to change the train, so I wonder if it is easy to find the right train or find out if I should jump into a bus instead?

I managed to buy tickets from Paris to Bayonne & from Bayonne to SJPP but there is only 15mins
time to change the train, so I wonder if it is easy to find the right train or find out if I should jump into a bus instead?
kristainkeri,
If there is a train take it. The station is small with many lit screens showing the track for trains. Usually the TER waits for the passengers from the TGV train from Paris to board before leaving.

Ask any employee for help by showing your ticket. There will not be a bus if the train is running.

Good luck and Bon voyage!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
kristainkeri,
If there is a train take it. The station is small with many lit screens showing the track for trains. Ask any employee for help by showing your ticket. There will not be a bus if the train is running.

Thank you!

kristainkeri,
If there is a train take it. The station is small with many lit screens showing the track for trains. Usually the TER waits for the passengers from the TGV train from Paris to board before leaving.

Ask any employee for help by showing your ticket. There will not be a bus if the train is running.

I am wondering how often the train/bus to STJPP is offered every day? I will be arriving Bayonne via TGV at 11:03 am and would like to continue on to STJPP to commence the grand adventure and arrive in Orisson that evening. Thanks!

I am wondering how often the train/bus to STJPP is offered every day? I will be arriving Bayonne via TGV at 11:03 am and would like to continue on to STJPP to commence the grand adventure and arrive in Orisson that evening. Thanks!

I found this timetable and booked my ticket from it too

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kobe,
You can find French train times at SNCF.com
At the moment there are 5 TER trains to Saint Jean Pied de Port each day and the journey takes 1 hour 5 minutes.

Please do remember that there are no reserved seats on the TER.

Last edited:
As @mspath already mentioned: Bayonne is a very small trainstation.
From Bayonne the train goes to Cambo les Bains, an even smaller trainstation.
The train cannot continue from there, all the passengers have to get out there and take the bus that is waiting there for the train-passengers. The traintracks between Cambo les Bains and Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port were destroyed last winter due to falling rocks.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The train cannot continue from there, all the passengers have to get out there and take the bus that is waiting there for the train-passengers. The traintracks between Cambo les Bains and Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port were destroyed last winter due to falling rocks.
How good to know! Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

We had booked a private taxi/van/car from Bayone for about 35$ CDN per person. Google it.

15 minutes is sufficient time. It is a very small trainstation and there are people from the station to show you the way. Don’t worry! Buen Camino!

We had booked a private taxi/van/car from Bayone for about 35$ CDN per person. Google it.
35 CDN equals € 26,00. This is the price for a shared taxi with at least three other passengers, so it isn't a private taxi.
The trainticket is € 10,50.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks. That explains many of the facts that did not seem to line up!

Kobe,
You can find French train times at SNCF.com
At the moment there are 5 TER trains to Saint Jean Pied de Port each day and the journey takes 1 hour 5 minutes.

Please do remember that there are no reserved seats on the TER.

Thanks. I was looking for an option that provided transport to STJPP once the Paris TGV arrived at Bayonne at 11:03 am but departed prior to the train scheduled for later in the afternoon. It sounds like the good folks at the Bayonne station will be able to provide a solution!

Thanks. I was looking for an option that provided transport to STJPP once the Paris TGV arrived at Bayonne at 11:03 am but departed prior to the train scheduled for later in the afternoon. It sounds like the good folks at the Bayonne station will be able to provide a solution!
Kobe,
There are usually a taxi or two outside the station in Bayonne to speed you on your way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was on the train on Friday, from Bidarray to Bayonne, so it is currently running.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back