• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedbugs on Sarria-Santiago this year?

Irish guy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria-Santiago (2014)
Hello all. I will walk for the first time next week (Sept 2014) a section of the Camino - Sarria to Santiago. Hopefully the beginning of a life-long obsession!

I'm just wondering what bedbugs are like this year? I'll be staying in hostels all the way. Depending on what forums you read, they are either a massive problem, non-existent or just a reality of modern travel on the Camino.

Would love to hear any feedback and indeed useful tips on avoiding. I've bought a treated bedsheet and sleeping bag liner, but somewhat dubious as to whether they really do anything (both Life Venture products). I've heard Deet is fairly useless and that a substance called permethrin does work, but not the type of thing you can spray with wild abandon due to mild toxicity as it dries (and I can't find it in Ireland anyway, but had planned to treat my backpack etc).

Equally, if anyone had advice on what wet gear to bring, would be most grateful.

Please feel free to flag existing threads if that's the case (apologies if so on doubling-up)

Many thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Zero this year. Zero last year. Did meet some folks who an occasional "bite" - could be a bed bug - could be something else - don't worry! Enjoy...

I got bitten. Shame, cos it was a really nice alburgue. This was on the 14th August, so I am sure they have been sorted out by now.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also had a treated sleeping bag... but was too warm that night and slept without it.

Hello all. I will walk for the first time next week (Sept 2014) a section of the Camino - Sarria to Santiago. Hopefully the beginning of a life-long obsession!

I'm just wondering what bedbugs are like this year? I'll be staying in hostels all the way. Depending on what forums you read, they are either a massive problem, non-existent or just a reality of modern travel on the Camino.

Would love to hear any feedback and indeed useful tips on avoiding. I've bought a treated bedsheet and sleeping bag liner, but somewhat dubious as to whether they really do anything (both Life Venture products). I've heard Deet is fairly useless and that a substance called permethrin does work, but not the type of thing you can spray with wild abandon due to mild toxicity as it dries (and I can't find it in Ireland anyway, but had planned to treat my backpack etc).

Equally, if anyone had advice on what wet gear to bring, would be most grateful.

Please feel free to flag existing threads if that's the case (apologies if so on doubling-up)

Many thanks!
There is no problem about bed bugs in Sarria.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would not say there is "NO" problem.
Bedbugs are a given all along the Camino, especially after it warms up.

Whether or not you are bitten is a combination of whether you take precautions and a crap shoot.
Generally, you won't get bitten in private lodging because they have fewer beds and more control.
Generally, you won't get bitten in the winter, because they haven't hatched yet.
Generally, you will find more bugs in late spring, summer, and early fall.

Note I said "Generally."

MOST albergues keep a close watch on the situation and spray if the bugs are noted.
However, it's impossible to keep watch on every bed every day and on every peregrino that arrives.

The thing is.. if you are bitten, take action right away.
Wash EVERYTHING in hot soapy water.
Dry EVERYTHING in a hot dryer.
Spray EVERYTHING or put it in a black bag in the hot sun.
The little buggers love to hide in seams, pockets, and any dark place.
So you have to really look for them.

If you want to see how I've managed to pretty much avoid bedbugs, you can read my blog.
I've walked 7+ times and have gotten two bites in all those years.
The first was before I was aware of bedbugs.
The second was because I did not take precautions.

My blog is here:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

I would not say there is "NO" problem.
Bedbugs are a given all along the Camino, especially after it warms up.

Whether or not you are bitten is a combination of whether you take precautions and a crap shoot.
Generally, you won't get bitten in private lodging because they have fewer beds and more control.
Generally, you won't get bitten in the winter, because they haven't hatched yet.
Generally, you will find more bugs in late spring, summer, and early fall.

Note I said "Generally."

MOST albergues keep a close watch on the situation and spray if the bugs are noted.
However, it's impossible to keep watch on every bed every day and on every peregrino that arrives.

The thing is.. if you are bitten, take action right away.
Wash EVERYTHING in hot soapy water.
Dry EVERYTHING in a hot dryer.
Spray EVERYTHING or put it in a black bag in the hot sun.
The little buggers love to hide in seams, pockets, and any dark place.
So you have to really look for them.

If you want to see how I've managed to pretty much avoid bedbugs, you can read my blog.
I've walked 7+ times and have gotten two bites in all those years.
The first was before I was aware of bedbugs.
The second was because I did not take precautions.

