• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Intersecting the Vasco – will they let me stay at Albergue Beasain?

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
This is a tricky scenario for a (possible) start of my 2024 camino.
I will (probably) arrive from Ireland on the ferry to Bilbao with my bike. Then I head for Zumaia where I will explore the geopark for 2 or 3 days.
After that I need to get to my starting point on the Francés at Estella.

So, I can head due south from Zumaia to Beasain. @Tincatinker enthusiastically mentioned the Albergue there in another recent thread. I looked it up on Gronze and it looks fabulous, but at the end of the many hugely positive reviews is a negative one by a pilgrim who was refused entry because his credential was blank after 2 days wild camping from Irun I think.
Now, my camino won’t ‘officially’ start until Estella. So I may suffer the same fate. Any thoughts from the old hands?

After Beasain I’ll continue south through Zudaire, using private accommodation. Of course I can do that at Beasain too, but it would be a shame to miss the albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That albergue is fabulous, probably the nicest I've ever stayed in.
There is not likely to be a crowd. And you are headed to the Camino Frances, right?
To be on the safe side, why not start in Zumaia and get stamps in your credencial? On a bike you could partly follow the route described in The Westward Walk, from Zumaia going to Beasain through Zestoa and Azpeitia - then from there to Zudaire?

(Ummm, I assume following the road via Alsasua? You'll be missing the Tunel San Adrien, but from Alsasua could detour to have a look at the fabulous peak of Beriain, jutting like the prow of a ship into the valley below. @caminka posted some fabulous photos here:

Last edited:
@Peregrinopaul I think this is an issue wherein you have confused yourself. You are starting from Bilbao on your bike and cycling to Estella (perhaps by an indirect route but hey) thence cycling to Santiago. Sounds to me like your pilgrimage starts in Bilbao. So start getting your Credencial stamped in Bilbao and in other places on your way and when you get to Beasain the lovely hospitalers will look at your credencial and have no difficulty offering you a bed.

If anyone thinks that would be cheating I urge them to try riding a bike from Bilbao to Estella to Santiago by any route they choose ;)

I wish you good riding and comfy bunks....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I remember that gronze "review" but it was because he had no credential at all. Lots of municipal and association albergues have rules that require you to have a credential as evidence you are a "real" pilgrim.

I'd try and get a few stamps on the credencial before reaching Beasain. I had my credential stamped in the ferry terminal in Dublin so I suspect Rosslare should have one too, they might even have one onboard (on the VF I got one on the Dover-Calais ferry). Count it all a camino-Rosslare, get a stamp in Bilbao, Zumaia, one on the way to Beasain -etc. And say you are going on to the Camino Frances. Even if its not an official "route"

This is a tricky scenario for a (possible) start of my 2024 camino.
I will (probably) arrive from Ireland on the ferry to Bilbao with my bike. Then I head for Zumaia where I will explore the geopark for 2 or 3 days.
After that I need to get to my starting point on the Francés at Estella.

So, I can head due south from Zumaia to Beasain. @Tincatinker enthusiastically mentioned the Albergue there in another recent thread. I looked it up on Gronze and it looks fabulous, but at the end of the many hugely positive reviews is a negative one by a pilgrim who was refused entry because his credential was blank after 2 days wild camping from Irun I think.
Now, my camino won’t ‘officially’ start until Estella. So I may suffer the same fate. Any thoughts from the old hands?

After Beasain I’ll continue south through Zudaire, using private accommodation. Of course I can do that at Beasain too, but it would be a shame to miss the albergue.
I would make sure I got a stamp in Bilbao and Zumaia, in particular Zumaia. Technically speaking you are then on camino. The fact that you are cycling down from Bilbao to Estella is neither here nor there. If you have a stamp from the day before and are travelling in the general direction of SDC, there is no reason for you to be refused entry to an albergue by any reasonably minded hospitalero.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can always say you are following in the footsteps of Bolitx, who wrote El Gran Caminante....because at least at first you will be, until the turn-off to the Tunel after Zegama. And his description of that stretch is so evocative.

That albergue is fabulous, probably the nicest I've ever stayed in.
Hi VN! I had a feeling that you'd chip in on this.
Yes, the road to Alsaua looks well within my capacity. I Did look closely at the route to the tunel, but I'm pretty sure that it would be much beyond my use-by date, unfortunately. The road over the Sierra de Urbasa looks beautiful, with impressive hair-pin bends at both ends.
I didn't know about Beriain. I've just watched a youtube. Formidably impressive. It reminds me of Suilven in the Scottish Highlands. Will consider a look-see from ground level!

@Peregrinopaul I think this is an issue wherein you have confused yourself. You are starting from Bilbao on your bike and cycling to Estella (perhaps by an indirect route but hey) thence cycling to Santiago. Sounds to me like your pilgrimage starts in Bilbao. So start getting your Credencial stamped in Bilbao and in other places on your way and when you get to Beasain the lovely hospitalers will look at your credencial and have no difficulty offering you a bed.

If anyone thinks that would be cheating I urge them to try riding a bike from Bilbao to Estella to Santiago by any route they choose ;)

I wish you good riding and comfy bunks....
Well yes, I guess you're right. I have to get from Bilbao to Estella somehow! I won't be staying in Bilbao, (I've been before) but will head out to Zumaia where I'll stay in commercial accommodation. But no reason why I can't stamp my way across country. It'll be more appropriate than arriving in Beasain with a blank credential. Thanks for your encoragement.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can always say you are following in the footsteps of Bolitx, who wrote El Gran Caminante....because at least at first you will be, until the turn-off to the Tunel after Zegama. And his description of that stretch is so evocative.
I'll check it out.
The book is still a go. In editing! I'll bring you up to speed in a PM,

I'll bring you up to speed in a PM,
Look forward to it.

I didn't know about Beriain. I've just watched a youtube. Formidably impressive. It reminds me of Suilven in the Scottish Highlands. Will consider a look-see from ground level!
That whole valley below it has deep history - lots of Neolithic menhirs on the slopes and a corridor for the Roman road West.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back