• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best and worst!

kristinsell

Hey everyone,
As I'm closing in on the time for my trip (i leave 2 weeks from today) I'm wondering if everyone could share their best and worst experiences while on the camino...
I'm getting extremely excited.. but i'm also a little nervous!
Also, what is the most essiential thing you brought, and what did you wish you left behind?
Thanks!
Blessings to those on the trail now, and those leaving shortly!

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kristin, I also leave 2 weeks from today! :shock: Which route are you following? I'll be starting from SJPdP, but not until May 4, & will be ending in Burgos. I hope to meet up with you!

dg

Best:
Being left on my own by my 'friend' to continue on alone
Meeting lots of lovely, lovely people (some of whom I still speak to regularly)
Seeing Spain in a different way to the way many perceive it
Suffering (!)
Finding a part of myself that I didn't realise existed.

Worst:
Blisters
Dehydration even after drinking lots of water
stomach bug
Getting up at 6am or early starts to irritate after a while!

Positives outweigh the shorter termed negatives though :)

Buen Camino :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The best:

entering the cathedral in Santiago;
walking alone in the early morning with birds singing;
an Austrian young man offering me cleaned and cool grapes on a sun baked trail before Burgos;
the hospitaleras in Roncevales;
arriving on top of OCebreiro.

The worst:

3 days with bed bugs;
10 days of continuous rain;
the thirst on the Meseta, jetlag included;
first blisters.

I could add pages to "best", I had to struggle to get "worsts". This is but a reflexion of how wonderful is the Camino

Minkey said:
... Being left on my own by my 'friend' to continue on alone ...
Funny, I have heard that so many times now, seems to be quite normal, doesn't it?

Well, I won't have this problem, because I want to walk the Camino alone anyway. That's at least what I'm saying now... Time will show.

Yesterday we wtached a swedish movie about a world famous conductor coming back to his home town somewhere in Sweden. His words when asked why he did that were "I'm here to listen". That rung a bell inside me. I talk far too much. It's time to listen. Maybe the Camino is the best way to start that.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic. As I said: I talk too much....

One of the best: Pilgrim's blessing at the church of Santiago, Jaca.

One of the worst: Getting lost on my first Camino...until I was taught that, when that happens, think: Become calm. I have enough water with me, and fruits, and health bar. I won't be thirsty or hungry. It's daylight and there's still a lot of time to go before it gets dark. All I have to do is go back through the same way I came, until I see a yellow arrow, a pile of stones, or something indicating the right road. Follow it. The next time I got lost & found my way, calmly, I felt great. The implications went beyond that particular, physical, experience. Since then, I look forward to having fun getting lost, and finding my way, again, and again.

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm 8)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Best : A steaming cafe con leche & tortilla espanole after the first
8 or 10 kms in the morning !!

Worst : The emotional good-byes in Santiago when all the wonderful
people you've shared your camino with depart for their
respective Homelands.

Kristin,have a safe & fulfilling camino,Les

Howie... It was part of the experience. He showed me that he wasn't really a friend at all... In reverse, I met some of the nicest people as a result. Weird? I don't think so...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.