My blog is here:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html
As I told you. There is no problem about bedbugs. And speak about this matter seems to me a nonsense. I have seen in my albergue so many people that have came very worried about beats that was not from bedbugs anymore. So many people speaking about bedbugs that not even know what bedbugs are. May be some people could carry bedbugs if they use their towels and blankets from sunbaths in gardens in farms environments, it is very nice and very grateful, but but if don't do so, it is almost impossible to get beats. Your advices about how to eliminate them are correct, but please stop talking about this matter like all the camino was spread of bedbugs.

I'm sorry but I disagree 100%.
Nothing that keeps people informed is "nonsense." :)

It is when we do NOT talk about the bugs that pilgrims do not understand and end up carrying them along the entire Camino, infecting other pilgrims and albergues.
Information helps, doesn't hurt, the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
With your permission...well, actually I'm using you for a training vehicle.
You have a question concerning "bed bugs".
Go to the top right hand corner of the page.
Click on the "Spy Glass" and type in "bed bugs".
You will find that the Forum is very responsive...both in response to a specific question by a member, or by entering a search word.

No problem, thanks for the pointer :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone - I took Arn at his word and perused the lengthy existing thread on this. I've come to the conclusion that beyond sensible precautions (e.g. checking mattress using spray method mentioned by Anniesantiago above ((thanks Annie!); using bed bug undersheet treated with permethrin as well as sleeping bag liner with similar protection ((both from Lifeadventure, slight dubious but what the hey!))), there is not much more to be done. I will wear a strong deet repellent daily but it seems it has no effect against bedbugs. I am going to try track down permethrin as a spray here in Ireland (no luck so far) or failing that in pharmacy over there to treat my bag at any rate (unsure if I should just do outside or inside bag as well - anyone know?).

Hopefully won't encounter them. Fingers crossed!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can get Permethrin on Amazon.co.uk. I got some this April past.

Thanks for all the replies everyone - I took Arn at his word and perused the lengthy existing thread on this. I've come to the conclusion that beyond sensible precautions (e.g. checking mattress using spray method mentioned by Anniesantiago above ((thanks Annie!); using bed bug undersheet treated with permethrin as well as sleeping bag liner with similar protection ((both from Lifeadventure, slight dubious but what the hey!))), there is not much more to be done. I will wear a strong deet repellent daily but it seems it has no effect against bedbugs. I am going to try track down permethrin as a spray here in Ireland (no luck so far) or failing that in pharmacy over there to treat my bag at any rate (unsure if I should just do outside or inside bag as well - anyone know?).

Hopefully won't encounter them. Fingers crossed!

You can get Permethrin on Amazon.co.uk. I got some this April past.
I don't want to go on on this issue.
I just wanted to answer the question about bedbugs in Sarria.
I'm the owner of a new albergue in Sarria named "Alma do Camiño" and all I have to say is that there is no problem with bedbugs.
Maybe would be problems with blisters, with a twister ankle, with a tendinitis, with a contracture even with a some stupid mosquito but no with bedbugs.
Enjoy the Camino. And you know the words: "no pain, no glory"
Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks all - Amazon would be a good bet but my poor planning on this front rules that out (I leave in less than two days time :) )

I found a horrible industrial version in local hardware store in Ireland (slightly different substance name, kills fleas as well as bed bugs). I did a quick Google and turns out the FDA in the US has ruled it unfit for humans in some substances (research showed increase risk of cancer in animal testing :( ). Amazed at Ireland's lax regulations on that front. Safer to wait until I get to Spain but no biggie if I can't find it - doesn't sound like it is a major issue for most. Thanks sincerely for your help.

Shouldn't be a problem, I'v been back 3 weeks, stayed predominantly in the Xunta/Junta hostels and had no problem. Also didn't here anyone else complaining of them in that stretch (though I began alone I ended up with about 10-15 others by the time we reached Santiago) Only place I heard of any real problem was Triacastela, but thats pre-Sarria. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry to be a dissenter, but I was in Santiago until yesterday and there was a bed bug attack in one of the dorms. Nasty, nasty welts on people from the bites.
Initially the staff were in denial, but by the end of the day the room had been cleared and sprayed and they were closing that floor. But as far as I was concerned, it was an accident waiting to happen, as no precautions were taken - no bedding supplied, so people wouldn't use their own, no buckets for packs, no shelves so people wouldn't put packs on beds, rooms cleaned only with a broom, not a vacuum cleaner, and general cleaning not to a high standard.

