• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beasain pilgrim's Albergue Hospitalero: OPENED FROM 11 MARCH 2024

Mendizale

Time of past OR future Camino
Exploring the mountain Saiatz trail/Camino Vasco
I have just been speaking with Javier this morning. Very kind and helpful hospitalero. He showed me the albergue and we chatted for a while. As I just said, it's just opened from 11th march until ending October. Nice number of pilgrims stayed already, as this albergue its getting so famous.

Telephone number: 0034 747486770 (mobile phone)

¡Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We speaked about the Saiatz alternative (2 stages by the mountains from Hernani to Zegama, the last town before San Adrian tunnel), he didn't even hear about it... He isn't local, just came from other region to do the voluntary work. Gronze doesn't mention it, but in this forum is well described. I told him that maybe many pilgrims decide in Hernani to take the valley trail in order of the mountain one, because in Bidania there aren't affordable alternatives to stay by night. But what pilgrims don't know is that Bidania is VERY WELL CONNECTED TO TOLOSA BY BUS TO 05 line. Tolosa is a nice town to have a nice dinner or eat some pintxos.

Last edited:
We speaked about the Saiatz alternative (2 stages by the mountains from Hernani to Zegama, the last town before San Adrian tunnel), he didn't even hear about it... Gronze doesn't mention it, but in this forum is well described. I told him that maybe many pilgrims decide in Hernani to take the valley trail in order of the mountain one, because in Bidania there aren't affordable alternatives to stay by night. But what pilgrims don't know is that Bidania is VERY WELL CONNECTED TO TOLOSA BY BUS TO 05 line. Tolosa is a nice town to have a nice dinner or eat some pintxos.
I uploaded bus Tolosa-Bidania and Bidania -Tolosa timetables. As you can see it is very well connected doing this Saiatz trail a real possibility.

Attachments

• IMG_20240321_114839.jpg
    IMG_20240321_114839.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I told Javier the idea of hearing from Bidania in 3b stage of the Vasco but getting away from the Saiatz in the crossway to Mandubia and going straight down to Beasain albergue hospitalero. Doing this a pilgrim would enjoy the so nice mountain sights and Beasain hospital albergue both in one.

I did it yesterday. Took the bus from Tolosa to Bidania, 19 km picturesque walk, but no crossing almost anybody, some day hikers like me.

Hope I could help somebody!

I told Javier the idea of hearing from Bidania in 3b stage of the Vasco but getting away from the Saiatz in the crossway to Mandubia and going straight down to Beasain albergue hospitalero. Doing this a pilgrim would enjoy the so nice mountain sights and Beasain hospital albergue both in one.

I did it yesterday. Took the bus from Tolosa to Bidania, 19 km picturesque walk, but no crossing almost anybody, some day hikers like me.

Hope I could help somebody!
Here some pictures of the walk. Before getting away from Saiatz I went up to Murumendi mountain summit, magnifique views of the basque Highlands. That summit it is an archeological sight, there is an Iron Age village under the ground.
I also walked up to Usurbe mountain just before going down to the town, it's the best Mirador to the valley.

Attachments

• IMG-20240321-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0009.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-20240320-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20240320-WA0006.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20240321-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0015.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20240321-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0010.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20240321-WA0013(1).jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0013(1).jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20240321-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0014.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20240321-WA0012(1).jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0012(1).jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The albergue

Attachments

• IMG-20240321-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0017.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-20240321-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0018.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20240321-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0016.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 20
Thanks a lot for all the information. You are an angel!😍 My friend and I are starting the Camino Vasco on the 28th of April and we absolutely want to do the first stage of this Saiatz variant to Bidanea and then by bus to Tolosa. If the weather permits, of course. We are just a little bit uneasy about it, because, we are planning to stay the night of stage 1 in Santiagomendi, which adds some 6km to it, alltogether ca. 35km. I hope it is marked somehow. What do you think, Mendizale, too much for 2 pelegrinas on the second day of walking?🧐
We like the hilly walking, though.🤩

