• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte - Where best for major celebration

PhilB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Norte July ‘24
Kimono Kodo ‘23
Hi, I’m walking the Norte this July and August. We have a major celebration whilst on the walk. It will fall approximately two days after we leave Gijon. What are the views on the best town to stop between Aviles and Soto de Luna? I’m thinking of Soto del Barca or going off the track to San Esteban de Pravia. All views are welcome.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It really does depend on what kind of thing you are after?

But the first place that comes to mind is Cudillero on the coast, one of the most beautiful fishing villages in Asturias or even Spain for that matter. It has some nice restaurants and would be wonderful to spend an extended overnight stop there.

I normally stay in Oviñana when around there, but that's with my car. But I have previously stayed at this place which is beautiful and would be a bit of a treat. You can stroll into the village for drinks and dinner.

Remember August can be busy though, especially on the coast.

It really does depend on what kind of thing you are after?

But the first place that comes to mind is Cudillero on the coast, one of the most beautiful fishing villages in Asturias or even Spain for that matter. It has some nice restaurants and would be wonderful to spend an extended overnight stop there.

I normally stay in Oviñana when around there, but that's with my car. But I have previously stayed at this place which is beautiful and would be a bit of a treat. You can stroll into the village for drinks and dinner.

Remember August can be busy though, especially on the coast.
Thank you. I shall check it out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That was exactly my first reaction. I stayed once in a very nice hotel rural in an old stone house with flower boxes with a lot of charm. Not fancy, but very comfortable. Looking at the map, it most likely was Casona del Pio. And had an excellent seafood meal in a restaurant down near the harbor. Again looking at google maps anad some pictures, I think it was Restaurante Los Arcos, but you could get tood recommendations once you’re there.

Cudillero is touristy, but not overrun, and spending a night there after all the day trippers are gone is really wonderful. Walks out along the quay will give you beautiful views back to the town at night.

Another option would be to “turn left” after Villaviciosa and take the route down to Oviedo. This is before Gijón, but might fit into your schedule as well.

If you are more interested in a city celebration, this would be a great place - wonderful restaurants and just a very beautiful city. There’s a real splurge place to stay there, too. The Hotel Reconquista in an 18th century building. I’ve stayed there as a tourist, and I see that it is now a Eurostars hotel. In my experience, Eurostars does a really great job with nice hotels in old buildings!

If you do walk down to Oviedo, you can easily rejoin the Norte by taking a route (different than the one you came south on) that goes directly from Oviedo to Avilés in a day. I’ve done this several times and the route is now much better marked and makes for a fairly easy day. Or of course you can switch to the Primitivo in Oviedo. So many choices, but no bad decisions. And don’t get me started on the detour to the pre-romanesque church of Valdediós that comes after Villaviciosa. If you’re a fan of ancient architecture this is one not to be missed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another option would be to “turn left” after Villaviciosa and take the route down to Oviedo. This is before Gijón, but might fit into your schedule as well.

If you are more interested in a city celebration, this would be a great place - wonderful restaurants and just a very beautiful city. There’s a real splurge place to stay there, too. The Hotel Reconquista in an 18th century building. I’ve stayed there as a tourist, and I see that it is now a Eurostars hotel. In my experience, Eurostars does a really great job with nice hotels in old buildings!

If you do walk down to Oviedo, you can easily rejoin the Norte by taking a route (different than the one you came south on) that goes directly from Oviedo to Avilés in a day. I’ve done this several times and the route is now much better marked and makes for a fairly easy day. Or of course you can switch to the Primitivo in Oviedo. So many choices, but no bad decisions. And don’t get me started on the detour to the pre-romanesque church of Valdediós that comes after Villaviciosa. If you’re a fan of ancient architecture this is one not to be missed.
Great ideas thank you everyone.

I absolutely loved Cudillero last spring and thankfully it was recommended to me by @peregrina2000 beforehand, as it is off the main trail.
Oviedo came to my mind first as it is such a beautiful and interesting small city.
@PhilB, you can't go wrong with either of these suggestions, although they are as different as night and day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I absolutely loved Cudillero last spring and thankfully it was recommended to me by @peregrina2000 beforehand, as it is off the main trail.
Oviedo came to my mind first as it is such a beautiful and interesting small city.
@PhilB, you can't go wrong with either of these suggestions, although they are as different as night and day.
I have booked into Cudillero based on a number of suggestions. It will be a long day’s walk from Aviles. Cannot see a way to get to Oviedo and do it justice with our time available.

Another one for Casona de la Paca. It's in a particular type of villa (Indianos?) which were built in 19th C by those returning from South America with their fortunes. The inside is sumptuous and there are peaceful gardens to stroll.

From the map you can see that a short walk from the Casona is a Palacio (Palacio la Quinta de Selgas) which is worth a visit if only for their gardens. Also just another short walk is Restaurante Arbichera which does some lovely seafood dishes.

Of all the places I stayed on the Norte, this one was the standout.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Another one for Casona de la Paca. It's in a particular type of villa (Indianos?)
Yes a beautiful example of the so called Indiano house/style. It's a long time since my stay there (during honeymoon back in 2013), but I'm pretty sure I recall it was run/owned by nuns at the time! Still looks the same amazing place now though.

Also just another short walk is Restaurante Arbichera which does some lovely seafood dishes.
Yes we went here too, although we had steak which was amazing. I think at the time the daughter of the owner had just taken over.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.