Last edited:
Sorry lads. I ve been 3 times on the camino and have never experienced any thing of the sort. I do carry my own pillow case and use a light single sheet ferrino bivy which is breatable but of the slippery kind of material which probably stops any insects from penetrating tbe material. I do try and avoid using some old grotty albergues with old mattresses and do not supply disposable bedsheets.

I suppose it has to do with common sence. Buen camino

Many thanks!

Many thanks!
I will arrive I'm Santiago this sun 14th sept so have just been in the section you are talking about. Have walked from SJPDP over 3 yrs. never encountered bugs. Lucky maybe ? Stayed in dodgy place last night in Palais de Re, Albergue Buen Camino, def give it a miss! Don't be afraid to check a place out, you'll know good from bad. Enjoy.

I do carry my own pillow case and use a light single sheet ferrino bivy which is breatable but of the slippery kind of material which probably stops any insects from penetrating tbe material. I do try and avoid using some old grotty albergues with old mattresses and do not supply disposable bedsheets.

Sorry to break it to you, but the bugs do not "penetrate" the material. :rolleyes:
They crawl.:oops:
Across the wall, across the floor, from your neighbor's bed to yours, up the bedpost and ONto your bed.:eek:
Then they quietly steal beneath the covers, drawn by your body heat and chemistry.

They silently inject an anticoagulant, :confused:
then they drink your blood like Dracula, until they're full, leaving behind a nasty, itching welt for those who have allergies.:(

If you haven't seen or heard of bedbugs on the camino, it's pure luck, nothing you've done.
:p

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As stated in a couple of other posts, you do have to be a bit choosy about where you stay if you want to avoid getting bitten by the dreaded bedbug. Look for albergues that are clean and that have mattresses with some type of rubber/vinyl/plastic encasing them. I would not think a bedbug could live in a mattress like that. If the albergue uses mattresses of the traditional nature (bare cloth) I imagine the critter crawls inside that and later comes out after dark to feed. If you have a sleeping bag and get bitten, then it's probably safe to say your bag is now home for bedbug(s) and you will need to treat it somehow to kill them. They are inside of it, in the insulation. Prevention is probably the best remedy.
Two Caminos for me and zero bedbug encounters.
Bed-bug-9-3-10-web.jpg

Sorry to break it to you, but the bugs do not "penetrate" the material. :rolleyes:
They crawl.:oops:
Across the wall, across the floor, from your neighbor's bed to yours, up the bedpost and ONto your bed.:eek:
Then they quietly steal beneath the covers, drawn by your body heat and chemistry.

They silently inject an anticoagulant, :confused:
then they drink your blood like Dracula, until they're full, leaving behind a nasty, itching welt for those who have allergies.:(

If you haven't seen or heard of bedbugs on the camino, it's pure luck, nothing you've done.
:p
"The most common place to find bed bugs will be in the mattress and foundation or box springs. However, sometimes bed bugs may be found in locations farther away from the bed – 30 feet away or more. Sofas in the same room as the infested bed is likely to be housed by bed bugs as well."

Found that info on the net (tons of websites about the nasty little critters).

Ah Bed Bugs. I walked last Setp/Oct and was very fortunate not to encounter any bed bugs. However, I new a number of people who had been bitten by these critters at various times and at various places and they were not very happy about it. I do not like using pesticides so I tried using Lavender Oil. Did it work or was I just fortunate not to be bitten? I cannot say for sure. I did discuss it with several people and the thought was that the oil (scent) may repel them. I took a few drops and rubbed it along the edge of the mattress. A couple of drops for my bag and pillow case. Me not getting bit does not prove the oil works but the Lavender Oil is soothing and I smelled not too bad. I will take my chances with Lavender Oil as opposed to pesticides next time also. Any feed back on the use of any oil would be appreciated. And Mr Irish Guy, enjoy your walk, every moment, every breathe, every new encounter. Buen Camino

Sorry to be a dissenter, but I was in Santiago until yesterday and there was a bed bug attack in one of the dorms. Nasty, nasty welts on people from the bites.
Initially the staff were in denial, but by the end of the day the room had been cleared and sprayed and they were closing that floor. But as far as I was concerned, it was an accident waiting to happen, as no precautions were taken - no bedding supplied, so people wouldn't use their own, no buckets for packs, no shelves so people wouldn't put packs on beds, rooms cleaned only with a broom, not a vacuum cleaner, and general cleaning not to a high standard.
Hi Bernice. Where did you stay in Santiago. We going 5 star sun and mon but were going to head to 500 bed place today, sat to have short walk in on sin morning. Is that where you stayed ?