Thanks a lot for all the information. You are an angel!😍 My friend and I are starting the Camino Vasco on the 28th of April and we absolutely want to do the first stage of this Saiatz variant to Bidanea and then by bus to Tolosa. If the weather permits, of course. We are just a little bit uneasy about it, because, we are planning to stay the night of stage 1 in Santiagomendi, which adds some 6km to it, alltogether ca. 35km. I hope it is marked somehow. What do you think, Mendizale, too much for 2 pelegrinas on the second day of walking?🧐
We like the hilly walking, though.🤩
Hi Eva! Thank you very much for your review! The Saiatz alternative is Camino de Santiago and therefore is indicated with yellow arrows. I'm afraid I can't answer your question, I can't say if for you it's too much or something feasible to go 35 km up and down tracks on farm roads, and cross the Hernio mountain range.

What I can tell you is that for someone like me it would not be very possible, not enough time, because I like to stop to enjoy the views, to stop to enjoy the song of a robin, the flight of a vulture or an eagle passing close by, or to take a detour a few meters to stop and observe the remains of Neolithic tombs.

Besides, I don't think you would have time to stop at Zelatun and have some refreshments at the mountain bar.
If you were leaving from Hernani I think I would encourage you to do both stages. But leaving from Astigarraga, it might be better for you to reach Tolosa through the valley. And the next day take the bus to Bidania and do the Bidania -Beasania
and do the route Bidania -Beasain

I share the links of Wikiloc (I do not know if you know it is an app that requires an annual payment but in my opinion if you like walking in the mountains is very worthwhile) of the Basque government on this alternative Saiatz:

Stage 2b:

Stage 3b:

These are 30 and 33 consecutive km of up and downs to Zegama but through farmhouses and typical villages of Gipuzkoa. Pure delight, besides crossing the Hernio mountain range in the 2b and the Murumendi massif in the 3b.

The proposal that I proposed was in the 3b: Start from Bidania the road to Santiago following the yellow arrows, climb to the top of the Murumendi which is 50 meters higher than the trail and , from the Murumendi mountain down to Beasain. To do this, leave behind the road to Santiago 500 meters ahead at the junction that turns to the sale of Mandubia, and pull straight towards Beasain. So explained it seems complicated but with the help of Wikiloc it is super simple. I absolutely recommend climbing the peaks of Murumendi and Usurbe have views of the valleys, the mountains, that remove the hiccups.

It would be to follow this path (but instead of leaving from Albiztur, leave from Bidania. Once in the farmhouse Venta de Santutxu, follow the whole route:

¡Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ezkerrik asko, Mendizale! Thank you million times. This is the best answer possible .. 🤗 Absolutely great! Respect! Yes, it's about stopping for good views, about listening to the birds, about enjoying the camino.. So we will follow your advice and prolong the 1st stage to Hernani. And then we'll see. If the weather is fine we are going to do the variant according to your advice. Yes, I know Wikiloc. It's not widely used in our country, but we already used it in Spain, so we'll do it again.🙂 By the way Zelatun is only open at the end of the week, unfortunately it will be closed for us. Thank you again, wish you all the best..🙂

Ezkerrik asko, Mendizale! Thank you million times. This is the best answer possible .. 🤗 Absolutely great! Respect! Yes, it's about stopping for good views, about listening to the birds, about enjoying the camino.. So we will follow your advice and prolong the 1st stage to Hernani. And then we'll see. If the weather is fine we are going to do the variant according to your advice. Yes, I know Wikiloc. It's not widely used in our country, but we already used it in Spain, so we'll do it again.🙂 By the way Zelatun is only open at the end of the week, unfortunately it will be closed for us. Thank you again, wish you all the best..🙂
Ez horregatik! You are welcome! Hope you'll have good weather!

Hi Eva! Thank you very much for your review! The Saiatz alternative is Camino de Santiago and therefore is indicated with yellow arrows. I'm afraid I can't answer your question, I can't say if for you it's too much or something feasible to go 35 km up and down tracks on farm roads, and cross the Hernio mountain range.

