• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed vs. Food.... and other thoughts.

DesertRain

I am curious.... It seems that there are 10 or 20 or 50 posts about albergues and places to find a bed on this forum for every post about food. Yet every one of us eats multiple times each day and it is essential to helping us put one foot in front of the other. Why do you think that this is?

I am not ONLY foodie. I am very interested in the politics of food. In the U.S. we have one of the least healthy, least local and least just food systems in the world (although others are catching up). Food is essential to survival, an important part of ALL cultures, one of the largest drivers of ALL economies, etc. Yet we take it so much for granted.

Whatever the reason for it, I encourage people to be mindful of and thankful for food on the Camino. It nourishes our bodies and spirits. It is produced by people who work harder than most of us will ever have to work. It can build community. It is essential to creating health (or lack thereof). It drives economies. It builds and maintains culture.

For all of that, I am thankful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi! I think most of us would agree with you, and any trip to Spain makes you enjoy and appreciate food. I personally love the way that food is part of the Spanish culture. One of my favourite memories of my first Camino was seeing the streets full of couples and families of all ages coming out in Leon on a Sunday evening hand-in-hand making their way to their favourite restaurant to enjoy their food and each other at the end of the weekend.

I don't remember passing a single McDonalds or Burger King on the Camino Frances. I think there was one on the Ingles, though. :shock:

Maybe good food is just so plentiful on the Camino that we worry about it less than accommodation. Sit down with a beer and a plate of olives (my happy food) appears. Stop at the passing bread van (or 'pan van' as I call it) and get a fresh loaf for a simple lunch with Iberian ham. Perfect fuel.

Buen provecho, sorry, Camino!

Food, sleep, sex. If you have any two you can skip the third.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.