"The most common place to find bed bugs will be in the mattress and foundation or box springs. However, sometimes bed bugs may be found in locations farther away from the bed – 30 feet away or more. Sofas in the same room as the infested bed is likely to be housed by bed bugs as well."

Found that info on the net (tons of websites about the nasty little critters).

Yes, they do live in the mattress but if there's no hole in the mattress cover, they've no way to get inside, in which case they often are found along the mattress seams. I've also seen them OFTEN inside holes where the hardware is housed in wooden or metal bedframes. I've found nests of them behind pictures on the wall in a convent. I've found them in dresser drawers. And I've seen them in the holds of the busses pilgrims frequent. I've also seen their "poop" all over walls next to a bed, and in lockers.

My point is they do not come through the sheets or fly - they CRAWL off one bed and across the wall and floor and onto another bed.

If you sleep in your bivy with it zipped tight up to your neck, you are right, they probably won't get in. But your face and head and neck will be bitten if there are bugs in the area.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On my recent camino, about my 45th night over the 4, I finally had my 1st bed bug bites. A newish albergue I had stayed in previously, dorms were very clean in appearance, mattresses had those rubberised covers and disposable mattress covers supplied. A warm night so I ended sleeping on top of my treated silk liner but feeling cool during the night, pulled the folded blanket at the end of the bed over my legs which I believe to be the most probable source of the bugs. Had about 35 bites I could count but other than the persistent itch until I could get anti histamine cream no reaction to the bites. I'm not going to name the albergue or town other than to say it's after Sarria and before Santiago. I ended up binning a new silk liner bag rather than risk carrying forward. Think it really is a matter of luck sometimes as to whether you get bitten or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug
:eek:
Seamus

Last edited:
Okay, having seen bedbugs tonight, here's my related question--I am on the Camino right now, staying in a private room in an albergue. When I arrived I checked the mattress and around it and saw no sign of bugs. My permethrin treated backpack sat on a chair for a bit, but I moved it up the bathroom before opening it. I lay for awhile resting in the early afternoon, then was out for the day. Tonight I put the clean albergue sheets on the bed and lay there reading when a bedbug marched right across the bed. I lifted the sheet and saw a second.

I got a ziplock, captured it, and took it to the albergue worker. She responded with horror and found me another room on another floor. I went through every single thing in my bag as best I could while sitting on the bathroom floor before moving. I'm now lying on the new bed on my permethrin treated sleeping bag, wide awake at nearly 1am.

My question is whether I really need to treat my entire kit at this point. My bag was treated on the outside before I left , and it never touched the bed. My sleeping bag that I'm on now is treated. I seem to have caught it before I was bitten. I don't want to spread bed bugs, but I also don't want up spend a day treating things if it's not necessary.

For the record, the albergue worker came back and said she thought it wasn't bed bugs because it didn't match a photo on her phone. But I've looked at photos and it looks to me like ones a few stages before full adult. And there were at least two on the bed itself and no other bugs in the generally clean room.

Advice?

The best advice I've read on this issue is from Kanga, our fellow Forum member and veteran of many Caminos, who carries a can of permethrin-based insect spray with her. Each day, on arrival in the albergue dorm, she lightly and carefully sprays the mattress and pillow on her bunk (obviously being considerate of other pilgrims in the dorm) and waits ten minutes to see if there's any bed bug activity. Those horrible little critters don't like the spray, naturally, and they will move around. If you do see the bed bugs appear, alert the hospitaleros immediately so that they can take the appropriate action.

Of course, once you have the bites it's an entirely different story. Follow Anniesantiago's excellent advice if you're unlucky enough to be bitten. The wash has to be 60 degrees Celsius and the dryer has to be set on hot so the critters and eggs are nuked.

Cheers - Jenny

In Palais de Rey I saw a guy from Manchester who had horrendous bites from a couple of days before but I can't remember where. I also got bitten, but in a Hostal in Santiago (two sets of three). I woke up as I was being bitten, switched on the light and saw them. Ended up awake the rest of the night! I was the 5th time I have stayed in that Hostal and always enjoyed being there before. I guess I will not return there, after all - once bitten etc. :(

Hi all - well I got there and back safely. What a rewarding and worthwhile experience. I've blogged on it here (including the dreaded bedbugs) - http://presstmc.com/2014/12/06/burning-out-then-walk-the-walk-on-the-camino-de-santiago/

Thanks one and all for your advice - AnnieSantiago I hope you don't mind, but I linked to your blog within mine. I also recommended this forum generally. Buen Camino for now friends and on to dreaming of another trip!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back