What I can tell you is that for someone like me it would not be very possible, not enough time, because I like to stop to enjoy the views, to stop to enjoy the song of a robin, the flight of a vulture or an eagle passing close by, or to take a detour a few meters to stop and observe the remains of Neolithic tombs.

Besides, I don't think you would have time to stop at Zelatun and have some refreshments at the mountain bar.
If you were leaving from Hernani I think I would encourage you to do both stages. But leaving from Astigarraga, it might be better for you to reach Tolosa through the valley. And the next day take the bus to Bidania and do the Bidania -Beasania
and do the route Bidania -Beasain

I share the links of Wikiloc (I do not know if you know it is an app that requires an annual payment but in my opinion if you like walking in the mountains is very worthwhile) of the Basque government on this alternative Saiatz:

Stage 2b:

Stage 3b:

These are 30 and 33 consecutive km of up and downs to Zegama but through farmhouses and typical villages of Gipuzkoa. Pure delight, besides crossing the Hernio mountain range in the 2b and the Murumendi massif in the 3b.

The proposal that I proposed was in the 3b: Start from Bidania the road to Santiago following the yellow arrows, climb to the top of the Murumendi which is 50 meters higher than the trail and , from the Murumendi mountain down to Beasain. To do this, leave behind the road to Santiago 500 meters ahead at the junction that turns to the sale of Mandubia, and pull straight towards Beasain. So explained it seems complicated but with the help of Wikiloc it is super simple. I absolutely recommend climbing the peaks of Murumendi and Usurbe have views of the valleys, the mountains, that remove the hiccups.

It would be to follow this path (but instead of leaving from Albiztur, leave from Bidania. Once in the farmhouse Venta de Santutxu, follow the whole route:

¡Buen Camino!
Hi again, Yesterday I did again Bidania -Beasain trail, almost no asphalt. Took the bus TO 05 at 9:00 in Tolosa and I was already in Bidania 20 minutes later. Bus was perfectly in time.

The track starts from Bidania's church, follows the yellow arrows until Murumendi mountain and later after descending from mount Usurbe, the route crosses the most beautiful places in Beasain: the rural neighborhood of Erauskin, the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Ascensión, the Plaza de San Martín, Calle Mayor (we call it Kale Nagusia) and It ends at the pilgrim albergue located in the Igartza monumental complex (XVI century).

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi again, Yesterday I did again Bidania -Beasain trail, almost no asphalt. Took the bus TO 05 at 9:00 in Tolosa and I was already in Bidania 20 minutes later. Bus was perfectly in time.

The track starts from Bidania's church, follows the yellow arrows until Murumendi mountain and later after descending from mount Usurbe, the route crosses the most beautiful places in Beasain: the rural neighborhood of Erauskin, the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Ascensión, the Plaza de San Martín, Calle Mayor (we call it Kale Nagusia) and It ends at the pilgrim albergue located in the Igartza monumental complex (XVI century).

Eskerrik asko, bihotz-bihotzez!😍 This is exactly what we intend to do.:D
But if the weather is ok we also wish to do the first stage of the variante Saiatz, from Hernani to Bidania. And then to Tolosa by bus. And the next day back to Bidania by bus as you suggested to walk to Beasain.
As you can see we are finishing our first day of the camino in Hernani to make it possible, because it's a long one. Do you know this part (Hernani-Bidania) as well? I hope the paths are walkable - not ruined by the storms or fallen trees all over or covered by a deep mud beacuse of some heavy vehicles ...:rolleyes:
We will download your track, if you don't mind. :)

Do you know this part (Hernani-Bidania) as well? I hope the paths are walkable - not ruined by the storms or fallen trees all over or covered by a deep mud beacuse of some heavy vehicles ...:rolleyes:
2b stage is mainly farm houses roads until Venta de Iturriotz before ascending to Zelatun. Yes you can cross some mud paths paths as well I think. Mud is an important feature in basque mountains.
Ongi etorri Euskal Herrira, welcome to the Basque Country and Buen Camino!

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back